High performance lubricants oil

So are you saying API certification is meaningless? Or is it only meaningless if we like the company producing the oil without the API certification?

Correct me if I am wrong, and I want someone to, but I always thought the "API Starburst" (which I have never seen on any grade thicker than 30, by the way) was speaking as to an oil's "coefficient of friction" or I may be saying that wrong, and that certain specific criterion made it able to get the Starburst, related to fuel economy or something. An oil could be perfectly fine and miss the stated goal by 1/10th or something and not get it. Just like P0420 can have something working 90% or higher efficiently (95%) and still set, may the experts come in and clear this up about what the API Starburst certification actually is and means?

The "Resource Conserving" part.

It's a 30 grade, it is API Certified...

API-Starburst-Service-Donut.jpg

I'm confused, are we talking about:

High Performance Lubricants in Manteno, IL

OR

HPL in Hebron, IN

Due to their relatively close geographic proximity to one another it would lead me to believe that some might confuse one for the other, that being said I'm confident that both make exceptional products.

OR

HPL in Hebron, IN

Due to their relatively close geographic proximity to one another it would lead me to believe that some might confuse one for the other, that being said I'm confident that both make exceptional products.

High Performance Lubricants in Manteno, IL.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I want someone to, but I always thought the "API Starburst" (which I have never seen on any grade thicker than 30, by the way) was speaking as to an oil's "coefficient of friction" or I may be saying that wrong, and that certain specific criterion made it able to get the Starburst, related to fuel economy or something. An oil could be perfectly fine and miss the stated goal by 1/10th or something and not get it. Just like P0420 can have something working 90% or higher efficiently (95%) and still set, may the experts come in and clear this up about what the API Starburst certification actually is and means?

The "Resource Conserving" part.

It's a 30 grade, it is API Certified...

View attachment 103727
Read this post:

Correct me if I am wrong, and I want someone to, but I always thought the "API Starburst" (which I have never seen on any grade thicker than 30, by the way) was speaking as to an oil's "coefficient of friction"
Starbust means current ILSAC (1) is met, which includes EC and also relates back to CAFE.
So there will be no non-ILSAC grades included, e.g.: 10W40, 15W40, 20W50
(1) ILSAC, International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee, is formed in 1992 by AAMA (American Automobile Manufacturers Association, representatives of DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company and General Motors Corporation) and JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association) to define the need, parameters, licensing and administration of lubricant specifications. Together with the Tripartite system (API, SAE and ASTM) the formed EOLCS, the Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System. ILSAC oils often carry the API Service Symbol (Donut) including the Energy Conserving designation and/or API Certification Mark (Starburst)
- ex. from oilspecifications.org

OR

HPL in Hebron, IN

It can be confusing. One of them doesn't honor the bitog15% discount. Make sure you're buying from the right company.

It can be confusing. One of them doesn't honor the bitog15% discount. Make sure you're buying from the right company.
We make both oils. HPL is primarily racing focused where High Performance Lubricants or primarily Industrial focused. There is some overlap between the 2. It can be a little confusing. I apologize for that.

https://www.hplubricants.com/ is the website.

API like the most recent SP is followed by the ILSAC GF-6. GF-6 adds on top of the SP specs for additional qualified levels. Note that these oil standards are general levels for all PCMO. If you have a operator’s manual direction for specific oil standard that should be followed. Personally do not see any advantage to add anything more than what is required. It is not for me to determine why my engine would need another standard.

I'll be the one to say the unpopular opinion here.

You always get advice to use oil that has the certifications your engine requires. HPL doesn't have any certifications my engine requires. I don't see an API Starburst on any of their bottles. Saying it "meets or exceeds" means nothing without an actual certification. Same goes for Amsoil signature series. I'm sure they are both probably good oils but I'll personally stick with what carries real certifications.

A very strange thing I've found about the HPL oils is it seems mainly staff members and a couple of longtime members here are using the oil. I don't know the history of the HPL company, maybe staff members here created it. Or maybe they're being given the oil for free or almost free as publicity. Almost $90 shipped for 6 quarts of their "cheap" oil and well over $100 for their expensive oil pushes this into unobtanium territory for most people here considering the push for short OCIs with the influx of GDI and TGDI engines.

I know this is going to be met with some sort of hostility but I'm fine with it because it is my opinion and I feel my reason is viable. Everyone has their own reason to use or not to use a specific oil and that's perfectly fine.

Let me say that I have talked with Dave at HPL and he has answered every question that I have thrown at him and maybe the people using this oil here are on to something. This oil is the real deal, going by what I have seen from there website, I hope I am not going out on a limb here, LOL, but I do think that whoever brought HPL onto this board met or either talked with them.

Motor oils are made to a price point in order to make whatever profits, years ago I talked with someone about what it would cost to make the best oil, meaning the cost to the consumer, and this person said $15.00 a quart, now this was 10 years ago.

I will not knock this oil until I use it, and If anyone is knocking this oil that has not used it, then that is not cool.

So are you saying API certification is meaningless? Or is it only meaningless if we like the company producing the oil without the API certification?

