HIGH MILAGE OIL...WHICH ONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have heard good results with the HM oils...I have a Toyota 3.0 V6...Which one has the best package between MOBIL, VALVOLINE or CASTROL....THanks

quote:

Originally posted by raskm:
Why pennzoil HM ?

Because it has the best additive package and best base oil of all the name brand HM oils.

I'm currently using SuperTech HM synthetic blend in my Olds van (146,000 miles). Made by Warren Dist, this oil has a good add pack, good specs, and some Group III base oil in it. And it's less expensive than the name brand HM oils which are all Group II or Group I/II.

lol.gif
Its those little Ball Bearings!
tongue.gif

Maybe I should have said which HM oils have the best package....Best quality package....Thanks for the reply...trying minimize alittle oil burning and quite down lifter noise. I have heard good things about Castrol....I have always used Valvoline, but reading some posts I guess its not as good oil as it used to be.

I agree with using Castrol HM. Catrol's dino products continue to impress me (I won't touch the GroupIII/IV debate with a 10-foot pole).

Recent UOA of Catrol's GTX at 7300 miles, a Honda 4cyl using Castrol HM at 9,200 miles (a bit too far in my estimation) show that their dino oils last way beyond 3K.

Has anyone tried the Havoline/Chevron HM products?

For lifter noise & some oil comsumption, the HM oils at the higher end of the viscosity grade are probably a good choice.

Here are the viscosities for the brands previously mentioned, with the exception of Castrol. Can't find data sheets for Castrol.
code:

* Valv. Mobil

Maxlif Drvcln Pennz Havoline

5W-30 HM HM HM HM

Viscosity

40C: N/A 61.4 71.3 74.8

100C: 10.6 10.4 12.0 12.0

The Pennzoil & Chevron/Havoline HM oils are definitely thicker oils and are closer to the 12.5 rating of an SAE 30 straight weight than the standard 5W-30 ratings of the 10.2/10.8 range.

What about QS 10w30 HM...?(The RED bottle) Is it the same as PZ HM? I ask because a local store is clearing it out for $ 1.00 a bottle, and I couldn't resist...!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
What about QS 10w30 HM...?(The RED bottle) Is it the same as PZ HM?

NO. Completely different specs. Completely different oil.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by raskm:
Why pennzoil HM ?

Because it has the best additive package and best base oil of all the name brand HM oils.

If your suggesting it's comprised entirely of group II or II+ base oil I recommend taking a look at the MSDS .

I like the Mobil HM blend, it has some PAO and nice additive pack and the Citgo Ultra Life " 200ppm boron " and look forward to seeing the Havoline HM Syn Blend when it becomes available even though it might have group III instead of PAO , were talking lower cost oils here and all around 2 bucks a quart .

The Castrol looks weak on paper but does very well as does the Pennzoil HM

Had a 96 Mazda B4000 (Ford engine) with about 150,000 on it. It had the valve tap on startup (no matter what filter). Put the Castrol HM 10w-30 in it and it never did it again. Put 20,000+ more miles on it b4 trading it in (man I miss that truck). Just from my own experience the Castrol works well.

I have had the best luck with Valvoline MaxLife for stopping leaks. For enigne noise and oil consumption, most definately the Castrol HM. The Castrol HM even seemed to flow well in the cold!

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
If your suggesting it's comprised entirely of group II or II+ base oil I recommend taking a look at the MSDS .

Thanks for reminding me about the Group I in Pennzoil HM. I'd forgotten that was the reason I went with the SuperTech syn blend HM when I was looking for a HM oil to try in my van.

I keep forgetting about the Maxlife . It has PAO , always a good price on it in the 5 quart jugs and some reasonably good UOA's .

One things for sure . These makers are not copy cats . They all seem to go about making these oils a bit different .

I want to see the Exxon HM oil now .

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

Thanks for reminding me about the Group I in Pennzoil HM. I'd forgotten that was the reason I went with the SuperTech syn blend HM when I was looking for a HM oil to try in my van.

That Supertech HM Blend looks like a good value oil to me .

By chance are you going to do a UOA on it ?

Hey Motorbike- Is the maxlife the only one to have PAO? It is what, ~22% PAO? They told me they use a true synthetic to get the seal conditioners to the leaks....maybe that is what does it?.. I saw great UOA wear in a Sebring 2.5 (same engine) from the winter months with the 5/30 maxlife, but it had some bearing wear, which was attributed to it being too thin, hence I opted for the 10/30 for the summer. I know the regular dino valvoline is not well regarded, but the maxlife formulas seem to be a total different oil. What do you think? I am actually using the regular maxlife 10/30 in the Stratus 2.5 V6 right now. It isn't leaking or even over the 75000 mile mark, but it should clean up the engine and such, right? Besides, like you said, with the good price on it, it's a good deal!! (the regular maxlife probably has more PAO than the synthetic group III maxlife, lol) But the Castrol HM oils really have helped consumption issues! We haven't seen the repairing of leaks fixed at all with the Castrol HM, but everything else is great. And the Valvoline MaxLife seems to fix leaks the best but maybe run on the thinner side for a HM oil.

quote:

Originally posted by DSteven:
Hey Motorbike- Is the maxlife the only one to have PAO? It is what, ~22% PAO? They told me they use a true synthetic to get the seal conditioners to the leaks....maybe that is what does it?.. I

The PAO is for enhanced cold weather performance for the most part .Think of it as an additive here but the PAO does not help seals in a HM oil .
I'm not certain all these HM oils for sure even use a small amount of Ester basestock for seal conditioning at this point .I think there are around 4-7 additives and mixes of them used for the seals to include special VII's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back