Highest VI 0W oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Cross Oil's SynGard 0W-30 has a 228 VI but as of a year or so ago it wasn't in production yet

Yet another one you northlanders can get (or eventually will get), along with the Syngard 0W-20, which we below the border are denied.
frown.gif

SynGard 0W-20 is made in Arkansas and is available.
If you're interested call them for the closest retailer:

http://www.crossoil.com/syngard_passenger_car_oils.php

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Cross Oil's SynGard 0W-30 has a 228 VI but as of a year or so ago it wasn't in production yet

Yet another one you northlanders can get (or eventually will get), along with the Syngard 0W-20, which we below the border are denied.
frown.gif

SynGard 0W-20 is made in Arkansas and is available.
If you're interested call them for the closest retailer:

http://www.crossoil.com/syngard_passenger_car_oils.php

WOW!!! Their 0W-30 has a 228 VI!!!
crazy2.gif

WHY bother with mixing, or paying for (lower VI) RLI 0W-30 when this is available??
confused2.gif

Are their add packs, and/or base oil selections that much inferior to everyone else's?

Originally Posted By: dparm
^ Never even seen the 0w30.

I contacted them about this, here is the response I received..

Hello Richard,

We are only able to provide 0W20 and 5W30 at this time. I'm hoping before the end of the year additional weights will be manufactured. I'll make a note to contact you as soon as its available or as the product lineup changes.

Thank you for your interest in our bio motor oils.

-DGP

I bought some G-OIL 0W-20 for use in my Ford Ranger. At Caterham's suggestion, I took a sample and sent it out for a VOA, including both KV@100 and KV@40 tests. I hope to have results within the week.

I will be using the G-OIL 0W-20 for my next oil change very soon, and doing a follow-up UOA.

So, CATERHAM, do you still think it is better to mix M1, or Red Line, 0W-40 with Sustina 0W-20, vs. just using either the G-Oil 0W-30 (IF it is ever released), or the Syn Gard 0W-30, straight up, with NO mixing??

ANY of the mixes WILL result in a LOWER VI.
What would be the advantage then over EITHER of these two high VI oils; a better base stock, a superior add pack (which I could maybe see/understand with the Red Line mix)???
21.gif

If you want to maximize the VI then using G-Oil or SynGard 0W-30 straight is the way to go in a presumably light (lowish HTHSV) 0W-30. I wouldn't have a problem with blending Sustina 0W-20 with either to make a heavier 0W-20 or lighter 0W-30. Of course it would be nice to learn a little about the new G-Oil 0W-30 if and when it becomes available first.

You could blend in some M1 0W-40, RL 0W-40 or even RLI 0W-30 if you wanted to thicken it up some.
If you want a more robust AW package blending in some RL 0W-40 would be what I'd likely do. I already use RL Break-In Additive to raise the ZDDP level of the blends I use. Using RL 0W-40 would mitigate the need to do that.

Thanks, yes I too want to see the specs on the 0W-30 G-Oil.

I found out today that the SynGard 0W-30 has a 3.0 HTHSV, is a mostly group 3 (not 3+, or GTL) with a "dash of PAO" (the tech's exact quote), SN levels of ZDDP, no moly (cost $$$), but boron and other undisclosed AW/AF compounds in the add pack (I will try to press them to see if they are using any of those ester based polymer AW/AF compounds next time I contact them
wink.gif
).

Of course, he owned up to them using the newest asteric polymer VIIs to get that crazy VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back