Help with ODBII P0015 Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife called me at work today saying the check engine and trac lights came on in her 2010 Highlander. I tell her to tighten the gas cap and restart the car. The lights stayed on. She went to AAP and they pulled the codes and got a P0015. She parked it and went into work for a few (about 2) hours, came back out, started the car and the lights were still on. She starts driving home and after about an hour she stops to get gas and when she started the car back up the lights go out.

My question is, should I be concerned? I read about the P0015 code meaning cam shaft position timing over retarded, and possible issues with the VVTI. If the lights go out on their own should I still be getting it checked out?

Thanks for the links, however I've already looked up the code. I realize the potential issues with a P0015. My question, more concisely, is that the light went out on its own. Do I worry about it or not?

If you have good earths and continuity then swap the sensor out. Quick and was wa to narrow it down..

Could the belt/chain be stretched? VVT actuators gummed up? Trigger wheel n the correct position?

How clean is your oil? Being that the check engine light is intermittent, that leads be to suspect an issue with the cam phaser oil control valve. Maybe it's sludged up.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How clean is your oil? Being that the check engine light is intermittent, that leads be to suspect an issue with the cam phaser oil control valve. Maybe it's sludged up.

It shouldn't be sludged up. It's got 160,000 miles but it's 90% highway miles and synthetic changes every 5K since new.

Do you have your own scanner? May be there some some Mode6 data (test results) stored which can tell the test results causing the P0015 code. If those tests results are on the borderline, then it would explain why the light came on and then went off on its own.

Unfortunately, lot of digging will have to be done before you could figure which specific Mode6 test turns on that code as that is not standardized but yours being relatively new 2010, you have much better chances.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Do you have your own scanner? May be there some some Mode6 data (test results) stored which can tell the test results causing the P0015 code. If those tests results are on the borderline, then it would explain why the light came on and then went off on its own.

Unfortunately, lot of digging will have to be done before you could figure which specific Mode6 test turns on that code as that is not standardized but yours being relatively new 2010, you have much better chances.

I don't have my own scanner and I'm pretty sure one that can read mode 6 is going to be $200+

Short of getting the mode 6 data, it sounds like we should just ride it out and see if it happens again. I suppose it's possible it was just a loose gas cap.

The gas cap has as much bearing on the issue and what you had for dinner the night before.

$200.00 will get you a decent scan tool- and you'll more than save that in repair costs. Think of it as making an investment with guaranteed returns.

You could buy bluetooth thingy and free torque app for your android phone for under $15 and get the Mode6 data. If you want a standalone scanner, Autel has one which gives this info on their $50 scanner. I have made many entries about affordable scanners in this forum. If you search, you will get the exact name and the place where to get it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back