Optional Ports:
IEEE 1394 Adapter with Cable 1394A

Sound:
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition SBAUDGY

Warranty & Service:
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service Q1YOS

Network Interface:
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet INT

This goes for about $780 with free shipping.

In addition, I will buy 2 more GB of RAM and a dedicated video card.

This PC would be mainly used for office apps (Word, Excel), Internet browsing and some audio/video compression.

Any suggestions as to what you would change?

Originally Posted By: sanitarium16
Needs more memory!!! 2GBs AT LEAST with Vista

I you read the post, he says that he is going to buy that separately. You can get memory cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks all. I ended up ordering the Vostro 200, however not the slim tower but a mini tower. In the same config, it ended up being about $670 with free shipping. The mini-tower also has a bigger power supply (although still only 300W) and a few extra expansion slots.

I'm still unsure whether I did the right thing by getting it with Vista. I guess I'll use it for a while and decide if I want to downgrade to XP (if Dells even allows that) to gain better performance. I don't really care much for all that eye candy that Vista offers.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
w/quad core CPU's.

Some of the CPU test results on Tom's Hardware show interesting results. In some tests, such as audio and/or video compression, Core 2 Duo E8200 delivered better performance than Core 2 Quad Q6600. I'm wondering if the application writers haven't figured out how to utilize those 4-core CPUs to their full potential...

QP, you raise a good point. Generally, the faster dual core chips will outperform on operations requiring raw power. For video processing, the quad cores are the way to go.

With overclocking, the G0 stepping (not the B3 stepping) on the 2.4 quads can achieve the panacea of both worlds.

One other question: what video card would you guys recommend for up to about $100 (on line)? I believe Vostro 200 takes PCI Express x16 cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back