Help me pick my oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
As I mentioned in another topic, I got the Purolator 2002 oil and air filter catalog today. Man
this thing is as big as a phone book! Cool!
smile.gif

It tells me all the specs on the oil filters, so now I get to decide which ones to use on my cars.

First up is my Firebird. There are two versions of the long oil filter I can use, one has an
anti drainback valve, the other does not. I also found out that even those these filters are
identical on the outside, their dimensions listed in the book are different, so I'm assuming the
inside media is bigger on one of them. Here are the two filters, and their dimensions:

L30040-filter OD:3.01 filter height:5.25 (I have two of these filters at home)
L34631-filter OD:3.78 filter height:5.25 (this is the one with the antidrainback)

So which would you choose? Both of these are flow rated to 5gpm by the way. Neither has
a bypass valve either (GM cars put it in the block)

For my wife's Honda, the standard filter is the L14459 and it's dimensions are 3.15 x 3.03 and
has a bypass pressure of 12-15psi. It's flow rating is 3gpm.

The one longer filter I have found so far is the L20073 which is bigger at 2.93 x 4.83, but
it's bypass pressure is only 8-10psi. I think this one would bypass a lot more often.

Or I could try the L14620 which is 2.70 x 3.57 and has a BP of 14-18psi (so it would open up
less often)

Thoughts?

I went back into the other oil filter thread where we discussed this and found Bill's
recommendation on the L24458, which is even bigger than the L14620. This one is
3.15 x 4.01, but also might bypass more often with it's 8-10psi bypass setting.

Patman,let me know which filter you go with. My wife's Integra uses the same filter as your wife's Honda. Check out the following link, there is some good info about oil filter crossovers and larger filters for Hondas:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

If you want some Filtech Honda Filters, I get them for about $5.00, I would be happy to send some to you since you can only get the Fram made Honda filters. Just let me know, Joe

[ August 12, 2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Hey Patman, could you quickly look up which model goes on a 2000 Honda Prelude? Mucho Gracias!
bowdown.gif
smile.gif

Your car takes the L14459 as well, so whatever long filter I choose will work for you too.
Actually, all late model Hondas use this same filter, it makes things a lot easier for their
parts dept I'm sure! It makes me wonder why other car makers utilize so many different
filters? When they started making oil filters they should have kept it down to 10 different sizes,
and put the bypass valve in the engines instead of relying on the filter.

From Stuart Hughes--
quote:

jjbula, it so happens that the 96-current Neons call for that same filter, Fram 3614, AC PF 53. The threads & gasket match up well on our Neons for the Fram PH 16, AC PF 13, Wix 51085, etc. This filter size is very little longer than stock, but much larger diameter("Std" oil filter dia vs the "thimble" dia of the Fr 3614). If your car can accomodate the latger dia, these should work. If you can also use a longer filter(not a good idea on our Neons!), a Fram PH 43(?) or Motorcraft FL 300 will work. (Evil Fram #'s are for cross ref only! ) If you can use a *Much* longer filter, the Motorcraft FL 1A, Fram PH 8A should work too.

Patman- If you have some spare time on your hands can you check out these larger oil filter specs vs. Fram 3614.

That would save me from ordering the catalog
bowdown.gif

Thanks,

JJ Bula

JJ, the PH3614 cross references to the L10241, the specs on this are 2.98 x 3.42 and the
bypass pressure is 12-15psi. A longer version of this is the L14670, which is 3.65 x 3.79 and
has a bypass of 12-15 also.

I'll look those up for you when I get home, I left the catalog there. It's too big to bring with me to work, like I said, it's as large as a phone book!
grin.gif

Patman,

If this was my car, this is the filter I would use: (LF3488 Fleetguard)

http://www.fleetguard.com/en/catalog/index.jhtml?searchType=CROSS&_requestid=28155 12#results

It is the "Upgrade" to the cross for the L30040. This means that it utilizes a synthetic media - in my opinion, this will allow it to flow better, and should keep you out of bypass more.

By the way, if you call 1-800-22FILTER, they will give you the performance specs. for any of their filters - they are very good about this.

Edit: I see the link does not work - type in L30040 in the "Cross Reference" field.

[ August 13, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Tommy ]

Alright Pat, you have lost me on this one? Why would you not want the one with the antidrainback valve? Does your car not experience any drainback when shut down? In the testing that I have done of oil filters I feel that this is probably the most important thing to look for in a filter. Do you not see this a problem with your application? Well my suggestion would be the L34631.

One reservation I have about the antidrainback valve is increased resistance. A few LT1 guys said they saw lower oil pressure when running the large filters with the antidrainback, compared to the large filter without one.

Plus my filter is mounted vertical, so it doesn't need an antidrainback anyways, gravity takes care of that.

But if that filter has more surface area, inside the same size canister, I'll go with that one.

I also did notice a bit lower oil pressure myself when I ran the AC Delco PF1218 vs the PF35. The PF1218 has the ADB valve, the PF35 does not. But it was only probably 2-3psi difference on the highway. I'm probably being too picky.
smile.gif

Pat, even with the vertical mount there will be a little bit of backwash going back into the sump. Granted there probably isn?t the vacuum force on an engine that you see on the test stand, but the oil lines that are upstream and located higher up off the ground than the filter are going to drain back somewhere which will cause some backwash into your sump. Will this little bit do much? Probably not but I guess that it is just a little insurance, plus it cuts down a little bit on any wear at start up. As for the oil pressure difference, I really don?t know about that, but it seems that it wouldn?t be enough to cause any problem unless your oil pump is already struggling to get the job done to begin with.

I think you would be best to go with a high by-pass psi setting. A positive displacement pump is going to give you the same flow regardless of the pressure it’s working against (sort of). So a higher by-pass setting will have more oil going through the filter.

Positive displacement, but it has an oil pressure regulating valve. If the oil flow is restricted the regulating valve will open more, part of the flow is diverted back to the sump, and less to the system.

Ken

The oil pressure relief valve setting is probably in the area of 100psi or more.

I don't see how that invalidates what I said.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
I may even be able to run the Motorcraft FL 1A, Fram PH 8A

The Fram PH8a cross references to the L30001, which is 3.78x5.24, flows 4gpm and has
a bypass setting of 8-11psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back