High zinc oils available in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the 20 odd years I’ve been using Mobil 1 15-50 it’s always had 1300 ppm/ 1200 ppm of zinc / phosphorus.

and Walmart has always carried it. Of course so does Amazon and all the usual suspects

Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 15W-50, 5 Quart

https://a.co/d/4xLolf0
Looks good, that oil is little too thick for my Tacoma. I use Liqui Moly’s Cera Tec every 20k miles for extra protection and cold start wear prevention. I have great success with it. It is not a traditional additive, ceramic based product that binds to metal.

Looks good, that oil is little too thick for my Tacoma. I use Liqui Moly’s Cera Tec every 20k miles for extra protection and cold start wear prevention. I have great success with it. It is not a traditional additive, ceramic based product that binds to metal.
"Cold start wear prevention" is not needed when the temperature induced MOFT is so high.

Last edited:
no additive will make an oil flow faster or slower if the oil pump is a positive displacement oil pump.

It will always move the same amount of oil with each revolution.

Z
It’s not an oil additive. Cera Tec is a ceramic based product that binds to the metal and creates an additional layer of protection. It also last upwards of 25k miles per treatment. One thing I commonly find is those they use it swear by the product but everyone that questions it has never even tried it. Major red flag in this argument… I suggest you try it and see for yourself.

It’s not an oil additive. Cera Tec is a ceramic based product that binds to the metal and creates an additional layer of protection. It also last upwards of 25k miles per treatment. One thing I commonly find is those they use it swear by the product but everyone that questions it has never even tried it. Major red flag in this argument… I suggest you try it and see for yourself.
You should ask for a commission.

It’s not an oil additive.
If it goes in the oil, it's an oil additive.
Cera Tec is a ceramic based product that binds to the metal and creates an additional layer of protection. It also last upwards of 25k miles per treatment.
If this is the whole of what the product does, then this begs the question as to why it's not included in their oil products. I suspect the reason is that the product impacts the oil's ability to pass ACEA or OEM testing protocols.
One thing I commonly find is those they use it swear by the product but everyone that questions it has never even tried it. Major red flag in this argument… I suggest you try it and see for yourself.
I mean, that's common with anything that somebody mentally invests in. The same arguments are made for Lucas, which is literally hot garbage with no additives, but people swear by it, and will tell you totally straight-faced that it's capable of all kinds of miracles.

High levels of moly are often associated with people claiming "smoother/quieter" but that doesn't mean there is any benefit from a wear, or actual performance perspective.

A major red flag isn't the questioning of bold claims bereft of evidence, it's those who are willing to mindlessly swallow those sorts of claims as fact. A critical mind is a hindrance only to the purveyor of such wares.

You should ask for a commission.
I always ask the obverse: if CeraTec were a legit, verifiable, beneficial additive package over available engine oils, why don’t other oil blenders license the technology from LM to add to their own oils? Why doesn’t LM offer any of its own oils with CeraTec blended in from the word go?

And yes, I’ve used CeraTec myself, before I realized these FACTS that a fully-formulated oil is always a better proposition than playing backyard mixer can deliver. In the absence of certifications, there are still industry-standard tests that can be used to assess an oil’s real performance.

And CeraTec has not been tested in any already-certified oils and been proven to improve that oil’s results…. That tells me all I need to know.

When you realize in a 5L sump that a treatment of CeraTec adds roughly $5/L additional, you really get into some serious oils that have actual test data… and if you’re reacting on DATA and not emotions, you should realize there are additional benefits to those oils that distance themselves far and above what any additive can deliver.

Not one test has been done by LM or any user of CeraTec that can produce a statistically different result from that of the original oil it’s mixed in. As people who don’t understand statistics but like additives are fond of saying, “the proof is in the pudding….”, but… it isn’t. Use an oil suited to the task at hand.

I always ask the obverse: if CeraTec were a legit, verifiable, beneficial additive package over available engine oils, why don’t other oil blenders license the technology from LM to add to their own oils? Why doesn’t LM offer any of its own oils with CeraTec blended in from the word go?

And yes, I’ve used CeraTec myself, before I realized these FACTS that a fully-formulated oil is always a better proposition than playing backyard mixer can deliver. In the absence of certifications, there are still industry-standard tests that can be used to assess an oil’s real performance.

And CeraTec has not been tested in any already-certified oils and been proven to improve that oil’s results…. That tells me all I need to know.

When you realize in a 5L sump that a treatment of CeraTec adds roughly $5/L additional, you really get into some serious oils that have actual test data… and if you’re reacting on DATA and not emotions, you should realize there are additional benefits to those oils that distance themselves far and above what any additive can deliver.

Not one test has been done by LM or any user of CeraTec that can produce a statistically different result from that of the original oil it’s mixed in. As people who don’t understand statistics but like additives are fond of saying, “the proof is in the pudding….”, but… it isn’t. Use an oil suited to the task at hand.
Indeed. No matter how much PFM you sprinkle on the Hiram Walker, it'll never be a Gordon & Macphail Private Collection Milton 1949.

