High zinc oils available in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 choices I use on my vehicles are Redline and driven GP-1. The engines I rebuild I use redline, the mild cam/heads and intake engine on a stock old bottom end I use the GP-1

That's sad. I can't let something go like that. I'm too prideful. I balance every crankshaft regardless. Even pre-balanced ones can have a rather crappy balance.

If you don't know the bearing clearance, and assuming you may have to start it in cold weather, I'd use HPL HDMO 5W-40 or Driven DT40 5W-40. If oil pressure is low (
Any performance engine should be balanced to less than 4 grams, equal to 0.25 ounces imbalance, and that’s being generous. In reality, it’s not that hard these days with a decent shop with good equipment to hit 1 gram imbalance. NOTHING should be pulled from the box and installed without checking, even “balanced rotating assemblies”.

It’s YOUR money they’re wasting if they don’t do these steps properly, so find a shop that respects your investment in the engine!

The HPS series oils from Royal Purple are close to that, there are lots of UOA on here.
1158 PPM was what showed on my last UOA.

Joe Gibbs Driven available at Summit Racing. I called Joe Gibbs direct and asked for a recommendation for my car and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

I use TEXAS REFINERY .. also a salesman for them . We have a oil TRC PRO SPEC III WITH or Without MOLY

1400 ppm of ZINC and with a BN (BASE NUMBER ) of 15

I have a lot of testimonials of the sucess and longevity that is a result of the oil and the machines that run the oil.

I use TEXAS REFINERY .. also a salesman for them . We have a oil TRC PRO SPEC III WITH or Without MOLY

1400 ppm of ZINC and with a BN (BASE NUMBER ) of 15

I have a lot of testimonials of the sucess and longevity that is a result of the oil and the machines that run the oil.
Do they have any certifications or 3rd party testing showing their oils exceed the certification requirements?

Any performance engine should be balanced to less than 4 grams, equal to 0.25 ounces imbalance, and that’s being generous. In reality, it’s not that hard these days with a decent shop with good equipment to hit 1 gram imbalance. NOTHING should be pulled from the box and installed without checking, even “balanced rotating assemblies”.

It’s YOUR money they’re wasting if they don’t do these steps properly, so find a shop that respects your investment in the engine!

Yes! The pre-balanced kits from Eagle and Scat are only balanced to within 10 grams. I'm not happy with it until I'm under 1 gram.

A 10 gram imbalance in a 383ci is >40 lbs imbalance at 6000 rpm. Imagine hammering the crankshaft with 40 lbs of force 50 times every second.

Yes! The pre-balanced kits from Eagle and Scat are only balanced to within 10 grams. I'm not happy with it until I'm under 1 gram.

A 10 gram imbalance in a 383ci is >40 lbs imbalance at 6000 rpm. Imagine hammering the crankshaft with 40 lbs of force 50 times every second.
When I built my last performance engine I searched all the local machine shops for a specific balancing machine, because I had done my research. NONE of the “big name” local machine shops had anything comparable; Polarek Racing Engines was the only place at the time who was “local” and also had the right machine (its been so long I forgot the specific make/model now).

Polarek balanced the rotating assembly to 0.27g for a SBF 363 (4.125 Dart block/3.4” Eagle crank). At that time, not many builds were internally balancing 8.2” deck RAs unless you were beaucoup bucks. It paid off; I ended up selling the engine before I put it into my car, but the guy that bought the engine ended up running 10.30s around 132 in an ‘87 notchback, NA. Not bad for a “tame” 363/AFR 205/Funnelweb EFI pump gas combo IMO. In a roundabout way, the $600 balance job ended up being worth every penny, as the engine ran smooth as a Lexus LS400.

Nobody looks at a 302 block and thinks, “that thing makes 550+ HP”… but that one did. At 7600 rpm with Jesel shaft rockers 😯 Dang, I wish I had skipped the first wife and kept that engine instead…

That makes me miss my 347. (4.03 x 3.40) It was TFS headed (11/13 valve angles) with a custom grind hydraulic roller, 11.2 compression, Victor intake, and 800 CFM carb that made 481 rwhp @ 7200 rpm. That was a stock E7 block. I had a TKO-500 behind it with a 9" rear in a '93 hatchback. I drove that combo all over the place, including 2 round trips from Maryland to Oklahoma.

A 0.27g balance is outstanding. I bet that engine was really smooth.

I’ve used Mobil 1 15w-50 for over two decades in countless classic cars, my own & customers. All with flat tappet engines. It has 1300 ppm zinc / 1200 ppm phosphorus (zddp). In my anecdotal experience, it has fabulous wear protection.

In my ‘66 GT-350 I put over 88,000 miles on it over a 12 year period using the M-1 with no measurable wear on the crank and rod bearings. BTW, for what it’s worth, it is advertised as formulated for classic engines. Also have used it in ‘63-‘67 Sting Ray’s, e type Jaguars, Triumph TR-4’s, 6’s, and Spitfires, In numerous vintage Fords & Mercury’s, as well as vintage Shelby Cobras. In all temperatures from 20 F to 120 F. Never a single oil related issue.

Well priced at about $27 in most Wal-Marts.

Z

PS I take the engine builders directive to not use synthetic oil about as seriously as the OP does. He should be saying the opposite.

Yeah that's the thing. It wasn't a pre balanced kit. He thought it was already balanced by someone else or that it was pre balanced, but it wasn't. The balanced ones have a B at the end of the part number, he did not use that one.

@zray1 you mean standard off the shelf Mobil 1 has that in it?

@zray1 you mean standard off the shelf Mobil 1 has that in it?

Yes. You can go on the Mobiloil web site and get the spec sheet for all of their oils which lists the zinc and phosphorus levels in ppm.

If this link doesn’t work just Google “Mobil oil specifications”

chrome://external-file/Mobil%201%20Engine%20Oils%20Product%20Guide%20Sheet%20-May%202022.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_7647.jpg
    IMG_7647.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
Found this from another forum:

PHOSPHORUS: ESP= 900 - EUROPEAN= 1000

ZINC: ESP= 990 - EUROPEAN= 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back