Help installing Linux Mint 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to install Linux Mint 10 (standard version) on one of my old desktops to experiment a bit, and haven't managed to get into the installation stage just yet. I boot from the DVD ISO I burned last night, and everything loads fast until I get the following error:

Quote:
[4.436044] [] error_code+0x73/0x78

The caps lock then keeps flashing and the system is not responsive, unless I hit the rest button. Here's the hardware configuration on this machine:

Quote:
System Model
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)

Main Circuit Board
Board: Springdale-G
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 01/11/2008

Processor
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Memory Modules
632 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 128 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty

Drives
80.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
70.25 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS CRW-5232AS [Optical drive]
HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-2164D USB Device [Optical drive]
IDE DVD-ROM 16X [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HUAWEI SD Storage USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
SAMSUNG SP0802N [Hard drive] (80.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S00JJ30X104426, rev TK100-24,
SMART Status: Healthy

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers (2x)
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)

Bus Adaptors
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

Display
Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor]

Multimedia
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Sound Blaster 5.1
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Communications
Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5663
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Other Devices
USB Human Interface Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device (3x)
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (5x)

Any idea if this is hardware related, as in something not being compatible with Linux? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I want to install Linux Mint 10 (standard version) on one of my old desktops to experiment a bit, and haven't managed to get into the installation stage just yet. I boot from the DVD ISO I burned last night, and everything loads fast until I get the following error:

My first recommendation would be to download another image and check the MD5. Since you currently have Windows installed, I have no idea how to verify the MD5 on Windows. Someone else will have to answer that.

If all is well, burn it again. I've had bad burns create the same symptoms you described. As far as hardware goes, it looks okay, as in you don't have something ridiculously dated.

Just a thought, I notice that you have different memory sticks. A 128 and a 512. Sometimes that can cause problems. Mine would freeze every so often until I removed one of the sticks. I had upgraded to 1 gb of memory and kept my 512 stick, so I could have 1 1/2 gb of memory. It would work fine for a while then freeze, then work again. When I removed the 512 stick, no problems. Put it back in and it would freeze again.

I'd make sure first that the right .iso was downloaded for your processor architecture. In your case, it'd be 32 bit.

If your computer had been sitting around collecting dust for some time, it might be helpful to simply unplug and re-plug the ribbon cables and even re-seat the RAM sticks, etc... Anything that would mitigate against excessive dust.

It's always helpful to check the image when you download it (using MD5) and see if your burning application can verify the burned data when you make your disk.

I'd also yank the 128MB stick of RAM for now, just in case.

Check the linux mint page.

Quote:

As re-spin of the LMDE 201012 32-bit ISO was made available under the name “201101″. The new ISO comes with an up-to-date live kernel which addresses the following issues: “Black screen of death”, live session hanging with a black screen. Installer hanging while configuring Grub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back