As stated on this very board, HPL refuses to be inhibited by the limits of certifications.

Their passion for motor oil drives them to pursue something higher.

Sophisticated in house testing leads High Performance Lubricants to try different things and see what works the best.

With all due respect my fellow BITOGer, you are completely OTL on this.

FWIW I have personally used High Performances Lubricants motor oils for upwards of 150,000 miles, and have found them to be the very best.

Last edited:
As stated on this very board, HPL refuses to be inhibited by the limits of certifications.

Their passion for motor oil drives them to pursue something higher.

Sophisticated in house testing leads High Performance Lubricants to try different things and see what works the best.

With all due respect my fellow BITOGer, you are completely OTL here.

First, OTL means out of line correct?
Or is it out of the loop? Either way.

I'm out of line for saying I won't use oil with no certifications? The common theme on BITOG is use oil that meets the spec required by your manufacturer. What's the only proof of meeting that spec? Certifications or "just take our word for it?"

I can tell you I'm a surgeon but I'd be willing to bet you'd want more than my word and the word of my friends on whether I am.

And to clarify, I said I won't use the oil because it doesn't meet the qualifications I have, proper certifications. I am not telling anyone else to use or not use it. I don't care if you use vegetable oil. But it's crazy, but expected, that I'd get pushback for calling out the lack of certifications and somewhat hypocritical attitude regarding certifications.

Last edited:

I'm out of line for saying I won't use oil with no certifications? The common theme on BITOG is use oil that meets the spec required by your manufacturer. What's the only proof of meeting that spec? Certifications or "just take our word for it?"

I can tell you I'm a surgeon but I'd be willing to bet you'd want more than my word and the word of my friends on whether I am.

And to clarify, I said I won't use the oil because it doesn't meet the qualifications I have, proper certifications. I am not telling anyone else to use or not use it. I don't care if you use vegetable oil. But it's crazy, but expected, that I'd get pushback for calling out the lack of certifications and somewhat hypocritical attitude regarding certifications.
BITOG members used to jump all over Am Soil products for the same reason, no certifications. I think their fan base hurts Am Soil sales more than
anything else. It semed that we couldn't go two days without another Am Soil thread.

I read "OTL" as "out to lunch" meaning you aren't grasping what's going on or missing the point.

I view certifications as something for people who take things at face value and don't care to dig any deeper. Certifications set minimum standards and often inadvertently cause a ceiling for standards as well. High Performance Lubricants would have to "dumb down" their oils, intentionally hurt their performance, to meet some of this coveted certifications which is not something they're going to do. They formulate for the best performance in the engine, not for marketing labels.

Or is it out of the loop? Either way.

OTL = Out To Lunch.

I see you didn't respond to my post earlier in the thread, is there a reason for that?

OTL = Out To Lunch.

I see you didn't respond to my post earlier in the thread, is there a reason for that?

I just checked over your posts and can't see one that needs a reply. Is there something I need to reply to?

Edit:
You posted about Rudnick. I also read that you were a stickler for certifications and approvals but were put at ease after talking to HPL. The price isn't bad for you.

I'm happy for you. I don't know if you want a retort or not. If you like it use it.

Last edited:
I'll be the one to say the unpopular opinion here.

You always get advice to use oil that has the certifications your engine requires. HPL doesn't have any certifications my engine requires. I don't see an API Starburst on any of their bottles. Saying it "meets or exceeds" means nothing without an actual certification. Same goes for Amsoil signature series. I'm sure they are both probably good oils but I'll personally stick with what carries real certifications.

A very strange thing I've found about the HPL oils is it seems mainly staff members and a couple of longtime members here are using the oil. I don't know the history of the HPL company, maybe staff members here created it. Or maybe they're being given the oil for free or almost free as publicity. Almost $90 shipped for 6 quarts of their "cheap" oil and well over $100 for their expensive oil pushes this into unobtanium territory for most people here considering the push for short OCIs with the influx of GDI and TGDI engines.

I know this is going to be met with some sort of hostility but I'm fine with it because it is my opinion and I feel my reason is viable. Everyone has their own reason to use or not to use a specific oil and that's perfectly fine.
I understand your skeptiscism ...

Others above have explained the pros and cons of the API certs; I'll not add to what's already been said.

No one here at BITOG created HPL. A few staff folks use their products, but several of us do not. I don't use HPL products, but I have toured their facility and can attest first-hand that they are at TOP TIER lubricant blender. They use nothing but premium base stocks and additives, tailored to their own specs. HPL products are pricey, but they also are proponents of extendef OCIs, which helps bring the ROI within reach.

Perhaps you'd want to join us at the HPL open house in August??? Nothing quells doubt better than an in-house tour where you can see the products and processes first hand!

For the record, I only use their Engine Cleaner. At least for the moment.

Like anything else, there's good enough and then there is exceptional. If you trust the capabilities and science behind HPL, they are able to blend something that is exceeds industry specs.

It's like eating at a fine-dining restaurant. Many people go thru life without eating at one. Is the food better? Apparently, a lot of people think so, but that is subjective. Is it worth the money? Well, that's for you to decide.

Back