HELP! ECHO Leaf Blower Octane Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Evidently you didn't read my post that you quoted. The answer is right there.

Not only have I seen that first hand in my business, but it has been confirmed many times through the station owners as well. The fact is that they just don't move as much premium fuel as the other two, therefore there is a chance that you could be buying ( and paying a premium for ) less fresh gasoline.

BTW, Stihl also recommends 89 octane gas, it's right in their manuals.

I read it, and I re-read it. It still doesn't validate the theory that there are stocks of premium grade gasoline going bad in fuel station tanks.

The tanks aren't that large in the first place. Stations typically receive multiple deliveries a week. Even if consumption numbers were reduced to a quarter of what they were previously, it's unlikely it would amount to having the tank refilled less than once-a-week. That's assuming that a station wouldn't have the tanks topped-up with each delivery, instead waiting until the tank was nearly empty before buying a whole tankful. Such a practice would be far from common. Even at a week old, gasoline is far from being on the path to ruin.

Okay, so Stihl is in the 89-octane league with Echo. That still makes a mid-grade fuel requirement a rarity, and the legitimate market volume for it very, very small. Something that can't be said for premium-grade fuel, which is called for in a significant portion of the market. That's not to deny that there are plenty of people who buy mid-grade. We use to refer to them as "cheapskate treaters", compared to those who went the extra dime and "treated" their car to unnecessary premium-grade.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Evidently you didn't read my post that you quoted. The answer is right there.

Not only have I seen that first hand in my business, but it has been confirmed many times through the station owners as well. The fact is that they just don't move as much premium fuel as the other two, therefore there is a chance that you could be buying ( and paying a premium for ) less fresh gasoline.

BTW, Stihl also recommends 89 octane gas, it's right in their manuals.

I read it, and I re-read it. It still doesn't validate the theory that there are stocks of premium grade gasoline going bad in fuel station tanks.

The tanks aren't that large in the first place. Stations typically receive multiple deliveries a week. Even if consumption numbers were reduced to a quarter of what they were previously, it's unlikely it would amount to having the tank refilled less than once-a-week. That's assuming that a station wouldn't have the tanks topped-up with each delivery, instead waiting until the tank was nearly empty before buying a whole tankful. Such a practice would be far from common. Even at a week old, gasoline is far from being on the path to ruin.

Okay, so Stihl is in the 89-octane league with Echo. That still makes a mid-grade fuel requirement a rarity, and the legitimate market volume for it very, very small. Something that can't be said for premium-grade fuel, which is called for in a significant portion of the market. That's not to deny that there are plenty of people who buy mid-grade. We use to refer to them as "cheapskate treaters", compared to those who went the extra dime and "treated" their car to unnecessary premium-grade.

Dude, you're making me laugh here. Where did I say there were "stocks of premium grade gasoline going bad in fuel station tanks"? Pretty convienient to just make stuff up when arguing with someone, eh?

I said there was a CHANCE of that happening, and that I've seen it myself in my business. Especially as soon as the price of gas hits a certain high point, the premium sales drop like a rock. NOBODY BUYS IT. Are you getting that?

I suggest you go find a subject to write about that you have a little knowledge in, as it's clear you have none about this one.

Dude, you're making me laugh here. Where did I say there were "stocks of premium grade gasoline going bad in fuel station tanks"? Pretty convienient to just make stuff up when arguing with someone, eh?

I said there was a CHANCE of that happening, and that I've seen it myself in my business. Especially as soon as the price of gas hits a certain high point, the premium sales drop like a rock. NOBODY BUYS IT. Are you getting that?

I suggest you go find a subject to write about that you have a little knowledge in, as it's clear you have none about this one.

When you suggest that premium gasoline is degraded, simply due to reduced delivery volumes, you are implying that the fuel is going bad. In fact, you even acknowledge it with the remark, "I said there was a CHANCE of that happening...". Either that, or you're saying that you haven't a clue as to the validity of the claim but will suggest it anyhow. That's hardly "making stuff up".

If you've had problems with fuel I'd suggest taking a look at your supplier's practices, rather than assuming that the fuel itself is to blame. When issues arise it can almost always be traced to problems with the handling of the product.

If you think "NOBODY" is buying premium, you need to get out more. Do you really think that those who own premium-fueled vehicles are parking them because the price has gone up? If so, you need to cut back on whatever it is you've been smoking and/or drinking. Reality doesn't back up your perception. The streets are filled with vehicles that call for premium-grade gasoline.

Since you seem to fancy yourself as an expert in the petrochemical business, perhaps you could explain how your assertion that premium doesn't sell is backed up by industry figures showing premium-grade gasoline consumption runs at nearly double that of mid-grade?

BTW, I was just questioning the basis for your assertion. If it strikes your fancy to consider it an argument, knock yourself out.

Thanks again. Checked the warranty documentation and it's right there in black and white - 89 octane minimum. So, it's coming out of the ECHO and into my Honda HRM215 lawnmower. That's a more palatable alternative to me than putting it into my car. If it gunks anything up in the mower, I can pull the carb and clean it in about 10 minutes.

