High quality 5W40 for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K.

So, modern superbikes like a Suzuki GSXR 1000, a Honda CBR Fireblade, A BMW S1000 R, a Kawasaki ZX 10 Ninja wich delivers over 200 HP from 1 Liter displacment at 14.000 RPM and use Fully Synthetic PAO motorcycle 10w-40 oils (And no 0w-40) are

" older engine technology, matched with older oil technology."

(y) Yes, sure...

The point that racing oils have less detergents was also part of the phone call between me and the Rowe technican. But thnaks for reminding me. Again.

I am off for Ski holliday, it´s better for all i think. Every discussion cames to a point where people start to chaime in but dont have read all pages before. And that is when things become really cumbersome.

Bye!
Your car runs at 14,000rpm? And has same sump? Do you get groceries with your bike? Take it to ski? Drop kids to school? Wow.

O.K.

So, modern superbikes like a Suzuki GSXR 1000, a Honda CBR Fireblade, A BMW S1000 R, a Kawasaki ZX 10 Ninja wich delivers over 200 HP from 1 Liter displacment at 14.000 RPM and use Fully Synthetic PAO motorcycle 10w-40 oils (And no 0w-40) are

(y) Yes, sure...

The point that racing oils have less detergents was also part of the phone call between me and the Rowe technican. But thnaks for reminding me. Again.

I am off for Ski holliday, it´s better for all i think. Every discussion cames to a point where people start to chaime in but dont have read all pages before. And that is when things become really cumbersome.

Bye!

I don’t think you understood my post.

The majority of bikes sales, are not those bikes. They’re very inexpensive, low Hp bikes. the bikes you’re mentioning are very low market share bikes in North America and Europe.

Since the majority of bikes already used a 10w40 before. Product development of course made full synthetic versions, for those who can afford it. Then higher end bike designers, used a product that already worked in a very similar application. Why re-design a new product from the ground up? No need to. Thus, why bikes traditionally use 10w40. Same reason why large diesels traditionally use 15w40 and 10w30 just hasn’t been able to penetrate the market well. Let alone your 0w40 or 5w30s.

Now, to the racing oils. Yes, which is a good reason why racing oils shouldn’t always be used for every day driving. And especially extended oil changes. Now, formulations change a lot. And can heavily differ from brand to brand. Thus HPL’s formulation for racing oils is probably much different than say, Mobil 1 racing oil. Is different than Drivens. Is different from redline. Etc.

So it’s not a generic statement. It’s more specific in what is, and what is not usable in daily drivers.

O.K.

(y) Yes, sure...

Bye!
While you are skiing perhaps contemplate why Snowmobiles, like the Yamaha Sidewinder SRX LE EPS which are powered by 998cc engines making over 200HP (sound familiar?) can spec 0W-40? And how this might tie into what @Foxtrot08 has noted here.

You continue to, I must assume intentionally, ignore many of the salient points made in this thread to continue to justify the mindset you've clearly invested so much in.

I'll guess that it has something to do with cylinder wall finish.
I doubt there's any difference. Castrol makes a 5W-40 bike oil, Lucas (*shudder*) makes a 0W-40 bike oil. Most ATV's spec the whole range from 10W-40 to 0W-40 like my Can-Am.

AMSOIL said:
Use in ATVs, snowmobiles and other powersports applications that require 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil, including those made by Polaris,* Honda,* Yamaha,* BRP,* Can-Am,* Suzuki,* Kawasaki* and Arctic Cat.*

While you are skiing perhaps contemplate why Snowmobiles, like the Yamaha Sidewinder SRX LE EPS which are powered by 998cc engines making over 200HP (sound familiar?) can spec 0W-40? And how this might tie into what @Foxtrot08 has noted here.

You continue to, I must assume intentionally, ignore many of the salient points made in this thread to continue to justify the mindset you've clearly invested so much in.
Hey mods, any chance we can get a 🔥 like emoji? 🤣

I doubt there's any difference. Castrol makes a 5W-40 bike oil, Lucas (*shudder*) makes a 0W-40 bike oil. Most ATV's spec the whole range from 10W-40 to 0W-40 like my Can-Am.

The reason I mentioned cylinder wall finish is something I read about a very smooth shinny finish reduces moft, while the opposite
was found to increase moft. I was chasing the topic of "sustainable elastohydrodynamic lubrication" and found something
on the subject. I think it might have been here www.mdpi.com or here www.savantlab.com

Typically motorcycle engines and the like have a sprayed on cylinder wall with a matt finish, which should increase moft.

key words; very high shear rate @ 100C, high pressure, viscometry, traction, pressure,

Last edited:
So, there some history into oil development from this as well. Due to consumer demand. We still see this today in products. Think of it as like a tree.

So first you had two strokes. Once the move was made over to 4 strokes, Before multi weight oils, you primarily had 10w and 40w oils.

So naturally, the next step in product development, was a 10w-40. As multi weight oils was made more popular, we developed full synthetics.

That technology was taken to motorcycle oils through demands in NA and Euro markets. This helped performance increases to happen in motorcycles.

Now branching off that, as snowmobiles and ATVs went from two stroke, to 4 stroke. They first used 10w40s. But with cold weather being more of a concern, they adapted the technology of 0w40’s. Because they have to sit out in the cold, start below zero. Etc.

Now I’ve had ATVs my entire life. My first two Yamahas were 2 stroke. My first Polaris was 2 stroke. My first Honda took a 10w40. My first Polaris 4 stroke took a 0w40. Now they take like 5w50. As they run much hotter. Have small cooling systems. Often gets plugged with mud. Etc.

So the 0w40s and such branched off later on, as demand (and technology) was there for them.

In non NA and Euro markets, price and technology still lags behind. So they’re still using 10w40. And in a lot of cases, old mono grade technology is still used.

This can be seen in manuals for vehicles that are sold around the world. The reason why 0w20s and such aren’t spec’d everywhere is simply product availability and cost.

Last edited:
Are you sure the LM is PAO, and how do you know? Many of their offerings I’ve looked at that they recommend for my engines don’t seem overly impressive even just compared to Ravenol.

And when Ravenol is more $ than HPL, it’s a no-brainer for me: US made, owned, and supported plus a BITOG sponsor vs. a (very respectable) German competitor!👍🏻
I looked into buying HPL but the shipping to Canada alone was $68 which is double what I usually pay for a gallon of mobil 1 0w40 fs. Total price would be like $160 for one oil change. Usually it's about $40. Way out of my budget.

Canada-

Canadian Tire 0W-40 -

5W-40-

Note that the Shell Helix Euro, Pennzoil Euro, Motormaster Euro, and Quaker State Euro are the same oil, different bottle…

Further, the add package is the same in the 0W-40 and 5W-40, just a little viscosity difference (when cold, I believe)…

Canada-

Canadian Tire 0W-40 -

5W-40-

Note that the Shell Helix Euro, Pennzoil Euro, Motormaster Euro, and Quaker State Euro are the same oil, different bottle…

Further, the add package is the same in the 0W-40 and 5W-40, just a little viscosity difference (when cold, I believe)…
One of the best European oil.(low Noack, high hths for a good price)

I intentionally kept referring to my buddy Owen as NOAK.
He didn't notice.
How fragile has this world become anyway?
I have no idea what NOAK means, been a member on here for a while,
refuse to do homework.
Owen lol. sounds like a pig right?

belt-in-oil-web.jpg

Imagine timing belt instead of chain
unavoidable on many new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back