High mileage recommendations?

I have an 05 Nissan Altima 2.5l with very high mileage. Should I use a heavier weight 10w30 standard Pennzoil? It’s over 210,000.

Thank you!

My friend had a 4 cyl 1998 Altima,probably quite a bit different from yours, but she had almost 400,000 miles on it when she sold it, all on pyb every 3K since new. Still ran like a dream!

I just bought this one and went with it due to the engine sounding great considering the mileage. I’m changing the plugs and coils next week when I change the oil. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I do get a hard shift sometimes when I first put it in drive. I’m not sure why that’s happening. I am getting a p0420 code. I’m changing the upstream O2 sensor as well during the oil change. I’m hoping that takes care of the code. Had the exhaust checked and there are no leaks.

Welcome to BITOG

Use whatever is on sale. Napa has M1 on sale for $5.49/qt. They also have their house brand for even less. Their synthetic oil is $3.59 for HM, $3.39 for non-HM. They have non-synthetic HM for $2.89/qt

That is more like high mileage :LOL:

My car is at 316,000+ miles right now. The two door Nissan Altima VQ coupe.

Still running very good.

There is a decent chance your catalytic converter is very likely bad by the way.. mine went bad at 239,000 miles.
IMG_20200307_174906349_HDR.jpg

I had(purchased new) a 2004 Altima 2.5S and used 5W30 its whole life til I sold it in 2015. My owner's manual spec'd 5W30, 10W30 & 10W40 regular to synthetic. Use what makes you sleep at night & for your climate/weather conditions during that particular oil change interval(OCI).

Don’t know why, but I’m a sucker to any high mileage thread.

As for the oil, I really think it depends on IF the car is using oil or not. If it’s not? I’d probably be a little more selective about what I put in it (and PYB would be fine), but if it IS using oil? I’d throw whatever on sale/clearance oil in it I could find.

Don’t know why, but I’m a sucker to any high mileage thread.

As for the oil, I really think it depends on IF the car is using oil or not. If it’s not? I’d probably be a little more selective about what I put in it (and PYB would be fine), but if it IS using oil? I’d throw whatever on sale/clearance oil in it I could find.

Valid point right there. If 5-30 fits your climate I'd start there with ST synthetic and do 5k changes until something changes, like burns oil. Ride it another 100k +!!

Sounds like the trans could use some service since it’s slamming into drive. Periodic drain and fills with the appropriate fluid. Try to space the service out a little bit, min of a week or a 100 miles to get a slow, gradual clean. Try to do 4 of them ideally.

Yup, I agree that if the engine is leaking/burning oil, use anything in your allowed grades of oils and consider a HM oil which may help to slow down(but not necessarily stop) the leaking/burning.

what is the oil spec for your engine. I suspect it is 5w30. If so why not use the recommended grade unless the engine running is causing oil issue.

Back