Lesson learned...

OP, that's probably the smart thing to do for your peace of mind.

RS, I need to resign myself to the fact that I can't educate you.

Cheers
cheers3.gif

RS, I need to resign myself to the fact that I can't educate you.

Cheers
cheers3.gif

Before you attempt to "educate" someone, you should first ensure you have a clue what you're talking about.

Let's take a look at some facts, shall we? These are the mid-grade and premium gasoline sales volumes for the last six reported months, as tracked by the Energy Information Administration and released on the 22nd...

Prime Supplier Sales Volumes
All figures in 1,000 gallon units, per day

------------- Mid-grade ---- Premium ---
Nov '08 ---- 16,491.1 ----- 31,416.7 --- Sales of Premium 1.905 times that of Mid-grade
Dec '08
---- 17,190.1 ----- 33,378.5 --- Sales of Premium 1.941 times that of Mid-grade
Jan '09
---- 16,088.8 ----- 30,831.9 --- Sales of Premium 1.916 times that of Mid-grade
Feb '09
---- 16,748.0 ----- 31,771.0 --- Sales of Premium 1.897 times that of Mid-grade
Mar '09
---- 16,583.3 ----- 32,765.1 --- Sales of Premium 1.975 times that of Mid-grade
Apr '09
---- 17,336.6 ----- 33,676.2 --- Sales of Premium 1.942 times that of Mid-grade

To save a bunch of bull about those figures not really addressing your statement, "...as soon as the price of gas hits a certain high point, the premium sales drop like a rock. NOBODY BUYS IT. Are you getting that?", I'll also cover the three months with the highest recorded average monthly prices for premium, ever. Those would be June, July and August of 2008, with average prices per gallon of 428.4, 429.8 and 402.2, respectively...

Prime Supplier Sales Volumes
All figures in 1,000 gallon units, per day

------------- Mid-grade ---- Premium ---
Jun '08 ---- 18,282.1 ----- 28,532.9 --- Sales of Premium 1.560 times that of Mid-grade
Jul '08
----- 18,191.0 ----- 29,144.2 --- Sales of Premium 1.602 times that of Mid-grade
Aug '08
---- 17,701.8 ----- 30,559.3 --- Sales of Premium 1.726 times that of Mid-grade

These figures show that even at the highest prices in US history, premium still far outsold mid-grade gasoline. All of which flies in the face of your supposition that premium gasoline doesn't sell when prices rise, and that it isn't selling now. It seems that your "NOBODY" buys an awful lot of the stuff, premium gasoline sold to the tune of more than 29 million gallons a day at the highest average price in history!

Are you getting this?

If you question my figures, feel free to disprove them. I'll even point you in the direction to do so... EIA - Petroleum Data, Reports, Analysis, Surveys

Go ahead, dazzle us all with this knowledge you proclaim to have...

10.gif

Well, I live in the real world, and my real world experiences tell me that this does happen, and more frequently that one might think. You can copy and paste anything you want, that's not going to change what I have seen first hand.

I love it when someone has no working knowledge of something except what they gleaned from the internet. I guess I can't blame you for that, cuz that's all you've got to work with.

I never claimed to "have all this knowledge" as you say, all I claimed to know is what I have seen around me, and was just passing that info along to others so they might benefit from it.

Take care~

Well, I live in the real world, and my real world experiences tell me that this does happen, and more frequently that one might think. You can copy and paste anything you want, that's not going to change what I have seen first hand.

I love it when someone has no working knowledge of something except what they gleaned from the internet. I guess I can't blame you for that, cuz that's all you've got to work with.

I never claimed to "have all this knowledge" as you say, all I claimed to know is what I have seen around me, and was just passing that info along to others so they might benefit from it.

Take care~

Wow, the all you've got are facts rebuttal.

Last time I checked, the gasoline volumes listed were sold "in the real world".

You advised that premium gasoline should be avoided because it isn't selling and therefor wouldn't be as fresh. The facts show this supposition to be blatantly false. If the station you deal with has this atypical sales pattern perhaps you should consider doing business elsewhere?

As for the "no working knowledge" snipe, I suppose I should have pointed out that I once worked for Shell Oil Co. and am currently the proprietor of a transport firm. Fuel supplies and costing are an everyday prerequisite in my trade.

I can't blame you though. All you did was make an unsubstantiated claim with no factual basis...

smirk2.gif

Thank you, good sirs!

I'll be performing here on a regular schedule. Usually confined to days that end in the letter "Y"...

LOL.gif

I have the 251 as well- knew it was going tobe winner before it even started: just pulling the cord to start it, leaves were flying all over the place.

I use 87 in mine, syn 2 cycle oil, and no issue.

BTW, th 2 oz of oil that comes with the unit is semi-syn

Steve

Yeah, I'm very happy with mine. I've been putting the 87 mix in my mower and it doesn't smoke or even miss a beat!

On a side note: The curved nozzle on the PB-255 looks like it fits the PB-251 and is only about $8. Good for another 15mph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back