High speed driving

GUYS
Thank you for all the responses :)

my concern isn’t just engine health. What about the tranny at these speeds? Do I need to do more fluid exchanges on it since higher speeds will cause higher fluid temps?
What about things like wheel bearings? Will this cause premature wear?
Stuff like that 🙃
Thanks brotatoes
Driving 80mph every day you are keeping everything in healthy condition! Best conditions for engine and transmission.
You do same amount of damage to engine and transmission in a year that someone does in a month driving just to grocery store and back.

So were you just bouncing off the speed governor all the time?
I'm not sure when it's suppose to kick in, and I'm the second owner, never felt any governor of any sort, do they have it in this specific vehicle? I wouldn't know how a governor would feel as I never have experienced it nor did it Loose any power at any given time.

What are you driving that 80 is 4,000 RPM? None of my cars even the truck see that kind of RPM at 80. Towing the trailer at 65 I can be under 2000. In the rest of the cars? At 4000 RPM in final over drive, well I would need bail money.
Nothing. I was thinking of other countries with higher speed limits where people drive cars with small engines for extended distances at higher RPM much of the time and they don't suffer premature engine failures or excessive wear. With the kind of fairly low-speed cruising, and most engines larger than 1.4 liters, most engines in the US never see what I'd consider high RPM when cruising. As I said, I wouldn't worry about it at all. An engine that gets too hot is an indication to slow down. Just keep an eye on oil temperature/pressure and coolant temperature.

Driving 80mph every day you are keeping everything in healthy condition! Best conditions for engine and transmission.
You do same amount of damage to engine and transmission in a year that someone does in a month driving just to grocery store and back.
No driving means zero wear, constant acceleration and deceleration increases wear, going steadily at any speed within the performance envelope minimizes wear. Exceeding performance limits much of the time, lugging and redlining, will break things. Machines do best under homeostasis.

Last time I was on the Autobahn, the company pool car - Ford Mondeo Diesel estate I had wouldn't go more than indicated 210km/h, but the Garmin showed we were actually going 193km/h. Most OEM's set the speedo to show a lower speed than actual for obvious legal reasons, expect up to 5% optimism in your dash needle.

Yes, if you are running the factory tyre sizes 5% or more is expected. 6% +1 kph is in the documentation for my car.

So were you just bouncing off the speed governor all the time?
They’re electronic anymore, you just “hit a wall” and it stops accelerating. In my 300 at its 130mph governed limit if you kept your foot to the floor it would stay in 5th gear and be screaming at 5,000rpm. Let off a bit and it would shift to 7th and be turning ~3,500rpm but maintain 130.

Former, NNJ native, I still miss the "racetrack" on 287 between Parsippany and the Wayne/Pompton Lakes area. Not a lot of places for cops to sit and the places they did, were always the same.

What a fun road to drive, especially when it was cooler weather and I had my Grand Prix GTP. I'd be in boost most of my drive home from work, always with an eye out. Helped that my drive home was 9-10pm so the highway was mostly empty. Fun times, and from my observations, unless you were being particularly reckless, or clearly inattentive, cops weren't interested in you. The only place I commonly saw people pulled over was at the bottom of the hill as you approached the 287/RT-23 interchange. The same goes heading southbound, generally rare to see people pulled over until you got down near the 287/80 interchange. I wonder if that has changed in the 6 or so years since I moved out NJ.
Not interested? Out of state plates will make them very "interested"

What are you driving that 80 is 4,000 RPM? None of my cars even the truck see that kind of RPM at 80. Towing the trailer at 65 I can be under 2000. In the rest of the cars? At 4000 RPM in final over drive, well I would need bail money.

I've not driven a modern car that does anywhere close to that cruising at 80. Most are 2K-3K.

My MG with a 1:1 top gear and 3.92:1 rear end does 4000 at 70mph. 4th gear is about 550rpm/10mph, so 80mph gets you to 4500 and 90mph is a little over 5K. The 5500rpm "Yellow Line" puts you right at 100mph. The overdrive is a dream since it drops your RPMs 18% in any gear(mine works in 3rd and 4th). That makes it 3200rpms in 4th OD at 70mph, and 3700rpms at 80.

BTW, yes I do drive it that fast, and regularly. I've not flirted with going over 5K for more than a second or so on my freshly rebuilt engine, but once I have 1500 miles or so on it(I'm not far off) I certainly will.

GUYS
Thank you for all the responses :)

my concern isn’t just engine health. What about the tranny at these speeds? Do I need to do more fluid exchanges on it since higher speeds will cause higher fluid temps?
What about things like wheel bearings? Will this cause premature wear?
Stuff like that 🙃
Thanks brotatoes
80 should not harm the trans at all. It should be in torque converter lockup, spinning gears-only all the way through. Its liquid cooled, so it can dissipate heat effectively. Now, 80 with a big trailer behind it, thats a different story. now, if theres a ton of brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate, it will start to build up heat, but youve got to really flog it before it would be beyond the cooling capacity. A low speed mud-bog in 4wd with limited air flow is more likely to overheat the trans.

years ago, the 4-runners were narrow for their height. I knew 2 friends that rolled them at 65-70 due to blowouts. The newer ones are a bit wider. 80 doesnt leave a lot of room for correcting roll or yaw inertia before it goes beyond a point of no return.

m

Last time I drove to the South Dakota/Wyoming border I had the cruise set to 88 with blips to 120, and it was 99F that day. Only adverse effect was I burned a lot of gas. Drove from Zurich to Rome and back last year, and kept it to 85-90 since the rental Giulia had snow tires on it. Again, just burned a lot of fuel.

Last time I drove to the South Dakota/Wyoming border I had the cruise set to 88 with blips to 120, and it was 99F that day. Only adverse effect was I burned a lot of gas. Drove from Zurich to Rome and back last year, and kept it to 85-90 since the rental Giulia had snow tires on it. Again, just burned a lot of fuel.
1997-98 I am with friend in his Alfa 155 V6 somewhere between Venice and Milan. He is driving 90-100mph.
Carabinieri stop us bcs. foreign plates, just to check. Anyway they done checking papers and one of them tell my friend: “why you driving so slow? It is Alfa. Either drive it like Alfa or get German car.”
Good ole 90’s on European roads.

Mileage at 70 way better than 80 according to the instant read on my CX-5. My Tempest with 3.55 gear and 26” tires revs @ about 3600 at 80 MPH. 4000 RPM sounds like stuck in second gear. Ever hear song about little Nash Rambler? Beep-beep.

I just got back from a 200 mile interstate trip in my 2017 3.6 V6 GMC Canyon, 8 speed automatic. I drove 80 mph the whole way when possible. The tach is dead on 2,000 rpm at 80 mph.
Like I clarified in a follow-up post, I was more thinking of small engines and how they don't suffer from premature wear due to extended higher RPM at speeds 80 and up. 80mph may be relatively fast for a truck but obviously the engine isn't breaking a sweat.

My old '01 A4 1.8T manual would be turning around 4000 RPM at 80 MPH, but I agree most modern vehicles are geared much lower. Wife's Q5 turns around 2000 RPM at that speed. My 530i manual turns around 3000 RPM.

I believe OP's 4runner should be around 2400 RPM at that speed.
My 89 Soarer goes 93mph at 4000rpm , that's in 4th gear.

I smell a lot of bull dookey in some of these posts. >50 mph over for "hours on end" ha ha ha

80 is nothing in South Dakota. I pull my boat frequently with my truck at 80mph and have never had a problem. This is on the interstate only where the speed limit is 80 mph. Around here you get run over if you drive any less than that.

Back