Help me pick my oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, since you have the Purolator catalogue, would it be possible to check the by-pass pressure for my filters(L14610 and L14476) and does it have an anti-drainback valve? Highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[ August 22, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Patman, since you have the Purolator catalogue, would it be possible to check the by-pass pressure for my filters(L14610 and L14476) and does it have a anti-drainback valve? Highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The PL14620 is not used anymore due to a leakage issue. Here are some other filters that will be compatible with the PL14620. The PL14610 should replace the PL14620:

> PL10193

They list a filter OD of 3.67 and filter height of 3.17, with a 3gpm flow rating, and a 15-18psi relief

> PL24458

Filter OD is 3.15, height is 4.01, 3gpm, 8-10psi

The 8-10psi bypass valve rating probably isn't optimal since Nissan OEM filters have a 14psi rating.

All filters have the connection size of M20x1.5" and all have the antidrainback valve too.

[ September 11, 2002, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: bill99gxe ]

quote:

Originally posted by bill99gxe:

quote:

Patman, since you have the Purolator catalogue, would it be possible to check the by-pass pressure for my filters(L14610 and L14476) and does it have a anti-drainback valve? Highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The PL14610 are not used anymore due to a design defect. Here are some other filters that will be compatible with the PL14610. The PL14620 replaced the PL14610:

> PL10193

They list a filter OD of 3.67 and filter height of 3.17, with a 3gpm flow rating, and a 15-18psi relief

> PL14620

Filter OD is 2.70, filter height 3.57, 3gpm, 14-18psi

> PL24458

Filter OD is 3.15, height is 4.01, 3gpm, 8-10psi

All filters have the connection size of M20x1.5" and all have the antidrainback valve too.

Thanks Bill for the heads up. I didn't know there was a design flaw in the PL14610. What was it? I am using the Premium Plus and not the PureOne as up here in Canada we can't purchase the PureOne. Would the design flaw relate to only the PureOne filter and not the Premium Plus?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The PureONE is definitely available up here! Performance Improvements sells it, and the Walmart Square One has them too (at a lot cheaper price than PI also)

I didn't know The Walmart at Square One carries them. I thought they only carry the Premium Plus filters. I never thought about Performance Improvements. I know the products they offer are not cheap on price. Roughly how much would I be looking at for a PureOne at the Walmart over at Square One?

quote:

Thanks Bill for the heads up. I didn't know there was a design flaw in the PL14610. What was it? I am using the Premium Plus and not the PureOne as up here in Canada we can't purchase the PureOne. Would the design flaw relate to only the PureOne filter and not the Premium Plus?

The official answer from Purolator:

"The difference between the L14610 and the L14620 is in base plate configuration. The L16410 has a concave base plate. The L14620 has flat base plate. Our research has found that the L14620 can leak when installed or at any time during an oil change interval when used on applications where we catalog the Purolator L16410. Therefore, we cannot warranty any filter but the L14610 on these application.

Product management has not yet published a date for the introduction of a Pure One version of the L14610 at this time."

I think someone else posted here that they paid $11 at that Walmart for their PureONE. A lot better than PI, they want $17.99!
shocked.gif

quote:

I think someone else posted here that they paid $11 at that Walmart for their PureONE. A lot better than PI, they want $17.99!
shocked.gif

Patman, PureOne going for that price is very good. CT sells the Premium Plus for that price. Off I go to Square One.
smile.gif
The booth is located inside Walmart near the auto department? Do they have a phone number we can inquiry about on the PureOne?

[ August 22, 2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

quote:

Patman, since you have the Purolator catalogue, would it be possible to check the by-pass pressure for my filters(L14610 and L14476) and does it have an anti-drainback valve? Highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No problem, will do it later tonight when I get home.

quote:

The booth is located inside Walmart near the auto department? Do they have a phone number we can inquiry about on the PureOne?

They have a number, but I don't have my receipt handy to check it. The booth they have is right in the automotive section, you can't miss it as they have the cutaways of the oil filters on the desk. I zoned right in on those suckers!
smile.gif

quote:

Both of those filters have a bypass setting of 14-18psi and both have the antidrainback valve.

The PureONE is definitely available up here! Performance Improvements sells it, and the Walmart Square One has them too (at a lot cheaper price than PI also)

quote:

Bill, the statement from Purolator states the L14620 leaks and not the L14610. That means I am ok.
smile.gif

Oh dear heavens......talk about completely misreading a statement.

Sorry about that.
banghead.gif

BTW, I remembered to look and I can't find the receipt from that store within a store at Walmart that carries the filters.
frown.gif
If you look up the number in 411 for the Square One Walmart they can probably help you out though.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Jones:
So, do we have an agreement on which oil filter is best?

Brian, hard question to answer. If price is not a problem then M1 is most likely the top 1 or 2. For the average joe that doesn't want Fram then Purolator Premium Plus is ranked right up there. Of course, these are my personal picks.

quote:

BTW, I remembered to look and I can't find the receipt from that store within a store at Walmart that carries the filters.
frown.gif
If you look up the number in 411 for the Square One Walmart they can probably help you out though.

Guess I have to. Does the store within the store have a name I can refer to? Much easier to inquiry because some Walmart employees might not even know even if they work there.

quote:

quote:

Both of those filters have a bypass setting of 14-18psi and both have the antidrainback valve.

Thanks Patman. I just purchased the Purolator Premium Plus filter for my Camry last weekend at CT. I do hope you can find the phone number for the shop that sells the PureOnes inside Walmart.

quote:

Originally posted by bill99gxe:

quote:

The official answer from Purolator:

"The difference between the L14610 and the L14620 is in base plate configuration. The L16410 has a concave base plate. The L14620 has flat base plate. Our research has found that the L14620 can leak when installed or at any time during an oil change interval when used on applications where we catalog the Purolator L16410. Therefore, we cannot warranty any filter but the L14610 on these application.

Product management has not yet published a date for the introduction of a Pure One version of the L14610 at this time."

Bill, the statement from Purolator states the L14620 leaks and not the L14610. That means I am ok.
smile.gif

DOH! I was at that Walmart on Sunday too, and totally forgot to get their number!
frown.gif

I'll send myself a reminder email (to my home address) to get that number off the receipt (I hope I still have it!)

Sorry, I can't even remember the name right now. Perhaps someone else on here that has
been there can help. I'm sorry I let you down.
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back