K&N Filter for high oil flow application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking around and everyone mentions that they are not great for filtration, but I am wondering if they flow well. Usually if a filter doesn't filter well, it flows well. I really don't like my oil pressure at idle on my 4g63t (Turbo 4 cylinder found in Mitsubishi Evo, Eclipse, Talon, Laser, Galant VR4, etc....but the gauge could be off.

In the past, it has been suggested that I use a Wix Race filter for flow at the expense of filtration. I was wondering if the K&N might also be a great flowing filter. Any technical info/stats/opinions?

Not looking for incredible OCIs on this vehicle. Probably 5k with quality synthetic oil.

I notice that they are coming for free from Advance Auto Parts with Castrol Edge which I need for another vehicle. With as many vehicles as I have, I want to make the most of it.

Thanks for the info.

I am fairly comfortable with this filter if JNZ Tuning sells it. Pretty decent guy:

http://www.jnztuning.com/product_info.ph...821889481188b19

Last edited:
Lots of information....especially in the sub-links. It seems that the K&N is generally the better flowing filter as opposed to better enduring/filtering filter. It is hard to say though. So many opinions on it!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
I have been looking around and everyone mentions that they are not great for filtration, but I am wondering if they flow well. Usually if a filter doesn't filter well, it flows well. I really don't like my oil pressure at idle on my 4g63t (Turbo 4 cylinder found in Mitsubishi Evo, Eclipse, Talon, Laser, Galant VR4, etc....but the gauge could be off.

Many full synthetic filters have high efficiency and very good flow - meaning less delta-p across the filter being fed by a positive displacement oil pump.

I highly doubt you will see any oil pressure change at idle using different oil filters ... I never did. You might see a few PSI difference at near redline, IF the oil pump is hitting pressure relief. I never even saw any oil pressure difference at near redline when using different oil filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dx92beater

Many full synthetic filters have high efficiency and very good flow - meaning less delta-p across the filter being fed by a positive displacement oil pump.

I highly doubt you will see any oil pressure change at idle using different oil filters ... I never did. You might see a few PSI difference at near redline, IF the oil pump is hitting pressure relief. I never even saw any oil pressure difference at near redline when using different oil filters.

Great info. I doubt there is an oil pressure issue at idle. The vehicle has run for quite a few years with the alleged low pressure at idle. I get better numbers with 15w-50 but nothing blew up with 10w-30.

No way are you going to overwhelm a synthetic media filter with your engine.

I have built engines that pumped so much oil that they would suck a 6-quart pan dry under acceleration. Used everything from regular paper filters, to synthetic media filters with tight efficiency.

You can put a firehose spigot on a garden hose, but you're still going to get garden hose flow.

K&N's may flow better, but your engine will never hit the regular flow limits of a regular old filter.

There are those that run a standard Mobil 1 oil filter on racing engines. They claims that the flow through the filter is not a problem even with a high volume oil pump. There information is from dyno development runs where everything is closely controlled and monitored. When I noticed that they also run them on their DD's I chose to start using them on my then new 03 4Runner. You can see the results in the resent UOA posted here.

Putting resin in cellulose wouldn't increase flow. Synthetic fibers increase flow. At idle the oil flow is at it's lowest, not likely any name brand filter of any price grade will restrict the flow. Low pressure at idle usually is the bearing clearance or the gauge IMO.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Putting resin in cellulose wouldn't increase flow. Synthetic fibers increase flow. At idle the oil flow is at it's lowest, not likely any name brand filter of any price grade will restrict the flow. Low pressure at idle usually is the bearing clearance or the gauge IMO.

So the Fram Ultra flows better than the Fram Extra Guard?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

So the Fram Ultra flows better than the Fram Extra Guard?

I would say it would because it's a full synthetic media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back