HEMI GURUS

Is there anything about the SRT branded 0W-40 Pennzoil PUP that would keep the HEMI happier than say any other 0W-40/5W-40 including what I am using now which is QS Euro 5W-40?

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 6.57.21 AM.png

I think the contents of the QS and Pennzoil product are the same just different labeling. (ex, QS Euro 5w40 is same as Penn Euro 5w40 etc.).

The SRT 0W-40 is formulated with what is essential an API/ILSAC additive package, typically what you'd see in a 5W-20/5W-30, but in a 0W-40. I would consider it low SAPS, but it even has lower levels of Phosphorous than most low-SAPS Euro oils. It does have a bit more moly than many of the Euro 0W-40's, but that doesn't seem important, as the original SRT 0W-40 was M1 0W-40.

As @The Critic noted, many Euro 5W-40's/0W-40's have higher levels of phosphorous, but this is only going to potentially affect the life of emissions systems components (in this case, catalysts) if the engine consumes massive amounts of oil. The HEMI is not backed by a GPF, so really, emission protection isn't a big concern here.

The SRT 0W-40 is formulated with what is essential an API/ILSAC additive package, typically what you'd see in a 5W-20/5W-30, but in a 0W-40. I would consider it low SAPS, but it even has lower levels of Phosphorous than most low-SAPS Euro oils. It does have a bit more moly than many of the Euro 0W-40's, but that doesn't seem important, as the original SRT 0W-40 was M1 0W-40.

As @The Critic noted, many Euro 5W-40's/0W-40's have higher levels of phosphorous, but this is only going to potentially affect the life of emissions systems components (in this case, catalysts) if the engine consumes massive amounts of oil. The HEMI is not backed by a GPF, so really, emission protection isn't a big concern here.
Is there something unique about the Hemi which would require a specific oil with low SAPS/Phosphorous to be happy in regards to emission systems? I am trying to figure out why the Hemi is very specific the oil it requires.

Is there something unique about the Hemi which would require a specific oil with low SAPS/Phosphorous to be happy in regards to emission systems? I am trying to figure out why the Hemi is very specific the oil it requires.
Absolutely not, the original SRT oil was the full-SAPS M1 0W-40 for ages until the contract was pulled out from underneath Mobil with the FIAT acquisition. They (SOPUS) didn't have a Euro 0W-40 at the time and it seemed like they just tossed together an SN/GF-5 style 0W-40 to fit the application. You'll find a lot of the Euro 0W-40's are "recommend for" the SRT Chrysler spec.

Absolutely not, the original SRT oil was the full-SAPS M1 0W-40 for ages until the contract was pulled out from underneath Mobil with the FIAT acquisition. They (SOPUS) didn't have a Euro 0W-40 at the time and it seemed like they just tossed together an SN/GF-5 style 0W-40 to fit the application. You'll find a lot of the Euro 0W-40's are "recommend for" the SRT Chrysler spec.
Excellent, thanks!

Back