Pennzoil Platinum Euro for GM LS1 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using Pennzoil Platinum Euro oil 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil in their GM LS1 engines? I have a 1999 Pontiac T/A and have been using regular Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultra, but I can get 30+ quarts of the Pennzoil EURO 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil at Auto Zone on sale for two dollars a quart. Any issues using these two EURO oils in GM V-8 engines? Would my gas mileage be compromised? Any input from you guys would be appreciated.

Nuff said,

xtell

I'm assuming you've been using PP/QSUD 5w-30?

I haven't been using those Pennzoil 40 grades (yet) but I have them in my stash and eventually intend to get to them. I currently am using Mobil 1 0w-40 (non-FS version) which is quite similar in viscosity and add pack to the PP 0/5w-40 Euro's. The older M1 is more stout than the current FS version. Haven't seen any mpg issues but I don't commute in my '99 Camaro SS either. No real difference in oil pressure, warm up times, or time to build oil pressure vs. the M1 5W-30 I had been using before this. A few LS1 owners I know have been using the 0w-40 for years so I felt comfortable going with it.

I'll eventually get to the PP 5w-40 Euro and PU SRT 0w-40 I have once the Mobil 1 is used up. Get the Pennzoil at $2/qt at AZ while you can. With the $2 rebates good to Dec 31st you can get up to 24 qts for a net price of 13c/quart (ie my sales tax on $2). You can give it away and not lose anything.

Thanks for the reply's. Yes, I've been using 5w-30 QSUD and PP. Good to know that there will not be any issues with using the "Euro" oil. For some reason, most of the two dollar / on sale oils at the Auto Zone store I went to are cleaned out, but the Pennzoil Euro Oils, also on sale, have not been touched. As a side note, is there any concern using the Pennzoil "Euro" formulated oils, which can also be used in Diesel engines, causing problems with Catalytic Converters on gas engines?

For $2.00 a quart you can't go wrong... Just check the dates it was probably sitting around now they just want to get rid of it..
It's not a big selling oil like say Mobil 1 at the auto zone i deal with Mobil 1 flies off the shelves even at their ridiculous prices while most of the other synthetics collect dust. It is what it is..

Who cares if the price is good if it's really not ideal for your application? $2/qt is not that great considering you can get something like NAPA syn in 5w30 for only a little more every day of the year.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Who cares if the price is good if it's really not ideal for your application? $2/qt is not that great considering you can get something like NAPA syn in 5w30 for only a little more every day of the year.
...but it is pretty much ideal for his situation.
https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/ep...S)_(en)_TDS.pdf
It's a thin 40 weight with a viscosity index of 189 and Mercedes 229.5 approval. At $2qt. just a wee bit better value than NAPA syn 5w-30.

You can use PPE 5W-40 without any worries, specially if you drive that thing hard, it is rebottled Shell Helix Ultra , which is used by Ferrari and it's one of the leading synthetics in Europe.
I don't think you will notice much or any difference in fuel economy.

Yes, your gas mileage will be compromised and so will your WHP. Some people on here have a sensitive "butt dyno" and have reported Castrol 0W40 makes the engine more sluggish vs Mobil1 0W40 as an example.
Exactly where is the store at that is selling this oil? The oil in question is what is required for the cars in my signature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

If the LS1 is run hard the 0w-40 or 0w-30 A3/B4 make actually perform better than the 5w-30's, especially for a year long OCI of 8K-12K miles. The 0w-40 will shear down into a 30 grade after a "few" thousand miles, the 5w-30 will shear down into a weak 30 grade. The Pennz/M1 40 grades have a stouter add pack than the 5w-30. Some of these 40 grades only start with a 100c vis in the 12.8-13.2 range....much weaker than the 13.8-14.2+ seen on the stronger 40 grades.

You can decide among the 3 choices for your add packs as those vary quite a bit - high sodium - lower calcium (NAPA or Valvoline 5w-30). High calcium - no magnesium or sodium (Pennzoil, QSUD, M1 0w-40, Valvoline 0w-40 or 5w-40 HST). Or high magnesium - lowered calcium (M1 5w-30, Castrol Edge 0w-40).

While Napa may be $2.99 on sale, the Pennzoils you are considering are $2.00 this week. And after rebate, only 0-15c per quart. Tough to beat. NAPA doesn't carry the A3/B4 certs either. If you want those in a similar product you have to go up to the Valvoline 0w-40 or the HST which are also high calcium - no sodium oils like the M1 and PP. I've seen a few hundred threads on what to put into my LS1. I can't recall anyone using 5w-30 NAPA synthetic. The M1, PP, PU, Castrol Edge, Amsoil, Royal Purple, QSUD, are the ones I've seen the most often. Valvoline Synpower 30/40 grades are in their somewhere too, though far less frequently than most of those others.

None of us knows what's "ideal" for the OP's application as none of us know their driving style, OCI's, or even their climate. It's their decision

Here's a poll from 2006 on the LS1Tech.com site from over 600 LS1 owners. The M1 5w-30 won hands down back then with Mobil oils getting over 50% of the vote. But, I think the 0/5w-40 oils have gained some ground since then as people have become more familiar with them. After M1 came the Castrol, then Royal Purple. The German Castrol (GC) 0w-30 was a near 40 grade back then and very popular, coming in 3rd among individual oils. Among that group it would have the most in common with a 0w-40 grade of today. Guess very few liked the PP/PU back then. No doubt the average LS1 since 2006 has a lot more miles on it today.

POLL

I might be comparing apples to oranages here , but currently I'm using Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 in my 05' Chevy 6.0 - LQ4 engine.
No mileage decrease noted.
No difference in power felt.
Engine still purrs as usual.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Yes, your gas mileage will be compromised and so will your WHP. Some people on here have a sensitive "butt dyno" and have reported Castrol 0W40 makes the engine more sluggish vs Mobil1 0W40 as an example.
Exactly where is the store at that is selling this oil? The oil in question is what is required for the cars in my signature.

The store is on the East Side of Cleveland. Mayfield Road just East of Warrensville Center Road. I just went back in there tonight and they still had a whole slide full of Pennzoil Euro 5w-40, Castrol Edge 5w-50 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Some people on here have a sensitive "butt dyno" and have reported Castrol 0W40 makes the engine more sluggish vs Mobil1 0W40 as an example.

Some people are crazy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back