Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by raskm:
Why pennzoil HM ?

Because it has the best additive package and best base oil of all the name brand HM oils.

If your suggesting it's comprised entirely of group II or II+ base oil I recommend taking a look at the MSDS .

I like the Mobil HM blend, it has some PAO and nice additive pack and the Citgo Ultra Life " 200ppm boron " and look forward to seeing the Havoline HM Syn Blend when it becomes available even though it might have group III instead of PAO , were talking lower cost oils here and all around 2 bucks a quart .

The Castrol looks weak on paper but does very well as does the Pennzoil HM

Pennzoil HM is Group I? I didn't know that. News to me... What about Mobil's Drive Clean HM blend? Is it Group I with a small amount of PAO?

quote:

Originally posted by MHC:
Castrol.

I disagree... I just used the Castrol GTX Highmilage oil in a 1998 H22A4 Honda engine with not very impressive TBN numbers after 3100 miles.

This included 1 3/4 qts of makeup oil.

I've never seen a UOA from my car with a TBN that low after only 3100 miles.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001511

I'm trying the Valvoline Highmilage Synthetic now and well see how it holds up.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
I've had great luck with the Castrol HM in two cars.

Castrol High Mileage 10W30 UOA

When was your last Castrol GTX Highmilage UOA?

I'm wondering if they changed something recently.

I've been using mostly synthetic oils and they've all been showing 7 to 11 after 7000 miles.

I'm concerned about the GTX Highmilage as with 1 3/4 qts makeup oil... that TBN should have been much higher...

Also, notice how close the TBN on your oil report with 9000+ miles on it was to my 3100 mile TBN reading (.5!).

[ May 17, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: gerhardb ]

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
What about QS 10w30 HM...?(The RED bottle) Is it the same as PZ HM? I ask because a local store is clearing it out for $ 1.00 a bottle, and I couldn't resist...!
wink.gif

I have a '90 Sunbird with a 2.0 L 4 cylinder. I had always used QS 5w30 year round. I recently switched to QS 5w30 HM, and I added Valvoline Maxlife Engine Protector. The engine is much quieter at idle. My engine used to be a noisy beast at freeway speeds. Now, it is dead silent and smoother as well.

The Maxlife 10w-30 synthetic meets BMW LL-01 requirements. Does this make it a group IV oil? I thought meeting this one requirement put this oil over the Castrol HM.

I think the MaxLife synthetic was said to be Group III. Go figure, a Valvoline oil, LOL. I am not for certain...it would be great if it was PAO, but again, I think it's a Group III (a very overpriced one, if you know what I mean).

I am surprised to hear that Pennzoil High Mileage oil has Group I in it. Is it mostly Group I or a blend of I & II+?
confused.gif

The one thing I didn't care for in this oil is that it had poor cold weather performance. The Group I at least partially explains that.

If they were using 100% Group II+ oil with a little ester added, it should have and excellent cold pour point.

racerjk: " ... I added Valvoline Maxlife Engine Protector. The engine is much quieter at idle. My engine used to be a noisy beast at freeway speeds. Now, it is dead silent and smoother as well."

It's the moly in that additive. This stuff will often quiet down a motor with all sorts of piston slap and/or valvetrain noises.

As for Max-Life (regular, not synthetic) they originally billed this as a blend of Group III and Group V ... with a lot of moly to boot! Quite a deal for $2.00-$2.50 per quart.

Truth is, it was a Group II oil ... with some Group V ester ... and after about the first 18 months, they pulled the moly and the quieting effect it had was gone.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back