HELP ME PICK A USED LAWNMOWER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I would only buy a Honda. Mine is almost 30 years old and sill runs like new. Never a repair in 30 years

+1

Bought a real nice Craftsman 7.0 self propelled on CR last night. Guy had bought it in May 2011 but was moving to a townhouse (he had a home sold sign in his yard). Like new condition, $100.

I buy, fix and sell about 50 mowers a year off of Craiglist. The heaviest duty, most reliable, easiest to fix mower that you can get for a bargain used is the Toro Super Recycler. They are only sold at Toro dealers (not big box stores), they have aluminum decks and heavy duty drive components. They quite literally will last 30 years with oil changes and regular maintenance on your average yard.

By limiting yourself to front wheel drive, you are really limiting yourself to a light duty mower. There isn't a front wheel drive mower on the market that is built with heavy components. Basically, they are a step above junk.

I would only buy a Honda. Mine is almost 30 years old and sill runs like new. Never a repair in 30 years

Unfortunately, the same quality Honda mower built to the same standards as the old Honda 214 and 215 models would cost over $1000 today. Closer to $1200. They kinda do still make a similar model (the commercial), but it is pricey.

I have a lawn boy like the one above. It's awesome! However, they do need a couple of minor mods to be perfect.

As mentioned, the jetting is too lean for "surge free" operation. Also, the carbs tend to overflow when sitting, so a fuel shut off valve is a good idea.

They are not particularly well made machines when compared to today's heavy duty commercial mowers. But they work like nothing else, are incredibly light weight and very difficult to bog down in tall grass. I've only stalled mine when cutting tree roots!

This is the one I'd really like to have:
IMG_0835.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I buy, fix and sell about 50 mowers a year off of Craiglist. The heaviest duty, most reliable, easiest to fix mower that you can get for a bargain used is the Toro Super Recycler. They are only sold at Toro dealers (not big box stores), they have aluminum decks and heavy duty drive components. They quite literally will last 30 years with oil changes and regular maintenance on your average yard.

By limiting yourself to front wheel drive, you are really limiting yourself to a light duty mower. There isn't a front wheel drive mower on the market that is built with heavy components. Basically, they are a step above junk.

might pick one up sometime. Who makes the motor?

Last edited:
An old (1986-1991) two-cycle Toro with the Suzuki engine is light enough to not need self-propulsion. They also handle very well due to their light weight and rigid construction. They are a dying breed since folks don't know how to maintain them. But there is a very strong following online, so there's hope yet.

I don't know about your Toro. The reviews are mixed to good, but then again so are every other mower I looked into. I am always skecpical when I hear the work "junk" applied so freely. My experience is opinions land all over so I take them with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, the same quality Honda mower built to the same standards as the old Honda 214 and 215 models would cost over $1000 today. Closer to $1200. They kinda do still make a similar model (the commercial), but it is pricey.

You may be right, I haven't looked at the latest models. Mine is an HR214 (built like a Mercedes Benz) that I think listed at $650 back in 1988. I got mine for free when I bought a snow blower for list price at the end of the season.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I don't know about your Toro. The reviews are mixed to good, but then again so are every other mower I looked into. I am always skeptical when I hear the work "junk" applied so freely. My experience is opinions land all over so I take them with a grain of salt.

Are you sure you are looking at reviews for a Toro Super Recycler and not the lower cost Toro Recycler? Super Recycler's generally get fantastic reviews. Sometimes people complain about the personal pace drive system, but that is only because they dont know how to adjust it. It only takes a philips screw driver and less than 10 seconds to adjust the drive tension on a personal pace Toro mower. The major complaint on these mowers is not being able to pull it backwards, which is such an easy 10 second fix it makes their negative review laughable.

Also, the front wheel drive mowers all use plastic gears in the drive train. They strip out super easy. I replace about 5-7 of these gearboxes every year for customers. Rear drive mowers from Snapper, Honda, and Toro (super recycler model) use metal gears and are way more durable. That is my reference for front drive mowers being junk. Since I actually work on them, I am able to form an informed opinion, and my opinion of front wheel drive mowers is less than favorable.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I don't know about your Toro. The reviews are mixed to good, but then again so are every other mower I looked into. I am always skeptical when I hear the work "junk" applied so freely. My experience is opinions land all over so I take them with a grain of salt.

Are you sure you are looking at reviews for a Toro Super Recycler and not the lower cost Toro Recycler? Super Recycler's generally get fantastic reviews. Sometimes people complain about the personal pace drive system, but that is only because they dont know how to adjust it. It only takes a philips screw driver and less than 10 seconds to adjust the drive tension on a personal pace Toro mower. The major complaint on these mowers is not being able to pull it backwards, which is such an easy 10 second fix it makes their negative review laughable.

Also, the front wheel drive mowers all use plastic gears in the drive train. They strip out super easy. I replace about 5-7 of these gearboxes every year for customers. Rear drive mowers from Snapper, Honda, and Toro (super recycler model) use metal gears and are way more durable. That is my reference for front drive mowers being junk. Since I actually work on them, I am able to form an informed opinion, and my opinion of front wheel drive mowers is less than favorable.

The gear teeth is the weak spot on these Craftsman. Almsot avoided due to that, I guess time will tell.
The Super models are highly rated. They also go for about 600-800 new. I did see a few on CR as low as $270. Maybe I will try one down the road.

Buying a Toro from a dealer is different from buying from Home Depot or one of the other box stores slinging Toro's bottom dollar versions. Even the basic Recycler has differences (including model numbers). The company I'm working for just got their Toro dealer license (Oh, joy on my part) and now I'm going to be the one servicing all of the area Home Depot garbage under warranty and telling the customer that their Kohler XT isn't covered again. I can't wait for anything but the Toro service rate going into my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back