High performance lubricants oil

That's why the OE approvals, particularly the Euro ones, raise the bar by capping Noack and mandating a level of performance in demanding engine tests.
The new dexos 1 Gen 3 spec raised the bar some in some specific performance categories. dexos specs seem to be quite a bit more stringent than the API and ILSAC specs.

I lean towards motor tear downs with parts weighed and measured to extremely exacting standards vs those same parts brand new and measured and weighed to the same extremely exact standard.
Best to get all the main parts that wear irradiated with different isotopes, then run the used oil through a Geiger counter. That's how the pros that study engine wear do it.😄

Best to get all the main parts that wear irradiated with different isotopes, then run the used oil through a Geiger counter. That's how the pros that study engine wear do it.😄

I seriously believe weights and measurements can be utilized with enough precise measurements to do the job simply enough.

I seriously believe weights and measurements can be utilized with enough precise measurements to do the job simply enough.
Looks like you'd need a scale that would be capable of measuring down to a micogram.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0043164819300870
"An analytical balance with 1 µg resolution was used to measure the ring segment weight loss."

With irradiated parts, you can do a wear measurement at every OCI by just draining the oil ... zero tear down.

Last edited:
This may be a tool... But it's a tool. Could be helpful but it's obvious this is rather early in it's development.

This is what really called a experimental fancy UOA.... With all the statistical analysis etc etc etc to go along with it.

It was also about DLC coating vs regular parts .... Nothing wrong with that.

But it's not related to other circumstances.

Give me real parts that can be weighed and measured. . New and then used ones.

Last edited:
Give me real parts that can be weighed and measured. . New and then used ones.
All I was pointing out in that article was the fact that they used a scale with a 1 microgram resolution to measure the weight of a piston ring, and how much resolution you would need if weighing parts to determine the amount of wear. Piston rings don't weigh much to start with, so you would need a super high resolution weight scale to see very small wear changes.

I hope I am not going out on a limb here, LOL, but I do think that whoever brought HPL onto this board met or either talked with them.
I met with Dave at the plant, because I wanted to make sure HPL was the real deal before even discussing a relationship with BITOG. HPL makes an outstanding product. Their purpose in life seems to be to make outstanding products. It's their passion.

All I was pointing out in that article was the fact that they used a scale with a 1 microgram resolution to measure the weight of a piston ring, and how much resolution you would need if weighing parts to determine the amount of wear. Piston rings don't weigh much to start with, so you would need a super high resolution weight scale to see very small wear changes.

I'm with you man. . I gotcha.

I think that research paper definitely gives a very interesting direction to maybe go forward in.

It does appear to be a possible very helpful analysis tool.

tommy-boy-guarantee-on-the-box.jpg

My circumstances are consistent.
Two more successive 20k mile UOAs are in the cards.
I will be happy to report that.
Except that a UOA really doesn’t show how “good” an oil is performing. It is much more representative of engine design and operating conditions. It certainly does not show qualitative operating differences between two oils.

People on here place highly exaggerated importance and significance on $30 spectrographic analyses that is very much unwarranted.

Except that a UOA really doesn’t show how “good” an oil is performing. It is much more representative of engine design and operating conditions. It certainly does not show qualitative operating differences between two oils.

People on here place highly exaggerated importance and significance on $30 spectrographic analyses that is very much unwarranted.

This is exactly where my ideas divurge from yours and others.

Considering this thread title, do you see HPL posting Blackstone UOA here to document the performance of their oil?

No. My educated guess is that they do not wish to report the specific results of in house testing at this time. This does not necessarily reflect on the legitimacy of UOA trends.

Considering this thread title, do you see HPL posting Blackstone UOA here to document the performance of their oil?
HPL uses an independent lab to test UOAs. They have an outstanding lab, but you don't publish test results from your own lab, instead you send samples to an independent lab that doesn't have a horse in the race.

Back