Help Decide Which Winter Tires for '18 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lived on the Ohio michigan border all my life and have never owned a set of snow tires. Maybe I'm missing out, but there was no way my tight wad dad was buying them so you learned to drive. Often times as a broke kid with bald tires and rear wheel drive trucks. I just buy a decent AS tire and call it a day.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I've lived on the Ohio michigan border all my life and have never owned a set of snow tires. Maybe I'm missing out, but there was no way my tight wad dad was buying them so you learned to drive. Often times as a broke kid with bald tires and rear wheel drive trucks. I just buy a decent AS tire and call it a day.

You are missing out.

Like a guy that wears sneakers year ‘round and doesn't see why anyone needs boots.

Snow tires can have up to twice the traction of all season tires, dramatically reducing stopping distance, and improving your safety.

It costs money to buy them, sure, but then you're saving wear on your all seasons while the snows are on the car. You're amortizing the wear over eight tires instead of four, and honestly:

The cost increase is modest.

The safety/performance increase is huge.

I used to see crashed SUVs and Subaru's all the time when I lived in Stowe, VT.

All. The. Time.

Saw three wrecked Subaru's on my road* in ONE DAY. Every one of these crashed cars had two things in common: 1. out of state plates. 2. all season tires.

The Vermonters would be driving all kinds of cars, from clapped out, rusty Hondas, to new trucks. Rarely saw a crashed Vermont car. Because nearly every Vermonter had four snow tires on their vehicle, regardless of type, size, or drive system.

I gave a ride up the road to the driver of one of those wrecked Subaru's. As we made our way up the road (that was too much for his Subaru) in my 1985 RWD Volvo wagon, he marveled at how well it climbed the icy hill. "I didn't know these old Volvo's were AWD" he said.

"They're not", I said.

*Birch Hill Road, Stowe, VT. The wrecks were all from cars going down the hill in icy, snowy conditions, and on the S-turn near the bottom they lost control. AWD doesn't help you stop...or turn...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14

You are missing out.

Like a guy that wears sneakers year ‘round and doesn't see why anyone needs boots.

Snow tires can have up to twice the traction of all season tires, dramatically reducing stopping distance, and improving your safety.

It costs money to buy them, sure, but then you're saving wear on your all seasons while the snows are on the car. You're amortizing the wear over eight tires instead of four, and honestly:

All. The. Time.

Saw three wrecked Subaru's on my road* in ONE DAY. Every one of these crashed cars had two things in common: 1. out of state plates. 2. all season tires.

The Vermonters would be driving all kinds of cars, from clapped out, rusty Hondas, to new trucks. Rarely saw a crashed Vermont car. Because nearly every Vermonter had four snow tires on their vehicle, regardless of type, size, or drive system.

I gave a ride up the road to the driver of one of those wrecked Subaru's. As we made our way up the road (that was too much for his Subaru) in my 1985 RWD Volvo wagon, he marveled at how well it climbed the icy hill. "I didn't know these old Volvo's were AWD" he said.

"They're not", I said.

*Birch Hill Road, Stowe, VT. The wrecks were all from cars going down the hill in icy, snowy conditions, and on the S-turn near the bottom they lost control. AWD doesn't help you stop...or turn...

Like I always say, AWD just puts you further into the ditch.

I live in Northern Illinois. two weeks ago I took the Costco ad $150 off of tires and installation to discount tires.
They matched it with no issues,plus I got 15% back (Black Friday deal)
Final price $385-$58= $327

Today only(12/25/19)Costco deal is $150 off of a set of Bridgestone tires.

All. The. Time.

I agree on the snow tires, though I'd include the new all weather tires with 3PMS as good enough. There are lots of Subarus in Alaska, and they AREN'T the ones in ditches on the slippery days here. Lots of big SUVs and trucks in ditches though.

You are missing out.

All. The. Time.

"They're not", I said.

Did they all have out of state plates?

Just ordered 4 Continental VikingContact7 @ $118.99/ea from Tire Rack. There's a $70 mail in rebate right now on them.

Just FYI, if you're needing tires and you're near one of their distribution centers, or their HQ in South Bend, you can save $40. Unfortunately I'm not near one of them.

It did irritate me a bit that they charged me $5 Tennessee tire disposal fee. Oh, and they charged me tax also. But it doesn't seem like many places carry this tire. Especially down here in the South.

Anyway, I'll feel a lot better with the fiancée on these when she drives up to see family in Northern Indiana and Michigan in bad weather this winter.

I'll post up a review when we get the chance to test them out.

Thanks for everyone's contributions and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back