High speed driving

I take the Taconic and Sprain Brook everyday for work. You'll get passed doing 80.

Haha!! That is a fact. Morning commute 80mph is the minimum in left lane. Those of us that drive it get used to every nook and cranny and overlook how these roads were hurridly designed with little thought toward future growth to get people working during FDR's New Deal. Many less than desirable turns and narrow lanes with often NO shoulder. Or the lovely rain grates that are raised so you sure do notice them when you hammer over them.

I live 2 miles off the Taconic on the mt by the I-84 exit.

I take the Taconic and Sprain Brook everyday for work. You'll get passed doing 80.
Once you get north of I84 on the Taconic there seem to be more police. I was pulled over recently at the north end of the Taconic for driving a UHAUL van on the Taconic. It had commercial plates and thus not allowed. It was just an informational stop.

Cruising at 80 mph is easier on a vehicle than around town short tripping. Not sure how many vehicles turn 4000 RPM at 80 mph. My BMW is under 3000 RPM at 80 and so is my 1998 Wrangler.

As far as driving slower, yeah it will be better for economy, but there are many times where I'm doing 80 mph on the highway around here and I'm in the slow lane getting passed like I'm standing still.

Not sure how many vehicles turn 4000 RPM at 80 mph. My BMW is under 3000 RPM at 80 and so is my 1998 Wrangler.
My old '01 A4 1.8T manual would be turning around 4000 RPM at 80 MPH, but I agree most modern vehicles are geared much lower. Wife's Q5 turns around 2000 RPM at that speed. My 530i manual turns around 3000 RPM.

I believe OP's 4runner should be around 2400 RPM at that speed.

Last edited:
Nah. That's just commuting. My DD and I do ~16 miles in ~12 minutes every day and have been for years. Probably better for the engine than constantly stopping and going.

My jeep wont even go into 9th gear until going 90mph downhill.. oh wait thats a jeep thing... :LOL: (I dont understand the gearing either)

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?
80 mph is nothing for that vehicle !
my concern would be reaction times in emergency situations, Really can't answer for your driving capabilities, condition of brakes tires and suspension.

You're fine. IMO 80 mph is on the edge of high speed for that drivetrain but I think you're fine. IFor piece of mind you can always move to a 5w30 euro-spec oil (ACEA A3/B4) oil if that makes you feel better as it'll have a slightly higher HTHS.

I remember the first time driving the Taconic--I nearly blew through a red light, as I was thinking it was a highway. Oops. Driving early in the morning in the dark was not helpful.

Fun road. Loved it in my Jetta. Took it in my Tundra and hated it!

Not sure I'd want to DD a 4Runner at 80mph but I routinely do the same in my much older Camry, I'm going to guess it's probably far more sketchy than yours. I don't think twice about it: I've had the valve cover off a few times and if anything, the varnish is slowly going away. I don't think the engine cares--the transmission probably does, I had to question myself about my "wisdom" on a 2->3 shift at 6k.

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?
What makes you wonder if driving at 80 mph would be detrimental?

The 2007 still spec'd 30 grade so you shouldn't need anything thicker, and technically within the original guidelines there isn't any thicker oil you can put in it since it has to be ILSAC oil, although since the warranty is up and it doesn't matter what exactly you put in there Mobil1 0w40 may be a good choice.

Depends....on what OP's manual says.

There shouldn't be any need for oil viscosity changes, cruising at 80 mph on the highway in the highest gear will have very little engine load. Much lower than around town driving, towing, etc. I typically get the best mpg cruising between 70-80 mph.

Back