High flow fuel filter for lawn mower?

I'm looking for a high flow fuel filter for my Toro Timemaster push mower. It only has 5 hours on it and it seems to have a sporadic miss in it. I always use 90+ octane ethanol free gas. A few other owners have had the same issue. Some have removed the inline fuel filter and run it straight and that fixed the issue. That makes me think there’s an issue with the engine not getting enough fuel. I was going to try replacing the filter with one that’s more of a high flow. Any recommendations? It’s a 1/4 inch fuel line.

Advance auto parts seems to have a larger selection of small engine accessories these days. I picked up a wix, or Briggs and Stratton brand fuel filter (whatever was available) and never have any carburetor issues.

My friend just gave me her John Deere mower to get running for her. It's a 1999 model self propelled. I pulled the gas line off to see what comes out. The first bit of gas looked like chocolate milk, with a few crumbs in it. The gas line had several cracks in it so I replaced it, about 8 inches of 1/4 inch line. Cleaned out the carb, and the plug, added fresh gas and some pour in the tank carb cleaner. It took 3-4 pulls of the rope to start and ran like a champ. No filter at all on the fuel line. From what I saw and apparently from John Deere's standpoint, no fuel filter is needed on a push mower. After 22 years of use and possible abuse, I tend to agree with them.,,

I'm looking for a high flow fuel filter for my Toro Timemaster push mower. It only has 5 hours on it and it seems to have a sporadic miss in it. I always use 90+ octane ethanol free gas. A few other owners have had the same issue. Some have removed the inline fuel filter and run it straight and that fixed the issue. That makes me think there’s an issue with the engine not getting enough fuel. I was going to try replacing the filter with one that’s more of a high flow. Any recommendations? It’s a 1/4 inch fuel line.

I use one of these on my Deere JS36 with a B&S (filter). Never had carb problems since I put it on. I change it every 3 or 4 years or when I think it needs done... I use a much bigger one on my Deere LT150 (filter).

Just my $0.02

There are like three types of fuel filters for small engines. There’s the small pancake type. There’s the regular oblong cylinder type for engines without fuel pumps (gravity feed). And, there’s the oblong cylinder type for engines with fuel pumps. If your mower doesn’t have a fuel pump don’t use that style.
If your mower didn’t come with a fuel filter, adding one could cause problems.
Lowe’s and Tractor Supply have a good selection of fuel filters. Read the package instructions.

There’s thousands of timemasters out there purring along with no special high flow filter. Perhaps the one you had was just defective.

I use this on my gravity feed to the fuel pump on my JD F510. They last about 5 years. Fram G1

FG1_Top.jpg

I purchased a brand new fuel filter for my yard machines that worked great for 6-7 years. Never had a problem until three weeks ago. It would fire up then run, but not at full power. I put a new fuel filter and fuel line on it, which seemed to make it worse. It had white build up, and according to a guy that looked at it, "sour" gas. It was new gas. I didn't put a fuel filter back on and so far so good.

As said above, it may appear that you don't have a filter...

The moment you have to do a tank-off repair?

...Oh. *There* it is.

If its not incorporated into the tank outlet, elbow or just before and inside the line right up to the carb... it will be somewhere in the middle of a fuel line leading to the carb bowl.

To reinforce what others said, if you have a gravity feed Carburetor on a sub 6hp mower; it's likely one of those little red disks.

The larger ones are for your bigger B&S,Kohler, Kawasaki... etc. But any filter for gravity feed will work if it fits.

I cheat my Deere parts folks by fitting Kohler fuel and oil filters on my B&S powered Intek pro engine. But the air box is unique so I have to buy the 20+ HP filter and sock that only B&S apparently makes. But if lucky, I can find them on sale not near the usually $25+/pc. price tag .

Back