Help me choose and Oil - Motul or Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been using Motul 300v 5w-30 for a while now on my small fleet of cars.

The cars comprise a
Holden (Gm) 3800 3.8ltr V6 (120,000km)
Nissan 200sx 2 ltr turbo 4 cycl(4,000km)
Daewoo 2 ltr n/a 4 cycl
Daihatsu 0.6 ltr 3 cycl

I found of late that it has become increasing hard to get this oil. I

I have narrowed my choices and would like your opinions on the following.
Motul 300v 10w-40
Mobil 1 10w-30 or
Delvac 1 (this is not as easy to get as the above)

Hi.
Mobil1 10w-30 or 0w-40.
Castrol 0w-40 if you buy a three 5L box from the distributor then $45 per jug.PAO synthetic oil.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Hi,

I've been using Motul 300v 5w-30 for a while now on my small fleet of cars.

The cars comprise a
Holden (Gm) 3800 3.8ltr V6 (120,000km)
Nissan 200sx 2 ltr turbo 4 cycl(4,000km)
Daewoo 2 ltr n/a 4 cycl
Daihatsu 0.6 ltr 3 cycl

I found of late that it has become increasing hard to get this oil. I

I have narrowed my choices and would like your opinions on the following.
Motul 300v 10w-40
Mobil 1 10w-30 or
Delvac 1 (this is not as easy to get as the above)

The 300v is a great oil but is not really appropriate for the street for a few reasons. 1) You will never get to the level of abuse where this oil will actually make the difference. At 8/10's most other quality synthetics will do the same job. 2) It is not an extended drain oil. Reps from Motul have told me not to go over 3-5K miles; depending on conditions. I would go w/ the Motul E-tech 0W-40 as a good alternative to the 300V. It is manufacturer approved and has a basic similarity to the 300V. Redline is always a good choice, too. The 5W-30 has a HTHS of > 3.8 I believe. It too is an ester-based oil but is intended for street use, as I'm sure you know, w/ extended drain capabilities. Motul also has the X-cess 5W-40 which carries all the major manufacturers approvals and is a little cheaper. The Motul line is fairly cheap and readily available down under, if I'm not mistaken. That would make it my first choice for that reason alone (not the 300V). The mobil1 10W-30 is no bargain. It is relatively shear stable but is not rated for ACEA A3/B3 or other high performance specs.

Motul is not so cheap here. $46 for 2 litres. M1 is abt $75 for 5 litres. Redline is about double the Motul price. Last time I bought D1 it was about $65 for 5 litres.

I do not do extended drains. 5,000km is my usual oci which is abt 5 months driving. Mostly city and short trips. My 200sx is rarely driven and is changed 6 monthly and the oil has been going into the Daihatsu. Rarely go more than 10km per trip. I do however give it a bit of throttle. Been a little more sedate recently with the rise in fuel prices!

After some more thought maybe I'll go for the Mobil D1. Last time I looked it was similar price to the standard M1.

Was seriously considering the M1 10w-30 but it appears it has a low hths and the oil is on the thin side of a 30w. I remembered I picked the Motul 5w-30 as it was a thicker 30w.

Sorry I just can't get myself to buy castrol.

What makes it all the more frustrating is that I can get 25% off oils due to sale promotions locally from 2 stores, but neither have the oils I want.

Devlac was $69.99 last time I bought 3 jugs from Autobarn. You could also you 8100 EcoEnergy 5W-30, but it's a thinner 30W like M1 10W-30. Your only other option is 8100 5W-40, or the E-Tech 0W-40, but Autobarn charge a ridiculous $92 for this oil.
rolleyes.gif

I still think Castrol Formula R 0w-40 is worth for money.If you buy direct from the distributor you only pay $45 per 5L jug.The only thing you have to buy minimum 3 jugs.Mobil1 10w-30 should be ok for the winter and not during the summer.What do you think about mobil1 0w-40?

I ended buying the last two 10w-40 Motul 300v as it looked like I would have to try a 40w anyway. Might wait until a get some 5-30 and do some mixing as I'm short oil anyways. The 10w-40 was good buy at 25% off.

Last time I bought the Delvac 1 I bought it direct from the distributors (Penrite, I think) and it was suggested I might get a discount buying it in the company name.

The price of M1 & Motul 0w-40 are both around $90, which I think is too much!

If the Holden is like the GM 3800 Series II V-6 in my Buick, I see no real advantage to an expensive synthetic, because of your short trip situation. Why not just run a very good dino in it? Is it turbo'd or something? With all the short trips, you are never getting the oil up to temperature anyway. This is not a sludge prone engine.

We have theorized in another thread that the thinner synthetics like M1 10W-30 might even be a disadvantage in short trip or infrequently driven cars.

**** I bought Delvac1 for $45 a jug. 300V actually does alright for longer drains. Search the UOA section to see what I mean!

However I'd just use D1 in all of those vechicles. Well maybe 300V in the Nissan cos its worth it.

I went and bought 2x2litres of the 10w-40 300v at Autobarn at 25% off $39.99 per bottle. They will have the 5w-30 back in stock but not at a discount and at a higher price.

There is a new Repco in town and I have a 25% discount card for it as well. And I did see that they have the 10w-40 as well. They do not however stock the 5w-30 and can't get it it.

I did decide that the M1 10-30 probably wasn't for me. Maybe in the Daewoo.

I would go with the Mobil 1 10w-30. Best all around oil on the market for normal use. If you want the A3 rating Mobil 1 has it in the new 10w-40 Extended performance. Hope you get it in Australia. If I where racing again this is what I would use in a high performance engine. HTHS rating is 3.9. UOAs will tell you for sure how good it is in your applications.

I did buy some M1 10w-30 on sale for the Daewoo. Unfortunately we do not have the EP versions of M1. Not sure if they will come here at all. The SS versions took some time before they came downunder.

There isn't a lot of difference in price between the M1 10w-30 and Motul oils. Both fairly dear. The only M1 that is somewhere near reasonably priced is the M1 5w050. And it is still way above the Valvoline and Castrol Magnatec type oils. More than double the price.

Mobil 1 can be mixed thicker/thinner to meet the more specific needs of the various cars. Get some 10w-30 and some 15w-50 and go to town.

I'm currently buying D1 for $190.00/20 litres, and $49.00/5 litres.
quote:

.......15w-50 and go to town

not quite sure why, but M1 15W-50 is relatively hard to come by here. 5W-50 is everywhere, yet we don't really need it...
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
I'm currently buying D1 for $190.00/20 litres, and $49.00/5 litres.
quote:

.......15w-50 and go to town

not quite sure why, but M1 15W-50 is relatively hard to come by here. 5W-50 is everywhere, yet we don't really need it...
dunno.gif

I did think the same, but then the 5w-50 would probably be a better mixer anyway.

My thoughts had been that the D1 was a little on the heavy side, but the 10w-30 was on the thin side, so I suppose some 10w-30 with a 1/4 to 1/2 5w-50 may be a solution.

D1 is a different formulation than the SuperSyn line, which Mobil states it's ok to blend, so, I'd say stick with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back