Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Wow, That's a lot for a small car. Only spent 16k on my silverado

$16k? What is it an '88?

2012 WITH 9K MILES

you don't have to pay a lot if you shop right...

So you bought a USED car and are chastising the OP because you feel his grandmother, in comparison, paid too much for her NEW car?
21.gif

That math doesn't work. Used is used. They ALL depreciate. I'm sure she could have got a used C-Max for a comparable note to your Silverado. But she didn't. She obviously wasn't looking for a used vehicle because she didn't buy a used vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Nick...have you ever driven a prius? If so how do you think they compare?

I have, and there is no comparison. The prius is slow, noisy, unrefined, and the interior is made of some of the worst plastics I've seen in years.

Interesting. My taxi guy uses a Prius, and I find its interior materials quite good. The car is not noisy nor unrefined either.

Looking at the pics you posted, I'd say that his Prius interior is actually nicer, but that's very much subjective and a personal preference, of course.

Congrats to your grandma on new wheels. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to my family so that I could help them with car purchases, too. On the other hand, sometimes it's also better to stay out of these things - if they happen to not like the vehicle or have problems with it after a while, you don't want to be feeling guilty for talking them into it.

I have, and there is no comparison. The prius is slow, noisy, unrefined, and the interior is made of some of the worst plastics I've seen in years. It may get worse gas mileage than the Prius, but the C-max in every other single way is a better daily driver.

I, too, have driven both and I find them to be very comparable. I prefer the interior and the ergonomics of the Toyota. The interior of the current Prius is well put-together and uses quality materials. The C-max certainly doesn't stand as superior in my opinion, though it's also nice. I prefer the exterior styling of the Ford. I'm sure the Ford's powertrain will be quite durable, but the Prius has a very established reliability record that some conventional powertrains can't match.

I think both hybrids bring a lot to the table. The C-max will be a better daily driver if you like the aspects where it excels. The Prius will be a better daily driver if you like the aspects where it excels. Both vehicles have certain pros and cons. There are no absolutes in the world of vehicular choice.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I have, and there is no comparison. The prius is slow, noisy, unrefined, and the interior is made of some of the worst plastics I've seen in years. It may get worse gas mileage than the Prius, but the C-max in every other single way is a better daily driver.

I, too, have driven both and I find them to be very comparable. I prefer the interior and the ergonomics of the Toyota. The interior of the current Prius is well put-together and uses quality materials. The C-max certainly doesn't stand as superior in my opinion, though it's also nice. I prefer the exterior styling of the Ford. I'm sure the Ford's powertrain will be quite durable, but the Prius has a very established reliability record that some conventional powertrains can't match.

I think both hybrids bring a lot to the table. The C-max will be a better daily driver if you like the aspects where it excels. The Prius will be a better daily driver if you like the aspects where it excels. Both vehicles have certain pros and cons.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I have, and there is no comparison. The prius is slow, noisy, unrefined, and the interior is made of some of the worst plastics I've seen in years.

Interesting. My taxi guy uses a Prius, and I find its interior materials quite good. The car is not noisy nor unrefined either.

Looking at the pics you posted, I'd say that his Prius interior is actually nicer, but that's very much subjective and a personal preference, of course.

Congrats to your grandma on new wheels. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to my family so that I could help them with car purchases, too. On the other hand, sometimes it's also better to stay out of these things - if they happen to not like the vehicle or have problems with it after a while, you don't want to be feeling guilty for talking them into it.

His is a 2009 I believe with over 100k on it at this time. On the highway, it's like a bass drum, there is basically no sound deadening at all, which really turns me off. On the other hand, her C-max is whisper quiet on the highway. Quieter than my focus, almost to the level of my Cruze I'd say.

For $11,000 LESS only 9k more miles. that's a saving of $1200 per 1000 miles.

Adds up to me...

OK, but it's apples to oranges comparison.

His is a 2009 I believe with over 100k on it at this time. On the highway, it's like a bass drum,

A car with 100K miles on it can have a number of issues that may be causing it... tires, wheel bearings, etc.

Adds up to me...

24mpg.. hahahahahahahhaha.

obviously joking or trolling.

So you are saying his grandma should have bought a used truck for her daily 55mile commute?

also 24mpg for a silvarado is not likely in ny.
sticker is UPTO 15/22
more like 15-18mpg in the winter.

Last edited:
No, just showing good prices can be found.

Yes, 24 mpg

Old school can get good MPG not just the new stuff believe it or not.

I had a 1993 Saturn that got 45mpg. All old tech

The company I work for, regional managers are given a choice of the Ford C-Max or Chevy Volt as their company car.

C-Max is much nicer than what you see in car magazines or reviews on YouTube.
Really can't compare C-Max to Prius.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Adds up to me...

24mpg.. hahahahahahahhaha.

obviously joking or trolling.

So you are saying his grandma should have bought a used truck for her daily 55mile commute?

also 24mpg for a silvarado is not likely in ny.
sticker is UPTO 15/22
more like 15-18mpg in the winter.

This is the internet where anything is possible,
wink.gif

Come pay me a visit and I will show you. Everyone has let the car industry lie for so long they cant believe anything out the "norm".

I could take a picture of my dash showing fuel usage. I may do that..

Last edited:
I have NEVER gotten less that 19.5 and that was pulling a small trailer. Average 22+
Max over 24

LLR tires, syn oil in everything, tonneau cover gave me a little extra mpg

Last edited:
Come pay me a visit and I will show you. Everyone has let the car industry lie for so long they cant believe anything out the "norm".

I could take a picture of my dash showing fuel usage. I may do that..
If you're going by the computer's estimate on mpg instead of by hand you may be wrong. Plus taking a picture isn't going to show anything. I can reset the mpg meter on my grandmas trailblazer going downhill and it'll say the average mpg is 40 mpg

No, just showing good prices can be found.

Yes, 24 mpg

Old school can get good MPG not just the new stuff believe it or not.

I had a 1993 Saturn that got 45mpg. All old tech

My M5 and our Charger both get excellent gas mileage. Charger averaged 26Mpg in our recent trip. Not bad for a car scaling north of 4K pounds and rocking around 350HP.

And the old school stuff doesn't have MDS, which is the only reason the Charger gets the gas mileage it does.

I still don't see how this is at all relevant to Nick's grandmother getting a new car though
21.gif

Regular cab, 2WD, short bed, V6, pushing 3.08's, on flat ground and say 60mph max, lots of highway driving, no cold temps, I could buy 24mpg. I've seen a couple of tanks in my Tundra at 21mpg, like consecutive tanks (one was a 22!), and that is rated at 19 highway. EPA highway can be beat. [But the year's average has been 19, go figure. Cold weather is not it's friend! and the first few tanks were terrible.]

But such numbers are not the norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back