Help me pick my oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
Thanks!!!

Do you have info on the Motorcraft 300 or PH 43 (unless that is what you gave me)

JJ

PH43=L20081, which is 3.76x4.35 and flows 4gpm and has an 8-11psi bypass.

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Patman, possible for you to get the part #'s for my 1992 Camry 2.2L and 1999 Maxima 3.0L? Really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

92 Camry 4 cyl=L14476
99 Maxima=L14620

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
In that review the US Filtech filter gets the worst review out of the three OEM Honda filters.
confused.gif

Quick_Lude, I was also surprised to see that. But as you can see from this post, http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000013#000007 , and from what
I have seen on other sites, some people still agree that the Filtech is better than the Fram. It makes you wonder what you are buying anymore. You think that you are using the best products for your car until someone runs an oil analysis, or cuts open a filter and proves you wrong
pat.gif
. -Joe

[ August 13, 2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Patman, possible for you to get the part #'s for my 1992 Camry 2.2L and 1999 Maxima 3.0L? Really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

92 Camry 4 cyl=L14476
99 Maxima=L14620

Thanks Patman. The part #'s listed for my application are for Premium Plus filters?

Does anybody here really know about filters?

What about internal bypass valve pressure settings? Is it a parameter of the flow resistance of the filter media, or a parameter of the engine?

Is it prudent to replace an OE filter which has a 20 psid bypass with an aftermarket filter with an 8 psid bypass? Everything is different...different media material, different amount of filter media, so what's right?

I've noticed that some filter companies cross reference OE filters with high bypass settings to their filter with low bypass pressure settings. Other filter companies say to stick with their cross reference with the OE bypass values. I think it has a lot to do with the number of different filters each company chooses to produce. It's easier for them to just stock filters all with the 8 psid bypass (if any bypass). But...what's right?

Ken

[ August 13, 2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

quote:

Quick_Lude, I was also surprised to see that. But as you can see from this post, http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000013#000007 , and from what
I have seen on other sites, some people still agree that the Filtech is better than the Fram. It makes you wonder what you are buying anymore. You think that you are using the best products for your car until someone runs an oil analysis, or cuts open a filter and proves you wrong
pat.gif
. -Joe[/QB]

True, except I was informed that Honda streamlined their oil filter production and now all OEM filters are made by Fram in Canada. Can someone in the US confirm this? Anyone here from Japan?
grin.gif

[ August 14, 2002, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

smile.gif

92 Camry 4 cyl=L14476
99 Maxima=L14620

Thanks Patman. The part #'s listed for my application are for Premium Plus filters?

Yes. For the PureONE part number, just stick a P in front of it, so they would be PL14476 and
PL14620 (although not all applications have a PureONE)

Thanks Patman

I am in your debt
patriot.gif

You'll be happy to know that through your efforts the world will be a more filtered place

worshippy.gif
fruit.gif

[ August 14, 2002, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Quote, Posted by Quick_lude:
"True, except I was informed that Honda streamlined their oil filter production and now all OEM filters are made by Fram in Canada. Can someone in the US confirm this? Anyone here from Japan?"
grin.gif

I am curious of this as well. I just emailed Filtech, and will let you know as soon as I get an answer. I found out that Filtech is owned by Toyo Roki, who is one of the manufacturers of Honda oil filters in Japan. -Joe

[ August 14, 2002, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Thanks Patman for answering my questions. Patman, did you mention there is a place in Square One that sells the Purolator Premium Plus filters? What are the prices? I stopped by Canadian Tire and they can order them. Depending on the application the prices range from $9.00-$13.00.

Yes, the automotive section in Walmart at Square One has a seperate booth that sells Purolator filters, along with a few other products too I believe. I paid just over $8 (including tax) for the L14459 for my wife's car. I imagine the one for my Firebird would be more along the lines of $4 to $5 (that's what it cost me at Home Hardware) So I bet they are cheaper than CT.

Thanks Bill for the recommendation.
smile.gif
How much bigger in size is the filter? How much more oil will I need to fill the crankcase on every oil change? I put 4.25 litres for every oil change as the manual states.

Patman, I just purchased the Purolator oil filter for my Maxima today. I purchased the filter from CT. My friend at home office got me the Purolator just a little more then cost price. I payed less then $6 for the filter. Pretty good price.
smile.gif

[ August 18, 2002, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

$6 is an excellent price for that filter, as I'm sure the guy at the Walmart auto parts counter
would've charged more. I just wish Home Hardware was more prompt with restocking their
shelves, as there is one near my house that has Purolators. But I got the last 14459 they had,
and the last 30040. They still had three of the 34631s, which I'll probably start using anyways.
I may ask the manager of this Home Hardware if he'll order those filters for me. The Honda
one I bought there was a dollar cheaper than the guy at Walmart's auto counter.

By the way, I think I'll just stick with the 14459 for the Honda for now. I really need to closely
examine any longer Purolator filters first before using them.

I know that all of the opinions I have seen are negative concerning FRAM oil filters, but what about the new FRAM X2 Extended drain oil filters? From what it says on the carton they look pretty good, I just put one on my 2001 Ford F150 4.2 V6, and on my wife's 2002 Ford F150 4.6 V8. I use Mobil 1 and will be draining at 5K. I am planning on switching to Royal Purple at the next oil changes. I would appreciate your opinions.

Still has cardboard endcaps, probably still has the other low quality innards, with the exception of the filter media. Costs only slightly less than a Mobil 1.

Why switching from M1?

[ August 21, 2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Vader, I am planning on switching, depending on what I hear from the boards about Royal Purple vs Mobil 1. Wanted to use a Mobil 1 oil filter last change, but Auto Zone was out. Settled on the FRAM X2 because it looked good as explained on the carton and the price was about the same as Mobil 1. Since I plan to change oil every 5000 miles, does it make a differnace. My driving is 98% around town.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Texcowboy:
Vader, I am planning on switching, depending on what I hear from the boards about Royal Purple vs Mobil 1. Wanted to use a Mobil 1 oil filter last change, but Auto Zone was out. Settled on the FRAM X2 because it looked good as explained on the carton and the price was about the same as Mobil 1. Since I plan to change oil every 5000 miles, does it make a differnace. My driving is 98% around town.
confused.gif

With your driving conditions around town, it does.

Here's what I would use:

Ford V6: SuperTech ST3600
Ford V8: SuperTech ST2

$1.97 each at Wal-Mart. Can't beat them for the money.

You may want to consider Mobil's "European" formula 0W/40.......

Royal Purple and other baseline oil results are available in my spreadsheet.

[ September 11, 2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: bill99gxe ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back