HM Oil for 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dubber09
There seems to be no M1 HM 0w-40, there is 10w-40?

Not in Canada. The only 10w-40 Imperial Oil markets up here that I can think of is motorcycle oil.

diyjake: In addition to the 0w-40 suggestion, which is completely valid and reasonable, you could also try a HM oil in 5w-30 (or even 10w-30), and see if that helps consumption. Whatever you do choose, stick with it for at least two oil change intervals, since if something does happen to work, it won't be immediate.

I had a 2005 GC purchased new and a 2009 T&C purchased in 2013 with 64k on the odometer. Both consumed oul. Particularly the 2009. High Mileage oil helped reduce consumption considerably.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Maxlife 5w30 blend should do the job. No need to dump expensive synthetic in that motor.

+1. I would also keep a jug of the used oil you drained at the last Oil change and use that for top ups.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Stevie - I know you said M1 0w40 will work good, is that the only oil you would run in 0w40?

You wanted a Synthetic so that is the one I would pick that is a decent price usually on sale that offers excellent cold flow properties and is thicker to help with consumption which is presumably from the rings on that engine as typically the valve seals aren't problematic on that engine.

If you find it still burns the same amount then I would just use the cheapest 5w30 you can find and just change the filter regularly and just keep topping off.

Last edited:
We have 2 ‘05 Town & Countrys with the 3.8. My step daughter's burns a little more than mine does, and I've been running Amsoil XL 5w-20 of late in both. However, after reading a thread on a Jeep forum recently, I'm going to bump up to 30 weights for my changes in the Spring. I like running synthetics, so I'm either going to move up to 10w-30 Amsoil XL or if that doesn't cut down on the usage, I'll try Valvoline MaxLife, which I had success with in a Geo Prizm years ago. But after reading this thread on a Jeep forum, I'm convinced these engines just aren't meant for 20 weights. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/chrysler-got-wrong-5w-20-3-8-a-217397/page2/

Last edited:
Since you've tried xW-20 and 30, I agree with Stevie that you should try M1 0W-40 and if that still burns too much, use a cheap oil.

Don't be shocked to see that 3.8 use even more oil with High Mileage.... for the first two OCIs anyways. Both my GM V6s did.

The best oil usage-reducer is moving up in thickness. I would suggest 0W40.... even 5W-40.... fine for PA & Indy weather year-round. I wouldn't bother with high mileage, unless it begins to leave small spot-puddles below the engine.

I did plenty of experimentation with my 3.3l and found that 4 qts 40 wt 1 qt 50 wt gave me the lowest consumption without affecting performance. If you add too much 50wt the vehicle becomes sluggish but only use that regimen during the warmer months.

If you have no oil leak I would be hesitant to interchange HM and reg oils you will eventually develop a leak.

If you come to accept your consumption rate the 4th generation van used a pushrod engine originally designed to run on 10w-30 and I have found it runs very quiet on that oil irregardless of the brand. I would also focus on lower cost options if you come to accept your consumption rate

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JBinKC

If you have no oil leak I would be hesitant to interchange HM and reg oils you will eventually develop a leak.

Really?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Really?

I don't believe this is the case.

OP
Go with a duel rated HDEO 15W40 your consumption will drop.

It happened with my vehicle's filter housing gasket that had no signs of a leak before interchanged between HM and reg oils. I agree a 40 wt HDEO would be a good choice if your outdoor temps are higher than 15 F

It happened with my vehicle's filter housing gasket that had no signs of a leak before interchanged between HM and reg oils. I agree a 40 wt HDEO would be a good choice if your outdoor temps are higher than 15 F

Did you go back to HM oil and the leak stopped (again)? I ask because I went back and forth on several cars and never had a problem. In fact, the oil consumption in my Cadillac (which was pretty bad before HM) has continued to be low now that I have gone back to non-HM oil.

Originally Posted by dubber09
There seems to be no M1 HM 0w-40, there is 10w-40?

The 10W40 M1 high Mile oil is quite a bit thicker than the 0W-40 The 0w-40 is at the bottom end of the 40 scale and gets really close to a 30 with use . The 10w-40 is at the high end of the 40 scale .

Nice thing about oil burners is the 5 year 50k mile oci. Don't need to test even. j/k

Originally Posted by RyanY

Did you go back to HM oil and the leak stopped (again)? I ask because I went back and forth on several cars and never had a problem. In fact, the oil consumption in my Cadillac (which was pretty bad before HM) has continued to be low now that I have gone back to non-HM oil.

Did 2 OCIs with HM did 2 with reg and started to leak did 1 with HM leak got much worse then started to use stop leak products with no luck and finally the consumption got so bad I fixed the leak in Oct during my last OCI and what a pain in the [censored] repair using 3 different size bolts to take the housing off and also replaced the oil sending unit along with the gasket. I think if you have a consumption issue it's best to tackle it first with oil weight if you use HM oil my observation is best you commit to it life of vehicle.

Pure coincidence. The gasket was going to leak regardless of what you did. HM oil did not cause the leak. HM oil has no effect on gaskets, good or bad.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Pure coincidence. The gasket was going to leak regardless of what you did. HM oil did not cause the leak. HM oil has no effect on gaskets, good or bad.

Baloney! The gasket can either seal a prior leak thru stretch & seal (or) it can create a leak by ballooning the gasket unevenly.
HMs have reportedly sealed more leaks over the years, than created a leak. But both cases exist.

Let Google Search prove this matter. I report what I read and much of it is from Google search, which has much more info published, than any other search engine on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back