High Mileage Oil to Stop a Leak

What if that fails to get the point across? Often simple terms have to be used as most do not understand the proper names, formulas, reactions, etc. Their eyes glaze over too quickly.
And what if it does get your point across? Perhaps you're underestimating your audience. You can always respond to questions from those who need clarification ...

I took a look at the label on my M1 High Mileage oil today and noticed that it said that it's useful for preventing leaks. There was no mention of the oil stopping leaks. My experience is that it didn't stop a leak in my previous car. Based on the M1 label, I'd not hold out any great hope for the oil to stop a leak, although I'm sure there are some instances where that's happened. Just wanted to share that bit of info from the M1 label.
Id say that its asking a lot of it to stop leaks. It certainly will prevent leaks and may stop very, very minor oil seepage but its not magic.

Id say that its asking a lot of it to stop leaks. It certainly will prevent leaks and may stop very, very minor oil seepage but its not magic.
It's possible that some people see seepage and call it a leak, then claim that the oil stopped a leak. Just a thought ...

As nouns the difference between seepage and leak ...

... is that seepage is the process by which a liquid leaks through a porous substance; the process of seeping while leak is a crack, crevice, fissure, or hole which admits water or other fluid, or lets it escape.

What if that fails to get the point across? Often simple terms have to be used as most do not understand the proper names, formulas, reactions, etc. Their eyes glaze over too quickly.
Eyes do glaze over, but it's a good thing to at least give accurate information before the glazing starts. My point in that exchange is that "drying out" and"dehydrating" is referring to water, and besides the fact that it obviously isn't water it's also not correct that something leaves the polymer to cause it to degrade. Nothing is leaving, evaporating nor drying out. It is what heat and age is doing to the polymer structure that's the problem.

Which also gets to the bigger problem as to what an external agent can do to undo or correct the degradation. The answer is "not much". At the end of the day no one is going to add anything to the oil that will un-crosslink the polymer and restore it to the original condition.

Once the seals harden up, wear out and leak, no oil is going to fix it for the long term.

On this site, more than any other, I would think the proper technical explanation would be preferred.

If you’re going to use “layman’s terms” and analogies - I would preface them, otherwise, they appear to be ignorance.

It may or may not slow or stop a leak. It might be worth a try though. There is enough anecdotal evidence posted here over the years claiming it has actually stopped leaks. YMMV

Fair enough; it appears I am wrong on this one.
I wasn’t saying that, I’m just saying on an oil site, you’re likely to find a group that wants technical accuracy about oil.

When I’m talking airplanes with fellow pilots, we don’t use layman’s terms or analogies, we talk in technical terms, with shared understanding.

I wasn’t saying that, I’m just saying on an oil site, you’re likely to find a group that wants technical accuracy about oil.

When I’m talking airplanes with fellow pilots, we don’t use layman’s terms or analogies, we talk in technical terms, with shared understanding.
When I m am flying my 747 and getting ready to land I say pull the lever that makes the wings work like they are bigger. Lower the wheels

Back