Help with grease selection on link belt bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the manufacture calls for. NLGI#2 mutipurpose roller bearing grease having corosion inhibitors,anti-oxidant additives and mechanical stability for high speed operation, should have a min. base oil vis. of 500sus at 100 degrees and operate continuously at 225 degrees, do not use heavy long fibered grease.. I have been using lucas red and tacky, Is this a heavy long fibered grease, And is there a better choice?

long fiber/sticky greases are not good for a roller bearing they will buld heat and add a small load to system.

you want a "buttery" texture grease most common is Li or Al
Based whatever brand you use upon change over be advised that the old and new grease maybe incompatible and will then tend to de gell or "melt" out of bearing untill most all old grease is purged so increase lube interval for a few weeks/months to purge old grease.
bruce

bruce

tom slick, I dont know the rpm, these bearings are on a stump grinder, Ive had failure in as little as 100 hrs..How can i be sure the Lucas grease is not long fibered? Or is it?

Lucas Red and Tacky is a Lithium-12OH thickened grease. It has a Timken OK load rating of 60 lb. and dropping point of 540 deg. F. It should be fine for your application. If you want even a better grease try Texas Refinery Corp.'s Paragon 3000. It is a Calcium-Lithium complex grease. It has a Timken OK load rating of 100 lb. and a dropping point of 630 deg. F. and a big plus for your application it has a oil seperation (ASTM D-1742) rating of 0.00%. This is a problem solver grease.

Lucas Red N' Tacky Tech sheet says: "Especially good for sliding surfaces and open gears." No mention of roller bearings. I'm guessing long fibered which is designed to stick to open surfaces.

I'll recommend my favorite grease PL-10 from MPC. 500F operating temp, 60 Timken OK, 500 KG weld on the 4 ball test. Very impressive Lithium 12 grease. I use it in the front bearings on my truck, as it is designed for roller bearings.

Other wise, Amsoil General perp #2 looks like it would work just fine as well.

The Paragon 3000 listed by DieselPower looks interesting. Could not find a tech sheet/MSDS or a 4 ball test for it though.
confused.gif

put grease on fingers pull apart if tacky or long fiber will have strings on fingers hard to explain just try it "buttery" is like butter on fingers NO TACK or strings form.
bruce

This Paragon 3000 grease sounds interesting , Anybody else using it? Can we find a tech sheet on this product? Is this a long fibered grease?

Here's the link to Paragon 3000 on my website. The specifications are at the bottom of the page. I have alot of customers that use this grease for problem lubrication points like lubricating asphalt plant equipment where they need a very high droping point grease so it does not melt out and must also have a high load carying ability. One thing not listed on the website is what kind of grease it is. It is a Calcium-Lithium complex grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back