High Mileage vs Regular oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that high mileage oil has seal conditioners and other additives that regular oil does not have or has less of in their formulations. Why not just use high mileage in a non high mileage engine (30,000 miles)? Would it hurt anything?
It seems like it would be beneficial. Thoughts? Comments, Experiences?

All oils use seal conditioners. High mile oils are blended on the thicker end of the viscosity spread of the given viscosity choice. Also possibley have a higher amount of additives

I forgot to add, I e mailed Valvoline and they said their Maxlife was 100% fine to use on new engines.

So, as the OP asks, all things being equal, isn't the HM going to be something (more additives) for nothing? At least for those who live in warmish climates?

CT8 Not all High Mileage oils are blended on the thicker side... Mobil and i Believe Valvoline are Not blended on the thicker side in a matter of fact Mobil Super HM is blended slightly on the thinner side (you can look it up on their PDS listed on their web page)

Pennzoil and Castrol are two that is blended on the thicker side and im sure there are others.

I had great results from Pennzoil High Mileage for many years and i also am having great results from the Mobil. I would use either of them because they are both great oils. I prefer the Mobil in the winter because in my freezer test that oil looked like it flowed great but like i said in other posts i got close to 400,000 miles on an old 83 Oldsmobile wagon with the 5.0 307 v8 on Pennzoil yellow bottle and Pennzoil High Mileage in the Summer.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is blended thicker. Their Super and Super HM products are actually higher priced around here, so I wouldn't even consider them anyway.

Kendall High Milage is cheaper to order on Amazon than the regular syn blend. I am a Kendall fan.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
When reviewing additives in the HM oil some brands have more PPM of Zinc & Phosphorus witnessed by the M1 HM sampling at PQIA.

Notice the higher Zinc in this sampling which may account for the thicker formulation spoken of prevoiusly compared to standard PCMO of about 700-800 Zinc PPM roughly.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/mobil1530a.htm

That is the SL variety... It's now SN, so there would have been a decrease in at least the Xw20 ans Xw30's.

Originally Posted By: vronline
Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
When reviewing additives in the HM oil some brands have more PPM of Zinc & Phosphorus witnessed by the M1 HM sampling at PQIA.

Notice the higher Zinc in this sampling which may account for the thicker formulation spoken of prevoiusly compared to standard PCMO of about 700-800 Zinc PPM roughly.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/mobil1530a.htm

That is the SL variety... It's now SN, so there would have been a decrease in at least the Xw20 ans Xw30's.

Several SN's in this sample. Yes, now lower although Pennzoil is on the higher Zinc end for an SN.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated highmileage2014.html

The name is not necessarily the game.
Maxlife is a very well formulated oil that works well in virtually any engine.
You could use an HM syn blend just because it's a quality oil, not because you're seeing leaks and consumption.
All oils have seal conditioners and whether HM oils have more of them is open to debate.
I do know that Maxlife will reduce leaks and consumption, but that's a side benefit and not the sole reason to use it.

I now use Maxlife full synthetic in all my vehicles and all the engines seem to be running very quiet and extremely smooth... Oh yea, NO leaks. LOL. Not even the Jaguar XJS V12. LOL.

Yes Mobil 1 high mileage is blended a little thicker but the Mobil super high mileage is blended on the low side and its a semi synthetic.. This is the 5w30 im posting about..
Around here it is priced ok.

Yes and they have it at Walmart. Kind of looks like Synpower. The label says full synthetic with Maxlife technology.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Yes Mobil 1 high mileage is blended a little thicker but the Mobil super high mileage is blended on the low side and its a semi synthetic.. This is the 5w30 im posting about..
Around here it is priced ok.

There's some debate about that designation. I do know the back of the jugs and qt btls it says Syn blend but on their site...

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-high-mileage

I know when we had the oil rep come to the shop he said that Mobil Super High Mileage was a syn blend and i just checked a jug and it does say Syn Blend but as you say i did not see that on their website at one point but have not looked in a while.

In reality what is syn blend or full syn anyway since the Mobil Castrol Lawsuit ??? Just a marketing term..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Does Valvoline sell a full synthetic max life?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yes and they have it at Walmart. Kind of looks like Synpower. The label says full synthetic with Maxlife technology.

XtOpyml.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back