Here's something that could happen, and ruin your day, lol!

That darn two button push remote. Did that on my 1500 several times and once on my 3500. Now what I learned was that my diesel will start, cold soaked in coldor than -30c with one cycle of the grid heater.

What I also learned is that I could do a one man transmission fluid exchange on my 1500.

Last edited:
I have not tried the remote start with the hood open but will now that you all mentioned it. This is a 2007 Grand 5.7 Hemi, the remote start was a factory option.

Last night I got home and decided to pop the hood to check this remote start thing out and to check the oil since it had been a while. Hit the remote start button twice, and instead of the usual two horn beeps got one and a message in the cluster - "REMOTE START CANCELLED. HOLD OPEN." Checked the oil and it was right at the full mark. Got in the car this morning and the same message about remote start being cancelled appeared! Thought about it for a second and it made sense, I hadn't started the car since the failed attempt with the open hood so it was still giving me the alert thinking this was my first time in the car since I tried the failed remote start.

My Jeep has the two push button remote start with the horn honk. What a hokey setup. I like the fobs that operate on a one push of the button with no horn honk. Better yet, the aftermarket fobs are much better. I have an aftermarket auto start on my Honda and can start it from a very, very long distance away.

One day I'm doing work under my '07 Grand Cherokee, it has remote start. I have the keys in my pocket, and roll a certain way that the remote start button gets pushed not once but twice, it takes 2 pushes to engage the remote start. I heard the beep, jumped up and cancelled it! If not the engine would have started. Now I had not drained the oil but, can you imagine if I had? So if you have remote start on your vehicle as many do, take the remote OUT of your pocket when working on the vehicle. Imagine if this happened after you drained the oil and were changing the oil filter! It doesn't seem likely but it CAN happen!
most remote starts have a switch tied to the hood being open. Always open your hood when working on your car would solve the issue.

I got in the habit of keys on windshield many years ago since at that time gm liked to lock doors automatically it seem. Still do it today. No accidents since.

For a long time now factory remote start won’t operate with the hood open. How old is this vehicle?

edit: I see the model year in your post. Was the hood open? If it was then shame on Chrysler for not having that safety check in place.
Might be an aftermarket remote start.

Help me understand? Did you forget to disconnect your battery? Or is that not normal procedure for you? I personally disconnect battery each and every time I do any service on my vehicle. It's an unsafe practice to work on a vehicle with battery connected.

Help me understand? Did you forget to disconnect your battery? Or is that not normal procedure for you? I personally disconnect battery each and every time I do any service on my vehicle. It's an unsafe practice to work on a vehicle with battery connected.

Who disconnects the battery for an oil change?

Who disconnects the battery for an oil change?

I thought everyone did? Simply remove the negative terminal, do your service, and reconnect. Some of the newer vehicles have to be driven a bit to reset the computer but no big deal.

Another question begs to be asked. Who is only doing just an oil change when servicing their vehicle? At each oil change I do a full inspection of everything under the hood, run a scan before and after, check brakes, all fluids, steering, motor/trans mounts, chassis, lights, etc, etc. My list is almost a full 200 point inspection at each and every oil change.

I do this at every 3,000 - 5,000 mile oil change on cars, after every ride on my dirt bike, and every 1,000 - 2,000 miles service on my Super Tenere.

Before pulling out of driveway I do a walk around checking all lights, signals, lug nuts/axles, tires, etc. The only thing I'm admittedly lazy on is checking fluids. I do that only at each fuel stop.

I thought everyone did? Simply remove the negative terminal, do your service, and reconnect. Some of the newer vehicles have to be driven a bit to reset the computer but no big deal.

Another question begs to be asked. Who is only doing just an oil change when servicing their vehicle? At each oil change I do a full inspection of everything under the hood, run a scan before and after, check brakes, all fluids, steering, motor/trans mounts, chassis, lights, etc, etc. My list is almost a full 200 point inspection at each and every oil change.

I do this at every 3,000 - 5,000 mile oil change on cars, after every ride on my dirt bike, and every 1,000 - 2,000 miles service on my Super Tenere.

Before pulling out of driveway I do a walk around checking all lights, signals, lug nuts/axles, tires, etc. The only thing I'm admittedly lazy on is checking fluids. I do that only at each fuel stop.
You must be playing us.

I'm a remote-key hater as well. My mother drives a car with remote key, but it is sometimes in her husband's pocket when she drops him off for work where he takes a ferry across the puget sound. Many times, she then goes to the grocery store, turns off the car, and then realizes she has no key to start it again. LOL

Instead of learning to keep a key with the driver, she just leaves it running in the grocery store (if she realizes she doesn't have the key) parking lot until done shopping so it doesn't need to be restarted. :LOL:

I got in the habit of keys on windshield many years ago since at that time gm liked to lock doors automatically it seem. Still do it today. No accidents since.
That is what I do and when I forget and close the door the 3 quick horn beeps (alert that keys are still inside) make my heart stop lol - i go get the keys quick!

Back