Help me understand oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manufacture recommends 5w30 dino oil for year round use. My dealer uses Mobil 5w30 drive clean that has a cold weather pour point of -38 C degrees. I want to use Mobil 1 10w30 that per Mobil has a cold weather pour point of -45 C degrees. My question is, could the manufacture refuse coverage on a lube warranty claim if I use the Mobil 1 10w30 year round since they recommend 5w30 for temps under "0" degrees F? Would this fact that the pour point is lower on the Mobil 1 10w30 cover me?? Thanks

For warranty, the products must be able to MEET the factory requirements. It can often exceed, but it must meet it at the minimum. If the dealer says you must use X brand oil to stay in warranty, then they have to provide it to you free of charge. What kind of car/engine is it?

I would certainly think so. It is always best in warranty claims to do what they recomend so there can be no argument. Having to go to court to prove something cost both parties and no one usually wins.

I highly doubt the manuf. can tell or even bother to tell what viscosity oil you're using.

The M-1 10-30 will perform better cold or hot than any conv. 5/10-30 out there....no worries mate.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
For warranty, the products must be able to MEET the factory requirements. It can often exceed, but it must meet it at the minimum. If the dealer says you must use X brand oil to stay in warranty, then they have to provide it to you free of charge. What kind of car/engine is it?

I'm going to use Mobil 1 10w30 in both vehicles but both manufactures state to use 5w30 when temps are under "0" degrees F. I just think it would be hard for them to deny any warranty claim if you can prove that the flow rate is at a lower temp with the Mobil 1 10w30 then with the dino 5w30. I just don't want to deal with trying to run Mobil 1 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. I live in the midwest SW Missouri and it only gets below "0" a few days every year, if that often.
My two vehicles are 2004 Toyota 4runner with the 4.7V8, the other one is a Nissan 350Z with the 3.5 V6. Thanks for any suggestions/advise.

PS- Both Toyota and Nissan recommend 10w30 for temps above "0" degrees.

[ May 19, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Pitbull ]

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:
Why don't you run Mobil 1 5w30?

Based on the used oil analysis I have read on this site the Mobil 1 10w30 gets better results in both of the engines in the vehicles I drive. I just don't want to compromise if there is no reason.

Run the 10W30.

(1) It would be awfully difficult for them to know what kind of oil is in the sump after a couple of thousand miles.

(2) The chances of an oil related failure are so remote that they may be safely ignored.

(3) You do what you feel is best, not what somebody else tells you is best.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back