High mileage recommendations?

If it isn't using / burning oil and the engine is running fine, I would not change weights. HM oil probably isn't necessary either if so, but it won't hurt either. Any reputable oil brand meeting spec will be fine as well. That said, my preference for older cars I've owned has been Valvoline HM Maxlife syn blend with 5k OCI's.

Last edited:
If it isn't using / burning oil and the engine is running fine, I would not change weights. HM oil probably isn't necessary either if so, but it won't hurt either.

That's really the bottom line. An engine theoretically will benefit from the way HM oils are made ( to a degree) but that benefit wouldn't be realized unless the condition required the HM oil's differences. Mileage is an unreliable way to estimate an engines mechanical condition.

My friend had a 4 cyl 1998 Altima,probably quite a bit different from yours, but she had almost 400,000 miles on it when she sold it, all on pyb every 3K since new. Still ran like a dream!

I loved my 98 Altima. I regret selling the car, but at least I enjoyed what I replaced it with. Such a solid car that hardly ever gave me a problem.

I loved my 98 Altima. I regret selling the car, but at least I enjoyed what I replaced it with. Such a solid car that hardly ever gave me a problem.
I know hers never went to the shop for one single thing. Never a single repair. She would drive it back and fourth from Texas to Alaska. Her dad lived there,so she'd live part time there and part time here in Texas.

Pennzoil changed at reasonable frequency seems to work well. My friend has a 200,000+ mi 2010 Dodge Ram 4.7 OHC (which I bought new) and it's still on the original timing chains after 6,000 mi OCI it's entire life. These engines are known for timing issues.

If you live in a climate where you never see subzero temps 10W-30 should be fine. If you put on enough mileage to do two changes a year you can run 10W-30 Summer and 5W-30 Winter if temps warrant.

As to viscosity it's my experience that while 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils go in the same viscosity they don't come out the same viscosity.

I know hers never went to the shop for one single thing. Never a single repair. She would drive it back and fourth from Texas to Alaska. Her dad lived there,so she'd live part time there and part time here in Texas.

The only problems I had when I bought it as an ex-rental car and a questionable service history was a leaking valve cover gasket (cheap fix) and the alternator needed to be rebuilt after I accidentally left the lights on multiple times, draining the battery. The latter being mostly my fault, but the sensor for leaving the lights on did not chime correctly because of the ignition cylinder not figuring out if the keys were out of the ignition. Considering the small amount of $$ I paid for it and the higher mileage, I was very pleased with it. It put up with my teenager years, driving it like I stole it. I bought it in 2004 with around 118k on it for under $4k so I got a pretty screaming deal on it. The owner I bought it from had no idea when the oil was even changed last!

The only problems I had when I bought it as an ex-rental car and a questionable service history was a leaking valve cover gasket (cheap fix) and the alternator needed to be rebuilt after I accidentally left the lights on multiple times, draining the battery. The latter being mostly my fault, but the sensor for leaving the lights on did not chime correctly because of the ignition cylinder not figuring out if the keys were out of the ignition. Considering the small amount of $$ I paid for it and the higher mileage, I was very pleased with it. It put up with my teenager years, driving it like I stole it. I bought it in 2004 with around 118k on it for under $4k so I got a pretty screaming deal on it. The owner I bought it from had no idea when the oil was even changed last!
I swear,those cars were indestructible!!

Back