Dr Color Chip repair

Thought I would post this for those of you who may have seen the advertisements but were unwilling to give it a try.

A bit of background. A good friend of mine was leaning against the rear quarter panel with his keys in his hand. Result was this scratch. I was aggravated but he is a good friend and they can be hard to come by. So decided to try this repair using Dr Color Chip. I am not about to repaint the entire area professionally and regular touch up paint usually ends up looking worse than the scratch. I am happy with the results. Not perfect, but not very noticeable if you are not looking for it.

The process took less than 15 minutes Cleaned area with rubbing alcohol. Applied the paint with a pointed toothpick. Let dry 5 minutes. Used their special solvent to remove the excess paint. Buff with microfiber cloth.

DAD3F7EF-0FE2-4C44-A23F-DCAD9335449C.jpeg
CCFC70D3-7A6E-4946-A6BF-17D24AFDCE75.jpeg
5411D1E4-C31E-4D8E-BE4F-081D52EA27B9.jpeg

I have used Dr CC. You can use it in repeat applications to fill in more of the void if you want to. It has a limited shelf life though.

You'd mix up a pint for a scratch?
No, I would have my paint supplier mix me a touch up bottle for $12. You can get this, their color matches are very good, I have used them for some touch up colors when my supplier was closed due to the virus.

Trav,
I am sure you could have a perfect touch up paint made for $12 but trying to make sure there are no blobs extending beyond the margin of the defect is near impossible for me and I suspect the average owner. This system uses a solvent to gently remove the excess and ensure the paint fills to the level of the surrounding paint. Makes for a consistent 3 foot repair.

The Dr. Color Chip paint was matched to my VIN. I have used this with the same degree of success and a bit better with stone chips. So far it averages out to $6 per chip/scratch to repair with most of the paint still remaining.

To Wrenchturner44, I have had this same bottle for three years. I keep it in my basement which is temperature controlled and it still works fine.

No, I would have my paint supplier mix me a touch up bottle for $12. You can get this, their color matches are very good, I have used them for some touch up colors when my supplier was closed due to the virus.

I'm a dealer touch-up pen/bottle guy myself.

I see where you're coming from, but Dr. Colorchip does make the touch-up process very simple.

Trav,
I am sure you could have a perfect touch up paint made for $12 but trying to make sure there are no blobs extending beyond the margin of the defect is near impossible for me and I suspect the average owner. This system uses a solvent to gently remove the excess and ensure the paint fills to the level of the surrounding paint. Makes for a consistent 3 foot repair.

The Dr. Color Chip paint was matched to my VIN. I have used this with the same degree of success and a bit better with stone chips. So far it averages out to $6 per chip/scratch to repair with most of the paint still remaining.

To Wrenchturner44, I have had this same bottle for three years. I keep it in my basement which is temperature controlled and it still works fine.
I get it, the job looks fine. I do this work mostly with an air brush so I prefer un-reduced base coat so I can thin it to what I need.
You are lucky they could do with the VIN, they used it for the basic info, the color code is usually not available from the VIN and even with the color code I have run in variants that were not even available using that.

When that happens and it is common you need a paint shop to match a body piece with a chip card which works well for the sides, front and rear, top panels will possibly need tweaking to account for fading. I recently did a white hood respray 3 different variants were possible.

This system is no replacement for professional repair such as you are taking about. I am happy to live with a 3 foot repair. If perfection is your goal, this is not it, but it is a reasonable replacement for the usual touch up blobs.

I have used Dr. Colorchip on two different cars. It worked well as far as filling in the crater where a rock chip occurred, but in one case the color was noticeably lighter and in another it was noticeably darker. Both paints were metallic. I followed the directions to a T and made sure that the paint was well mixed.

Good thing that both spots were only about 3mm in diameter or the color difference would have made the spots really stand out.

The nice part of doctor color chip is that the paint has clear coat in it...NO need to apply clear coat to ir after you are done...

Trav,

Thanks for posting this link. Need to touch up multiple scratches, mainly bumper, on the white S550 I am working on.

Selection of paint color from Automotive Touch Up could not of been easier. Put in your make, model, and year. Then click on the paint you have. Easy as eating a pancake. I am in a hotel room in WDC, took about two minutes. Didn't even have to sign up for a account- just used paypal. They offered the paint in every conceivable delivery method, from pen to can.

Very nice way to order touch up automotive paint..... so simple and easy..... zero hassle....

Item No.: 2BTL-BC
Description: 2 oz Touchup Bottle, 2011 Mercedes-Benz S Class: Diamond White Pearl 799
Quantity: 1
Item Price: $29.95
Item Total: $29.95

Item No.: 2BTL-CC
Description: 2 oz Bottle High Gloss Clear Coat
Item Price: $7.48
Item Total: $7.48

I could not get it to work on my BMW. Color match was fine but every time I did the second step it just took the paint back off. Must have tried 10 times, never got the leveled out paint I was looking for and gave up.🤬

Trav,

Thanks for posting this link. Need to touch up multiple scratches, mainly bumper, on the white S550 I am working on.

Selection of paint color from Automotive Touch Up could not of been easier. Put in your make, model, and year. Then click on the paint you have. Easy as eating a pancake. I am in a hotel room in WDC, took about two minutes. Didn't even have to sign up for a account- just used paypal. They offered the paint in every conceivable delivery method, from pen to can.

Very nice way to order touch up automotive paint..... so simple and easy..... zero hassle....

Item No.: 2BTL-BC
Description: 2 oz Touchup Bottle, 2011 Mercedes-Benz S Class: Diamond White Pearl 799
Item Price: $29.95
Item Total: $29.95

Item No.: 2BTL-CC
Description: 2 oz Bottle High Gloss Clear Coat
Item Price: $7.48
Item Total: $7.48
I used them for a pint of sprayable Subaru 3K3 two tone for scrapes on the sides of the rear bumper last year, I blended it on the corners with no tape line, used a 2K clear and a little blending clear to melt the whole thing together. It was a perfect match.
Before painting flexible plastic parts and bumpers you can get an excellent bonding agent from polyvance, spray can size is usually enough for a large spot or single trim piece. On the MB 799 you want to use a white primer, regular for metal body parts and the poly for bumper and flex trim.

Back