Help me understand what makes one a Dexos oil and one not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rav4H2019
Go with synthetic 10w30 or higher for summer in your gm. Dealer put in gm dexos5w30 whatever in a relatives 2016 equinox. Still timing chain failure at 36k miles.

You mean D1G2 didn't work surprise, surprise.

Go with synthetic 10w30 or higher for summer in your gm. Dealer put in gm dexos5w30 whatever in a relatives 2016 equinox. Still timing chain failure at 36k miles.

Was the failure due to the oil grade?

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the lube. A quick search on Google shows that the Equinox has a long history, dating back to 2011, of timing chain problems (premature failures)/complaints. No lube can compensate for sub standard quality/design.

Last edited:
Lollllll so what makes you think that GM designated oil is better than synthetic 10w30 in summer. They have had since 2011 to work on this chain problem that does not appear on most cars.

My rav4H has 0w16 but in Australia allows 10w30 all the way upto 15w40 in summer time. Go figure.

Lollllll so what makes you think that GM designated oil is better than synthetic 10w30 in summer. They have had since 2011 to work on this chain problem that does not appear on most cars.

My rav4H has 0w16 but in Australia allows 10w30 all the way upto 15w40 in summer time. Go figure.
The engine tolerance must be looser in Australia.

Originally Posted by NH73

I've been told a lot fly's down under ...‚

Do Australian bound Rav4's have to meet CAFE standards, because that's the principle driver behind thin lubes like a 0w16. I can use a 5w20 but I run a 5w30 or even 10w30 because i don't give a rats butt about CAFE; I value wear protection over CAFE.. and I still have the original timing chain at 165k miles and have never seen metal flakes to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Do Australian bound Rav4's have to meet CAFE standards, because that's the principle driver behind thin lubes like a 0w16. I can use a 5w20 but I run a 5w30 or even 10w30 because i don't give a rats butt about CAFE; I value wear protection over CAFE.. and I still have the original timing chain at 165k miles and have never seen metal flakes to be concerned about.

If Toyota stakes its reputation for industry leading
reliability on 0W-16 you can bet it protects just fine where recommended. I'd trust their testing over the ubiquitous CAFE diatribe read on the 'net.

And please, don't someone come along twisting my words. I'm sure the recommended Aussie specs work fine too.

Originally Posted by NH73

No...The piston rings spin in the opposite direction in the Global South. Since there still isn't a ratified CounterClockwise Piston Ring Spin(CCPRS) oil test, you need to use at least a 15W40.

I have never used a officially approved Dexos1 in ether Gen 1 or Gen 2 form in any GM vehicle I have owned including my 2015 Silverado and 2017 Equinox. I just don't worry about it. i do use an oil that claims to meet all the latest standards and has a historically solid reputation. I sleep well at night and let everyone else get all worked up about the Dexos thing.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
I have never used a officially approved Dexos1 in ether Gen 1 or Gen 2 form in any GM vehicle I have owned including my 2015 Silverado and 2017 Equinox. I just don't worry about it. i do use an oil that claims to meet all the latest standards and has a historically solid reputation. I sleep well at night and let everyone else get all worked up about the Dexos thing.

dexos1Gen2 is...the latest standard for GM.

TT,

Respectfully, it's been a while and I couldn't remember your member name on Bitog when I started this thread. I remember speaking with you about using a 10W30 oil in Dexos oil Chevy/GMC quite a while ago. I'll be doing the same on my next OCI.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Paying GM for the 'privilege' of putting it on the bottle.

Must not be too much when you can get a jug of Dexos oil at Walmart for $14.00ish dollars......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back