Help me pick my oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Sorry, I can't even remember the name right now. Perhaps someone else on here that has
been there can help. I'm sorry I let you down.
pat.gif

No prob Patman. I will have to phone Square One Walmart and hopefully they will know.

quote:

Originally posted by bill99gxe:

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Bill, the statement from Purolator states the L14620 leaks and not the L14610. That means I am ok.
smile.gif

Oh dear heavens......talk about completely misreading a statement.

Sorry about that.
banghead.gif

It's ok Bill. With all the numbers one can get confused. Bill, how much do you put in the crankcase when do an oil change? Some Max owners put 4, 4.25, or 4.5 quarts. Manual states 4.25 which I follow.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill, the statement from Purolator states the L14620 leaks and not the L14610. That means I am ok.
smile.gif

Oh dear heavens......talk about completely misreading a statement.

Sorry about that.
banghead.gif

It's ok Bill. With all the numbers one can get confused. Bill, how much do you put in the crankcase when do an oil change? Some Max owners put 4, 4.25, or 4.5 quarts. Manual states 4.25 which I follow.

I know for sure it's 4 quarts at least.....I *may* put a hair more in than that.

Bad thing about yearly oil changes is you forget what you did the last time.
grin.gif

Hi guys,

Can one of you help me x-ref my filter for an oversize? I'm using PureONE PL14670's. Need to match the threads and bypass pressure.

BTW, what's that about $11-17 for a PureOne?
gr_eek2.gif
They go on sale here for under $4. :gloating:
grin.gif

David

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
Hi guys,

Can one of you help me x-ref my filter for an oversize? I'm using PureONE PL14670's. Need to match the threads and bypass pressure.

David

David, I'll check that for you when I get home.

It sucks, but just about everything up here costs way more. Our dollar is worthless.
dunno.gif

Ah, got it. Didn't realize you were up North.

Thanks in advance. The purolator guys shined me on with "we only support application chart blah blah".

David

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
Ah, got it. Didn't realize you were up North.

Thanks in advance. The purolator guys shined me on with "we only support application chart blah blah".

David

To butt in for Patman, the thread should be 3/4-16 and the bypass valve setting should be 8psi with an anti-drainback valve.

According to the Baldwin catalog:

Baldwin B2 = PL30001 is the "even longer" version

O.D. = 3 3/4 (95.3)
Length = 5 9/32 (134.1)
I.Gskt = G381-A

Baldwin B233 = PL20081 is the "long" version

O.D. = 3 3/4 (95.3)
Length = 4 11/32 (110.3)
I.Gskt = G381-A

Baldwin B34 = PL14670 is the "OEM" version

O.D. = 3 3/4 (95.3)
Length = 3 31/32 (100.8)
I.Gskt = G381-A

Patman should be able to cross reference just those 3 filter numbers to see how well they "match" up with the Baldwin specs. They should be exact.

Here are the specs

30001 equals 3.78 x 5.24 with no relief valve
20081 equals 3.76 x 4.35 with 8-11psi valve
14670 equals 3.65 x 3.79 with 12-15psi valve

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Here are the specs

30001 equals 3.78 x 5.24 with no relief valve
20081 equals 3.76 x 4.35 with 8-11psi valve
14670 equals 3.65 x 3.79 with 12-15psi valve

It's interesting to see the differences between the two makers, especially with each site cross referencing the other with the 30001 B2 when one has a bypass valve and the other does not.

Seems like a significant difference just to pass over.....

I guess the 20081 is a possibility, even though it will tend to go into bypass more.

Thanks Bill, Patman. Owe you guys a beer. Guess the size difference is negligible but everything counts.

Just for grins, I asked two questions of the guy listed on Purolator's website.

1) I'd like to investigate oversize filters of similar specs to OEM. Can you provide the thread and bypass pressure specs for PureONE filter PL14670?

2) Can you provide the SAE J806 efficiency test specifications for same?

To which I received this reply:
"They will need an application of use to see if what they may recommend will still be under our warranty.

John York
Webmaster & Graphics Supervisor"

To which I reply:
"It rubs the lotion on and then puts it in the basket."
gr_eek2.gif

David

For those of you with 2001 Camrys:

The stock 95 Windstar filter replacement (at least in Bosch) has the same bypass valve setting (11-17 psi) as the stock 01 Camry filter. It is the same diameter and about 1" longer. Should fit well.

The champion labs phone rep said it is warranted unless the extra length causes damage that would not have occured on the short filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Texcowboy:
Vader, I am planning on switching, depending on what I hear from the boards about Royal Purple vs Mobil 1. Wanted to use a Mobil 1 oil filter last change, but Auto Zone was out. Settled on the FRAM X2 because it looked good as explained on the carton and the price was about the same as Mobil 1. Since I plan to change oil every 5000 miles, does it make a differnace. My driving is 98% around town.
confused.gif

TexCowboy-- IMHO the Bosch premium is almost as good as the M1 at half the price. Also, sold at Autozone and made by the same company, Champion.

Fram may not cause you trouble, but I am not encouraged by the comments of EVERYONE who has cut one open. They are very cheaply made.

quote:

quote:

qb]

The official answer from Purolator:

"The difference between the L14610 and the L14620 is in base plate configuration. The L16410 has a concave base plate. The L14620 has flat base plate. Our research has found that the L14620 can leak when installed or at any time during an oil change interval when used on applications where we catalog the Purolator L16410. Therefore, we cannot warranty any filter but the L14610 on these application.

Product management has not yet published a date for the introduction of a Pure One version of the L14610 at this time."

FYI Update on 14610/20, but first a summary overview on the topic: I believe the quote above particularly (not necessarily exclusively) refers to using the Purolator PureOne 14620 as a cross reference to their base grade 14610 Premium Plus. Often Purolator offers comparable application models for their basic PP and top grade PO. In this instance there is not a direct cross for the 14610 that is cataloged for some Maximas. A few folks (me included) who wanted to try the PO eyeballed the 14620 & thought it was the same as the 14610. I currently have it on my '01 Max and it seems to work okay.

That all said, the motive for this note is simply to pass along that I e-mailed Purolator this past week asking if they intend to produce a 14610 as a PureOne. The next day reply was 'yes' they plan to do so, but there has not been a release date set. I interpret that as: 'don't hold your breath' -- but hey, I could be wrong.

I think the PureOne is a viable consideration for moderate price, mid-level filtering rating, and a silicone anti-drainback valve. The closest commensurate competitor, including price, appears to be the Bosch, but it';s cataloged model for my Max visibly looks smaller than the 14610 or 20 and, not that it's a BIG deal, has a neoprene anti-drainback.

[ September 13, 2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
[QB... Fram may not cause you trouble, but I am not encouraged by the comments of EVERYONE who has cut one open. They are very cheaply made.[/QB]

Agreed. I do think the X2's are better though. I cut one open (Jeep 4.0L application - can't recall number) and it looked much better than their other models in materials and construction. Didn't hold a candle to M1 though, and it was the same price. It's really tough to be nice to that brand.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back