High pay, hard-labor job. How's your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Im a manager at a local collision center. Lots of young guys fixing cars there. Mostly in their mid to late 20's. Most of them work really hard and make well over 100k per year doing what they do.
Of course they are young and foolish and blow alot of it. If I made that kind of dough in my 20's, and knowing what I know now.....I'd be retired at 40.
Beware the methyl-ethyl- bad stuff. 30 yrs down the road cancers happen .

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
So so sounds about right. The guest themselves I have no problem with it's the other employee's! I could go into detail and most would agree but that'd would take a hour and beyond the scope of this thread.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2135551&page=1

Ahh I didn't catch the hospital part of the post.. must of been at work. Mine isn't quite that bad yet. I spend alot of time in the ER and I'm telling you someday a inspector will come strolling through and heads will roll with all the HIPPA violations. I have a bag of popcorn ready to watch the show!

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I've talked to a lot of blue-collar workers. Many of them are industrial workers(mostly union), and make well over $60,000+. They complain that their job is crud but the pay is awesome...How many of you are in this bracket?

That's me. I've been with the same industrial gasses company (think petro-chem) for the past 14yrs. Started as a plant production tech, moved up to a centralized control room type job for a bunch of years, now back to a Production Tech again and loving every minute of it. IMO, if you want to make decent money in this line of work, it's gotta be shift work. I work a 12hr rotating shift, 14 shifts a month (not including OT). I've been laid-off before (not by this company) and have had poverty pay jobs so I thank my lucky stars every day. What I do has allowed my wife to primarily stay home with our 3 (soon to be 4) children. I've got an Associate's and a Bachelor's degree and have had Engineering and Management jobs in the past. I so prefer what I do now it's ridiculous!

What I think the folks you've spoken to need is a little shot of reality to bring them back to Earth. I work with some grumbly S0Bs too and constantly work at changing the topic to something more positive with them.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popinski
I've talked to a lot of blue-collar workers. Many of them are industrial workers(mostly union), and make well over $60,000+. They complain that their job is crud but the pay is awesome. When they come home, they look beat and tired; because of this, many turn to alcohol, cigarettes and comfort foods to ease the pain. After years, they look miserable but only continue because the pay is awesome.

How many of you are in this bracket? I've met people who were opposite: low pay ($25,000-$40,000),and are having a really happy life, especially the single guys.

Since money is not really happiness, how come we rather have more money than a good life? Is this Man?

Non blue-collar here. I come home beat and tired at night after a long day of dealing with high level folks in the organization and their politics, staring at spreadsheets and sometimes delivering the bad news. The madness never stops...

I do not drink or smoke but I can see how easy it would be to fall in that trap without self-control.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
dang sure wouldn't want to go back but being single I'd be somewhere else right now!

You work for a hospital don't you? I do as well in logistics so we probably have some things in common. The pay and benefits for what I do is awesome, but the work environment is..........so so.

What would you want to do if you could give up the benefits that hospital jobs offer?

I work in healthcare, not a hospital, but still controlled by the same corporation (indirectly government funded through medicare). My work environment is pretty good, pay is not bad, benefits are okay. Maybe its a different environment in American hospitals, or that the place I work in would be completely privately funded and run, but I wouldn't leave the health care sector here.

-Spyder

I work in an office environment, and often think I would much rather be alone, in the cab of a truck, on I-80 somewhere in Nebraska!

Trouble is, I make really good money, and am not yet in a position to take a 70% pay cut (two kids in college).

Maybe in a few years. There are some new regs coming out that will make OTR drivers even more scarce than they are now.

I'm an independent consultant who does work around change, be it process change, organizational culture change, personal coaching, or community building.

On the down side, you never know where your next dollar will come from, or when. You do a lot of explorative initiatives and collaborations in the name of business development that don't pay off, at least in the short term.

On the good side, there is a lot of variety. For instance, I have been helping a retired professor who is a professional futurist promote a seminar on the need for community resiliency, and that is happening this weekend. I am also helping a pair of attorneys train other attorneys in mediation and conflict resolution. That is also this weekend. Things aren't boring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back