Help with oil choice - Mustang 4.6L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 00 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 with 75k miles on it, excellent condition, well maintained. I've had the car a few months. Runs beautifully, no leaks or oil usage detected. I pretty much baby the car, I don't race it or drive it hard. An older man was the previous owner and I suspect he treated it much the same. I drive approx 3000 miles per years, mostly shorter trips, stop and go type driving. Owners manual calls for 5-30 oil, but i see a lot of people recommending 5-20 for this motor. Even though I put very few miles on the car, I do like to change the oil at least every 6 months. I thought about synthetic, but my take on synthetic was that its advantage was longer service intervals and I change it every 6 mos, so what's the point? So to you who know more than I do, if you owned this car, what would you put in it?

Amsoil XL series in 5W-30 or 5W-20 would be the right choice. The oil is listed as 7,500 miles or 6 months, longer if you have an on board oil life monitor.

I wouldn't use syn in your application, it would be a waste. Any good dino 5W30 would work well. I would run Valvoline, GTX, etc. and change it every fall. Heck, I like using SuperTech, and that would work well too. I also don't believe you ~have~ to change the oil at 6 months either. I UOA'd my wife's Malibu Maxx after a winter run on ST 5W30 and it looked just like the summer sample. IMO,(and given your driving habits), if you're only running 3K miles, a yearly change should be fine. You could do a UOA at the end of the run and verify.

That's about the mileage I put on my truck, the 5.4l. I use M1 EP 5W-30 in it and change once every two years. Some may say overkill, but with that good of an oil and as much as it sits, I think it's a peaceful medium to be in. So it costs me 32 bucks for the oil and a couple of bucks for the Motorcraft filter. But, I change it every two years. Yeah, I can handle that.

If you go synthetic, I'd use PP 5w-20 or Amsoil 0w-20. Otherwise, any oil will work just fine.

Quote:

I have a 00 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 with 75k miles on it, excellent condition, well maintained. I've had the car a few months. Runs beautifully, no leaks or oil usage detected. I pretty much baby the car, I don't race it or drive it hard. An older man was the previous owner and I suspect he treated it much the same. I drive approx 3000 miles per years, mostly shorter trips, stop and go type driving. Owners manual calls for 5-30 oil, but i see a lot of people recommending 5-20 for this motor. Even though I put very few miles on the car, I do like to change the oil at least every 6 months. I thought about synthetic, but my take on synthetic was that its advantage was longer service intervals and I change it every 6 mos, so what's the point? So to you who know more than I do, if you owned this car, what would you put in it?

Was in walmart on monday they had Motorcraft oil recomendation chart hanging there so i took a look at it if memory serves me right that car was recomended 5w20 to my surprise. Alot of older cars had a 5w20 recmendation also, ones you wouldn't think. Give the 5w20 a try for one OCI & see how you like it. AAP is closing out Q Torque Power 5w20 for $2.95 a qt it's a syn for a conventional price.

I just don't see the need to run a 5W-20 in Texas unless you're operating in ambient temperatures between -10F and 32F all day. I'd go with the factory recommended 5W-30 in the Valvoline Maxlife flavor.

Yeah, they back recommended 5W-20 from like 1999 on. My 2002 gets 5W-20 and seems to like it better and seems to run quieter. I only change Amsoil annually because of the low mileage and it sits 4 months over the winter.

Quote:

Owners manual calls for 5-30 oil, but i see a lot of people recommending 5-20 for this motor.

And why is that anyway?
confused.gif

Quote:

Cheapest dino 5w20 you can find.

I agree if he's set on 6 month OCI's.
I'm doing about the same miles in my F150 and using a MC 820s and Q Power 5W-20 for 12 month OCI's...
i change it in December before I put the truck up for the winter...yes, i put her up for the winter. NY winters suck.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Owners manual calls for 5-30 oil, but i see a lot of people recommending 5-20 for this motor.

And why is that anyway?
confused.gif

Because they back-speced it to 5W20 after the owners manual was already in the car.

And the advantage of 5W-20 over the original 5W-30 would be __________?

fuel economy, which is why Ford went to 5W-20.

But isn't 5W-30 already supposed to be a fuel economy oil?
confused.gif

A Toyota operative inside Ford did it to make engines melt after the warranty gives up. These melting engines would seriously damage Fords already very damaged reputation and would cause people to buy a new car from...Toyota.[/sarcasm]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back