Help with replacement car for son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started a similar post several weeks ago but that was more spit-balling and now have some specifics

Would welcome any thoughts on the following... As per previous post, my son's 04 Civic was totaled in Dec and we need to replace... He's 21

Completely open to suggestions but, as per sig below, I'm partial to Honda's

Here's what we know so far:

*. Budget: $11,500
* Miles Driven: 25,000 annual
*. Commute: highway rush hour
Average speed: 55 +/-
500 miles weekly

I am only considering dealers as I don't trust private party due to "Sandy" cars

There's an '08 Civic LX locally for $11,500. 48,000 miles 5 speed manual... I figure I should/could get them down to $11k

Reading some others posts over the last month, mention was made of the new Ford Fiesta being a good deal

My son went on Ford's web site and built aFiesta S for $14,500 or so.

Friend of mine owns a Ford dealership and I believe I can get the Fiesta close to cost... I have absolutely no idea of what "cost" might be... $12k? More?

Mention was also made of the Nissan Sentra...I have virtually 0 experience with Nissan

My questions:

* any thoughts on the fiesta?
* assuming pricing comes in roughly the same (within 15% or so), does it make any sense to consider the 08 Civic?

I ask because we used to lease Windstars when the kids were younger. Did this twice... between the 2nd and 3rd year, the car's fit and finish started to degrade: Rattling windows, sliding doors would act up... I didn't really care as they were leased but to buy and then face this garbage would annoy me greatly.

Per sig below, have the 06 honda minivan which is just as solid as day 1

To add to the confusion, I'm very prejudiced when it comes to cars:

1. I will never support GM post-bail out
2. German cars make me nervous as there seem to be electrical issues. I'm going to say that 20%(?) of those I see seem to have lights out... Tail light, parking,... I personally have no experience with German cars

Like everyone else, I'm looking to get the most bang for the buck. And, as mentioned above, the Civic was totaled and it's going to take me months of battling with the insurance company before I come close to what I think the car is worth. That said, resale value is a huge concern as well.

Sorry for the long post - can't imagine I left anything out...?

Your thoughts?

I will... We drove thru a lot today but look too closely... This particular lot had only pricier units out there so I'll go to their web site

Should I be concerned about Hyundai DI engines?

I personally would NOT get a 08' Civic which is 6 model yrs. old for 11K+. The 8th generation of Civics had the engine casting issues. (Which I believe Honda upped the warranty period on their engines.) Terrible sound from stock tweeter location under front windshield. Bad "A" pillar blind spot. Poor frontward visability going up or down hills. I really do not think these cars are all that good as people make them out to be. BUT they do hold their resale well. But, for a few thousand more buy NEW. IMO, Doesn't make sense to buy used Honda. Also, your 04' was a better Civic. Finally, I'd get the Fiesta in a heartbeat over the used Civic. BUT, only in a manual. Great deals to be had on these cars. Hyundai Accent and Kio Rio also would be good to consider as well. Good Luck !

If you can get a Fiesta at cost from your friend, I would do that. They're good little econoboxes, plus it will be new and come with a 5yr/60K drivetrain warranty. Good gas mileage as well.

Have you considered a late 7th gen or early 8th gen Accord? The K24 has a timing chain so no belt to worry about, and they are very reliable. Plus, you could get a 7th gen for less then what your budget is. Another good suggestion would be a corolla as others have said. I would avoid that 08 Civic, they like to crash engine blocks.

I like the idea of a fiesta at cost but it will be close to MSRP. They don't profit much on the little things.

If it is just a commuter car, I would look at the 2007-'10 Hyundai Elantras.

I'm seeing them come up for sale at better prices than I expected. They're closer to Cobalt prices than Civic.

It's the previous body style. It's not a hideously ugly car. It's not particularly good looking either. IMO, the interior is better quality than the Civic, Cobalt or Focus and they have a decent reputation for reliability.

Or the previous generation Sonata. Looks a little like an Accord. Not a particularly engaging car to drive but it is functional.

Because of basic physics, i couldnt recommend the fiesta. With highway commuting (and piece of mind with safety) get a larger midsize sedan. Your son already totaled his first car, his second one should be bigger. I'm not placing blame because you didnt post specifics, but he is 21, and will probably wreck it again. With that in mind, lower your budget about half and then rethink your strategy.

I would steer FAR AWAY from the Nissan Sentra. My aunt just recently traded in her 2008 Sentra with 124,000 miles that literally barely made it to the dealership. The CVT was replaced twice, the engine was knocking for unknown reason (she was religious with oil changes) and it was just falling apart.

Now, on the other hand, my wife's 2011 Altima with 61k miles has been a great car for us with no problems at all.

Has anyone recommended a Scion tC to you? I drove a 2008 tC all through college that I got new when I graduated from high school. It had 90,000 absolutely trouble free miles when I traded it in. All that was ever done was oil changes and one front brake replacement. It has the 2az-fe that the Carmy uses. It was a very good car for me. And your son might like it better as it may be a little sportier (without sports car insurance premiums) than say a Fiesta..To each his own though. Good luck!

Look for another used compact like a Focus or Elantra.

Although, if your buddy can get you a new manual Fiesta at cost, I'd look hard at it.

Personally, Im a Honda guy, they're familiar to me. As said, what about an Accord? If you have the time & patience, there's always clean, genuine cars to be found.

Safety is one of the reasons I drive BMW's almost exclusively, having survived a number of accidents that should have, and likely would have, killed me had I been in a less sturdy vehicle (flipping and rolling at 85mph, for example).

Right now, the E36 generation cars, especially the M3's, are very much in the sweet spot for price to value, and likely will not go any lower. The general rule for an E36 M3 is 10k. That is, a perfectly sorted, maintained, no accident M3 fully up to date maintenance wise is around 10 grand.
I have been looking myself, and seen a few desirable cars (Alpine White, Helrot, etc, 5MT,full records, etc) w fewer than 70k miles for between 8800 and 10.2k.

Non-M E46 (325/330) can be found in the price range as well, with a nice, good mileage 04 330 selling for less than 11k.

Just a few suggestions.

For eleven five, you're into a new car price range.
A basic new car with warranty beats any used car.
A new car is a known quantity.
No used car is.
I'd go for a new Yaris/Versa/Spark/Mazda 2/Fiesta.

Seems as though your post is a moot point. If you are partial to Hondas, and have had good luck with them, why bother consulting the board over a decision you already have an answer for? Ask 10 people for their opinion, you'll probably get ten answers. Asking for opinions to accompany your prejudices is a war fought with blank ammunition.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
If you can get a Fiesta at cost from your friend, I would do that. They're good little econoboxes, plus it will be new and come with a 5yr/60K drivetrain warranty. Good gas mileage as well.

+1. Honda interiors are nothing to write home about, so if the interior holding up is your concern, I wouldn't be.

A new Versa is pretty close to your budget. There's a warranty and it's fuel efficient. Space should be pretty comparable to the 04 Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back