Help - Paint chip repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a new White Toyota and have a few chips on the hood from pebbles being kicked up on the highway. In the past have used touch up paint from the dealer, but I must not have the "touch" because the resulting blob looks worst than the chip.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Bill R

Try Langka Paint Chip Repair. I've used it on the advice of others and it works wonders. If the touch-ups you've already applied aren't too old, it will likely work on those. I've known of a few people who have used it on touch-ups that are over a year old. All you do is lightly rub it across a touch-up blob with t-shirt material wrapped around a plastic card that's provided. It's gentle, very easy to use, and won't harm your paint. I believe Mothers also makes a similar product that uses the same technology.

You have to order it directly from the manufacturer. A google search will get you there.

yep, mother's paint chip or touch up repair kit. Probably have to call mother's 800#, I've never seen it in stores.
The way it works is it dissolves the touch up paint slowly. It's like a liquid wax and you rub it over the blob of touchup paint to smooth it out. If you rub too long you eventually remove all the touch up paint, but will never hurt the original paint or clearcoat.
Worked great on my camaro SS, black, after rock from a weedwacker chipped the front quater panel.

get the touch up paint from toyota, then cut the tip of the brush so it is on an angle, to a point. or you can use a toothpick to apply the paint.

normally i wipe my dings with a little rubbing alcohol prior to applying the paint.

i've found that a beer or three steadies my hand.

cheers.gif

I've had bad luck with the touchup paint for my pearl white toyota. I ordered touchup paint for it from paintscratch dot com . It's a 3 part touchup like the original paint. I'm very please. Also had very good luck with the spray paint on a 98 nissan. Again, dealer touchup was a very poor match. I highly recommend paintscratch . FYI, if the stuff ever thickens up or drys up, use an automotive lacquer thinner which can be found at places like pepboys. DO NOT use regular mineral spirits paint thinner. Also lacquer thinner might help with your blobbing problem. If you thin out the touchup a little , might not blob as bad.

[ October 18, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: RussellA ]

This is courtesy of Helm Inc.(printing, binding and distribution of automotive OEM service manuals)
smile.gif

Considering restoring a classic car or just polishing up
your car? Here’s how to repair a paint chip:

1. Purchase touch-up paint for your car. (For the correct paint, see your Owners Manual)
2. Purchase a small amount of automotive clear coat.
3.Wash the area surrounding the paint chip and dry it thoroughly.
4. Using a small soft brush or Q-tip, clean out the paint chip.
5. Shake up the touch-up paint
6. Take a paper match and trim the non-lightable end to a point. Matches work well for applying paint.
7. Apply a small amount of paint to the chip. Try not to get any on the surrounding paint.
8. Allow the touch-up paint to dry thoroughly, then apply a layer of clear coat over the touch-up paint.
9. Allow the clear coat to dry then apply a second layer. You want to build the clear coat up higher than the surrounding paint.
10. Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours.
11. Using 1500-grit sand paper, lightly sand the area. Make sure there is no dirt on the car or the sand paper. This will cause scratches.
12. Using 2000-grit sand paper, sand the area again until smooth.
13. Finish the process using a fine polishing compound on a soft cloth. This will bring back the shine.
14. If you can still see swirl marks, try a car cleaner polish or a cleaner wax with a fine abrasive.
15. The paint chip should now be gone and very hard to see. Only you will know where it was.
Tips:
1. Always check your Owner_Manual and Service Manual before beginning any repair.
2. Don’t be in a hurry. Make sure the paint is 100 percent dry before sanding.
3. Only sand a very small area surrounding the paint chip. Don’t go crazy.
4. Sand only in one direction; do not go round in circles.

I also enthusiasticlly endorse the Langka chip repair system. It really, easily works to remove those touch up paint blobs. It was developed for home use by a company that is one of the main suppliers to the professional's that repair paint chips 7 dings etc.

cool.gif
I spray the touch-up paint (if it's spray) onto a piece of cardboard, then I tear off a paper match and dab the torn end into the paint and use it like a paintbrush.

quote:

Originally posted by clutchless:
I also enthusiasticlly endorse the Langka chip repair system. It really, easily works to remove those touch up paint blobs. It was developed for home use by a company that is one of the main suppliers to the professional's that repair paint chips 7 dings etc.

I also use this but with not so great results. It usually results in taking too much of the new paint off and not leveling it. Guess I don't have the patience for it and or not enough beers.

Do you guys know if touch-up paint (dealer obtained) needs primer as it seems like all areas I've touched up seem to be re-appearing as chips about 6-12 months later...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back