High Flow vs. Filtration Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read the filter autopsies / studies posted on this site and noticed that while some filters have a good flow rate ( eg. Wix, etc) others are notable for high filtration capability (eg. Pure One).

For non-severe service with a passenger sedan , which is the more important quality, "flow or filtration" ( assuming equivalent cost and quality ) ? I suppose that if a filter could be found which had a "flow curve" that intersected with the "filtration curve" then it would be the "perfect filter". But does high filtration logically mean lower flow?

Also, is it true that Fram filters are responsible for:

1) Global Warming

2) Pre-mature Baldness

3) Erectile dysfuntion

4) The Federal Deficit

5) The Cubs getting screwed in the playoffs

6) That bloated and crampy feeling

Sit. Think. talk amonst yourselves . . . . .

quote:

Originally posted by serious II:
I have read the filter autopsies / studies posted on this site and noticed that while some filters have a good flow rate ( eg. Wix, etc) others are notable for high filtration capability (eg. Pure One).

For non-severe service with a passenger sedan , which is the more important quality, "flow or filtration" ( assuming equivalent cost and quality ) ? I suppose that if a filter could be found which had a "flow curve" that intersected with the "filtration curve" then it would be the "perfect filter". But does high filtration logically mean lower flow?

Also, is it true that Fram filters are responsible for:

1) Global Warming

2) Pre-mature Baldness

3) Erectile dysfuntion

4) The Federal Deficit

5) The Cubs getting screwed in the playoffs

6) That bloated and crampy feeling

Sit. Think. talk amonst yourselves . . . . .

LOL, yea, apparently all of the above. Not to mention landslides in California, tsunamis in the far east, and of course the heroin coming out of Afganistan.

One might think so from the comments in this topic
wink.gif

I suspect the real world situation is that hardly anyone could determine which brand filter they had without looking.

quote:

Originally posted by serious II:
...But does high filtration logically mean lower flow?

This has been discussed at length in earlier threads. Here's my opinion:

Oil pumps are positive displacement, meaning that flow does not decrease (significantly) with pressure.

Oil filters have a bypass valve so that when pressure exceeds its bypass pressure, the valve opens up letting unfiltered oil flow. Even GM vehicles that don't require filter bypass valves have an internal bypass valve to prevent oil starvation.

Therefore high filtration doesn't affect flow. It affects the amount and size of particulates trapped.

If you want the best of both worlds, consider mounting an oversized filter with good filter media.

And Fram filters are responsible for Coitus Interruptus.

All of the above.

Seriously, the anti Fram attitude here exceeds rationality. I hate and despise people that lie to me. I used to be able to go into wal-Mart and choose from several brands of filters, Fram, AC, Motorcraft, and STP, plus ST. Several well know names I thought I could trust, plus a cheap house brand. Fram dates back to when I was a kid and you could count on well known brands being worth the extra cost. I felt betrayed and deceived when I cut one open found it a piece of trash compared to Wally's cheapy. I don't have any problem that my aversion to Fram exceeds rationality. They lied to me.

I think your curves would be better plotted over $/vs filtration. I don't think the restrictive aspect of the filter is an issue of any consequence.

Pure One or NAPA Gold would be very good in filtration ..for a reasonable price. ST's (including those with the clicker bypass) are a low ball bargain from a cost stand point. M1's are great ..but at high cost.
You may be interested in this and maybe this

"Therefore high filtration doesn't affect flow. It affects the amount and size of particulates trapped."

"Flow" isn't effect because flow is dictated by the oil pump.

What is effected is how often the by-pass opens and how soon it closes based on pressure differential.

The * better the filtration, the higher the initial restriction. The more restriction in the media, the sooner the by-pass will open.

*..better being the relative term comparing cellulose or cellulose blends of media which are the most common found in oil filters.

Straight synthetic media can provide lower initial restriction with higher efficiency particle removal. Can being the relative term based on how many layers of media there are to create the synthetic itself.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
All of the above.

Seriously, the anti Fram attitude here exceeds rationality. I hate and despise people that lie to me. I used to be able to go into wal-Mart and choose from several brands of filters, Fram, AC, Motorcraft, and STP, plus ST. Several well know names I thought I could trust, plus a cheap house brand. Fram dates back to when I was a kid and you could count on well known brands being worth the extra cost. I felt betrayed and deceived when I cut one open found it a piece of trash compared to Wally's cheapy. I don't have any problem that my aversion to Fram exceeds rationality. They lied to me.

IMO, Very well said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back