HM Oil for 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 V6 has been burning / losing oil since I bought it with 49k miles (currently at 155K miles). I was going through about 1 quart every 750 - 1,000 miles. I replaced the PCV valve and it got better but still burns about 1 quart every 1,200-1,500 miles. I have always used Mobil1 synthetic 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil but I am thinking about switching to a high mileage oil in 0w-30 or 5w-30. I prefer to use synthetic oil, what would you recommend?

I never did and still don't see any oil on the pavement. Valve covers do leak a little bit.

Last edited:
My old Chrysler Grand Caravan would use a quart every 1500-2000 miles since new. I bought Plain Valvoline for it, MS-6395 compliant. I was at the store one day and they were closing out some Havoline 5W-20 MS-6395 compliant synthetic for about 2 bucks a quart. I bought twelve for the next two oil changes. My consumption actually went up a little bit IIRC. I would stick with whatever is cheapest and meets the Chrysler spec.

IIRC there was a bunch of the 3.8L engines from around that time frame assembled in Mexico with the piston rings installed upside down. I wonder if this is one of them?

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'd use M1 0w40. I know that engine well.

M1 high mileage? 0w40 won't be too thick?

Originally Posted by diyjake

Too thick for what?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
IIRC there was a bunch of the 3.8L engines from around that time frame assembled in Mexico with the piston rings installed upside down. I wonder if this is one of them?

Very likely, never looked into that.

Originally Posted by CT8

Too thick for what?

Factory recommended oil is 5w-20 which is really thin, isn't 40 viscosity quite a bit thicker? Sorry if these questions are stupid, i'm just trying to learn as I go. I don't mind using 40 viscosity as long as no harm is done.

I am assuming fuel mileage will drop as well?

I ran 5w-30 in my 2007 3.8, starting with the first oil change.

Since you already use M1, my first choice would be to try some M1 High Mileage 5w-30... and then go from there.

Not HM, and no 0w40 will be fine in that engine. They originally ran on 5w30 when they first came out and then went to 5w20 for fuel economy standards.

Last edited:

Not HM, and no 0w40 will be fine in that engine. They originally ran on 5w30 when they first came out and then went to 5w20 for fuel economy standards.

I'll have to give that oil a try. Hopefully my fuel mileage doesn't go down too much, but it's pretty crappy already at an average of 16 mpg.

I'll keep my fingers crossed my local Wal-mart stocks M1 0w40.

Last edited:
You will be fine fuel economy wise, no worries. Cold temps affect it far more than a heavier weight oil.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My Ford Ranger started using a quart every 1k miles around the 40k mark on the 5w-20 it was back-spec'd for. I switched to Mobil1 5w-30 and it slowed down considerably. At around 70k I switched to Mobil1 HM 5w-30 and it now uses no oil between OCI's. FWIW.

Thanks for the advice guys! I tried using a 30 viscosity before and it didn't help so i'll try Stevie's recommendation and run some M1 0w40.

Last edited:
Stevie - I know you said M1 0w40 will work good, is that the only oil you would run in 0w40?

Last edited:
My 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 V6 has been burning / losing oil since I bought it with 49k miles (currently at 155K miles). I was going through about 1 quart every 750 - 1,000 miles. ...... what would you recommend?

Me too.... My 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 V6 used a quart every 1,500 miles.

I refuse to spend good money on an "oil burner".

Run the cheapest 10W-30 that meets API specs (STP is on clearance at Autozone right now

....................and pray that your transmission lasts as long as you think your engine is going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back