What fast wireless router to use with DSL modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed ATTs 6 Mbps DSL and it rocks.

Bad news is that when I insert my old faithful Linksys 802.11b router the speed drop to under 3 Mbps even on the wired Ethernet connection from the router.

Are there any suggestions for tuning my router which is a Linksys BEFW11S4 V2 to work better with the ATT supplied Motorola Model 2210.02 DSL modem?

I would like to keep the Linksys router because it's been solid as rock for about 7 years and has a 100 yard range, but will replace it if it's not tunable to work at 6Mbps with the Motorola modem.

In my original post I forgot to say that I needed to set the Motorola DSL modem to "bridge" to get it to work with the router.

It the Linksys Router wouldn't work at all with the Motorola DSL modem until I did that. I found that tip on an old forum that had some tech support quotes from SBC before ATT consumed them. It was also mention in a DSL forum.

Originally Posted By: XS650
In my original post I forgot to say that I needed to set the Motorola DSL modem to "bridge" to get it to work with the router.

It the Linksys Router wouldn't work at all with the Motorola DSL modem until I did that. I found that tip on an old forum that had some tech support quotes from SBC before ATT consumed them. It was also mention in a DSL forum.

You probably need bridge mode because the DSL modem has a built in router. You can usually configure the modem for bridge mode also. Bridge mode is just a passthrough, the device looks like a wire.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: XS650

You probably need bridge mode because the DSL modem has a built in router. You can usually configure the modem for bridge mode also. Bridge mode is just a pass through, the device looks like a wire.

Thanks for the reply, and you are right. I ended up taking another path.

I should have mentioned that it was originally bridge mode on the modem with PPPOE on the router that cut my throughput in 1/2.

I think it was a router firmware problem. I read the updated Linksys firmware descriptions and one of the last upgrades in 2004 mentioned fixing PPPOE compatibility.

I flashed the router firmware, unbridged the modem, set the router for static IP to the modem address and now I get 5.5 Mbps or better throughput.

I prefer keeping the modem in it's basic configuration in case I have to troubleshoot it with an ATT script reader someday.

It's nice little modem, it will spill it's guts to you and tell you everything it knows if you log onto it.

I had to go with Verizon router (free) when I switched to FIOS. My trusty Belkin set up (router, 2 repeaters) could not manage the throughput of a 20 Mbps line, even in wired mode, which is within router's rated 100 Mbps wired throughput.

About an hour after my previous success I tried getting our two laptops to work with the router. They showed a strong signal with a connection but I kept getting warnings of low to no connectivity and couldn't connect to the net over wireless. Then another hour later the router quit talking over the Ethernet line.

It worked for another while after I reset it then went Tango Uniform again. It's time to replace that 8 year old jewel.I don't think it liked the latest firmware upgrade.

It is probably the router just being old. However, a couple of SWAG's pop to mind:

Is the DSL modem a real router that can handle the pppoe connection and routing IP, or is it just a bridge type thing that requires you to connect a computer to negotiate the PPPOE connection? If you connected your computer first when you set up the DSL, ATT probably used that machine's MAC address for the modem authentication... You may have to have the router spoof the mac address.

Also, did you install the telephone line filters on the other phones in the house? It usually doesn't affect the internet connectivity, but you never know.

Power. I was working a call in downtown LA at a factory, and their DSL kept crapping out every hour. The wiring in the building was suspect / old, but when the dsl was working, the throughput was pretty darn good. Turned out that the router and dsl modem *didn't* like being plugged in to a surge protector / powerstrip for whatever reason. Same symptoms, too - great signal strength on the router, but random dsl disconnects.

Last edited:
I'm going out to get a new router this morning. This has been an interesting learning experience.

The modem does the PPPOE negotiation. There is an option to turn it into a bridge. I have run it both ways and am back to PPPOE at the modem now. Account name and password are in the modem, not the router or PC.

Filters are installed at all phones.

The fact that the router stopped working over the Ethernet a couple of hours after I flashed the firmware has caused me to retire it.

Thanks all for the clues I have gotten here and elsewhere. It got me through the process a lot faster than I could have on my own.
11.gif

I recently changed from cable internet to ATT Pro DSL (3 Meg download). One thing I found out about was the MTU size. My Netgear router was set to 1500 for cable. For DSL it needs to be changed to 1492 - it made a noticeable improvement on my wireless connection. Also, I think the RWIN settings can be optimized in your PC for DSL.

I don't remember all the specifics, but a little searching at broadbandreports should provide everything you need.

Now that I have everything working, I'll try some of the DSLreports tweaking later.

My nominal 6Mbps system runs at about 5.5 Mbps on my desktop over Ethernet and on the Linux and Windows laptops running wireless. I'm a happy camper.

I bought a Linsys WRT54GS router and it works like a champ. My Motorola/ATT DSL modem is handling the PPPOE and the router just treats is like a static IP as far as I can tell.

I used the Linksys Wizard to set it up so missed some of what was being done. I might go back and do a manual setup later just so I know what's going on.

I had to do a manual setup on my Linux laptop, it went quicker than messing around with the Linksys Wizard on my wife's Windoze laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back