Well, it works great for me and everyone I know that uses it too. I don’t work for the company but I do like their products. They are particularly popular in the European market. Realistically, if it was a sham it would not have nearly 19k positive reviews on Amazon. Old dogs, new tricks…

Yep all these people are wrong… lol

Last edited:
Well, it works great for me and everyone I know that uses it too. I don’t work for the company but I do like their products. They are particularly popular in the European market. Realistically, if it was a sham it would not have nearly 19k positive reviews on Amazon. Old dogs, new tricks…
Have you tried some of the non-bottom-shelf available oils, or even some of the mainly-mail-order small blender offerings and gotten dissimilar results to what you think you’ve achieved using CeraTec?

Because unless you’ve tried other available, fully-formulated offerings OR have documented, repeatable results with instrumented data, what @OVERKILL and @kschachn are trying to tell you is: if you try something with no “standard” to compare it against, generally speaking, the one you paid extra money for & have heard “good reviews” about without any way to validate an improvement will ALWAYS be the better performer. Ever read about the placebo effect?

Have you tried some of the non-bottom-shelf available oils, or even some of the mainly-mail-order small blender offerings and gotten dissimilar results to what you think you’ve achieved using CeraTec?

Because unless you’ve tried other available, fully-formulated offerings OR have documented, repeatable results with instrumented data, what @OVERKILL and @kschachn are trying to tell you is: if you try something with no “standard” to compare it against, generally speaking, the one you paid extra money for & have heard “good reviews” about without any way to validate an improvement will ALWAYS be the better performer. Ever read about the placebo effect?
Dude, I’ve rebuilt multiple motors and I’m an engineer, I’m not a mechanic by trade, but I’m not an idiot and I know how to take care of my vehicles. I know what cold start valve clatter sounds like and I’ve recorded multiple videos demonstrating the difference showing before and after using this product. It’s not some miracle product but it’s also not snake oil. I suggest you get off your high horse and take a min to read the testimonials on the reviews. I know there is no convincing you but don’t be a douche when there is obvious evidence that the product works. If you think 19k people have placebo effect you are delusional. Anyway, I will leave it at that. Good luck.

Dude, I’ve rebuilt multiple motors and I’m an engineer, I’m not a mechanic by trade, but I’m not an idiot and I know how to take care of my vehicles. I know what cold start valve clatter sounds like and I’ve recorded multiple videos demonstrating the difference showing before and after using this product. It’s not some miracle product but it’s also not snake oil. I suggest you get off your high horse and take a min to read the testimonials on the reviews. I know there is no convincing you but don’t be a douche when there is obvious evidence that the product works. If you think 19k people have placebo effect you are delusional. Anyway, I will leave it at that. Good luck.
Dude, I’m an engineer too and have rebuilt (and built) several motors including at least two that run low 10s on pump gas myself, so don’t think it’s a high horse. Think of it as trying to save you money and heartache, ‘cause I used to be where you are now: “I can skip the expensive oils, and mix up my own blend to try to save some cash, and get the “same” results.” I’ve learned since those days, and am trying to pass that along since this site helped me as well. Listen to @OVERKILL and @RDY4WAR if you think I’m a douche…

But the reality is different when you look at actual unemotional data: you can’t take a pig and slap some lipstick on it and have yourself an Arabian stallion. And if you’ve got 19k “testimonials” yet zero objective data, don’t believe for a second that there’s not placebo effect going on.

Answer (to yourself) this simple question: if CeraTec is so great, why doesn’t LM offer any of its OWN OILS with it from the factory?

I know there’s no convincing you that your perceived benefit cannot be proven to exist, so carry on. ✌️

If you were an engineer, I think you would understand what everyone is getting at here.

@OVERKILL it just hit me why that term is known to both of us: you work in Canadian nuclear facilities. I was exposed to that term while training to run naval nukes down here.

I came across it on my first test during calculus; that was before I had a firm grip of the concepts, but had somehow come up with the correct answer but the supporting work was nonexistent. It was a 10pt question, and my test was marked: -9, PFM in large letters. Imagine my surprise when I asked the Lieutenant what PFM stood for…

Realistically, if it was a sham it would not have nearly 19k positive reviews on Amazon. Old dogs, new tricks…
Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 9.49.35 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 9.49.57 PM.jpg

Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which is absolutely a sham, has a higher rating than Ceretec and 7,118 positive reviews.

Amazon reviews are not a preponderance of evidence as to the efficacy of a product.

View attachment 178082
View attachment 178083

Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which is absolutely a sham, has a higher rating than Ceretec and 7,118 positive reviews.

Amazon reviews are not a preponderance of evidence as to the efficacy of a product.
Wait… are you saying that subjective reviews should not receive any weight in one’s analysis of a product’s effectiveness? That one should rely on… objective data that eschews emotions for repeatable, measurable results? Waaaaaaat? 🤣

And yes. I know I’ve been guilty of same in the past. And I can laugh about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back