Help with Wireless Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to get my other PC in a different part of the house connected to the internet by attempting to get it to function as a "repeater" however it seems to never work right.

My main router is a Linksys running the Tomato Firmware. What I'd like to do is get a Netgear router "get" the wireless signal from the Linksys, and then be able to use a wired connection to the PC from the Netgear.

Have any suggestions? Trying to get this to work vice buying another like model Linksys to get this to work.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

If your Linksys router can run Tomato and your Netgear can only use stock firmware, I'd swap them and use the Linksys in Client mode with either Tomato or DD-WRT.

Is there a particular reason you use the Linksys as main with Tomato? If so, sell the Netgear and buy something that support DD-WRT or Tomato, or a router with native support for client mode.

Only reason I'm using the Linksys as the Primary is it seems to be a better router than the Netgear (WPN824). I should try to see if it will work in reverse placement. I did used to have hangups and need to reboot the Netgear from time to time for whatever reason. I'll have to re-install it and see if it still happens. If not, I might do what you suggest to see if it works that way - Thanks!

D-Junk, errrr, I mean D-Link makes an inexpensive router that functions as a repeater. My experience with it is that it isn't the most reliable product in the world, but does do what it is supposed to do....

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
I have been trying to get my other PC in a different part of the house connected to the internet by attempting to get it to function as a "repeater" however it seems to never work right.

My main router is a Linksys running the Tomato Firmware. What I'd like to do is get a Netgear router "get" the wireless signal from the Linksys, and then be able to use a wired connection to the PC from the Netgear.

Have any suggestions? Trying to get this to work vice buying another like model Linksys to get this to work.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I've done what you're suggesting using a Buffalo as the primary and an old Linksys as the secondary but I'm not using the Linksys as a repeater and instead as a wireless bridge for my Blu-Ray player (tied to the Linksys with a network cable).

Both have Tomato loaded on them as it makes things much easier to set up and more reliable. If you can get two routers that can run Tomato as the stock firmware on D-Links blows and the stock on the old Linksys (and even the Buffalo) isn't much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back