hendrick oil and stewart haas oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tony Stewart team never blows engines. They use Hendricks engines. It seems that Hendricks blows more engines though. Could this be the difference in running Mobil engine oil vs Quaker state engine oil?

Possibly, or it could be Tony and Ryan conserving their equipment more than the Hendrick teams. There is a huge difference in treating equipment when you buy it versus having it supplied.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Do you really think the engines are the same? I bet they are different.

On second thought that might be a valid option as well. They might be very similar, but the Hendrick cars might be running some experimental stuff while the engines they sell might be more of a known quantity type setup.

Its like in Formula One, Ferrari and Mercedes sell their engines to other teams, but how often do those teams beat the Ferrari works team. McLaren is different in that they get the same engines that Mercedes get and Red Bull get the same engines from Renault. But you never see a Torro Rosso on the top of the podium.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Wouldn't you think they would make their engines better than engines for other teams?

Not necessarily. If there are components that you can only test in race conditions it is better to test it on the works cars than for someone that is paying for their engines. However if you disclose to the pay teams that there are testing components on the engines then its up in the air.

Ford tends to test components on the RPM cars from what I have seen as opposed to the Roush works cars. However Roush/Yates builds the Ford motors where with Chevy you have Hendrick and Childress.

What incentive would a team have to purchase an engine lease knowing the building team engines are going to be better?

The big variable is in the car set-up, If the car is handles better it is easier on the engine, thus quicker.

I would think off the shelf oil would never find its way into race when the engine is value is $75K and a plate motor is worth $150K

It's the oil!!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if these teams are buying a complete drop in engine?

Or an engine that is built to their specs and then add their own fuel, spark packages?

I would think they are about as drop in as you can get. Especially something like a plate motor where they have to breathe through a straw and wrangle as much power as possible out of them.

The engines are all the same, whithin 1-4 horsepower of each other unless say one of the cars is completly out of title comtention, they may agree to run an "R&D" engine that would offer more power and a chance to win a race, but may also fail. The engines are turn key, and in the case of Stewart-Haas, their employees never touch the engine other than to install it or remove it. Hendrick engine tuners do any maintenance and adjustments at the track. Hendrick is getting "special formula" motor oil straight from Shell and I'm sure since they are a sponsor, Stewart-Haas is getting the good stuff from Mobil. The fact that HMS cars have lost three engines since the chase started last fall (Gordon 2, Kahne 1) and Stewart Haas has had none is just the luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Since NASCAR has switched to FI for '12, teams are often swapping the injection system on to a replacement engine at the track... Yes this includes Hendrick & Stewart-Haas as there is not yet an abundance of FI systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back