Help cull my fleet

Recently acquired a 2017 Accord, bringing my household vehicle count up to 5 (2 drivers). Looking to cut that number to 3.

Lets' start with the obvious keepers:
2017 Accord, 64k miles. Best car in the fleet by far.
2004 BMW X5 4.4i: 272k miles. My winter beater/Home Depot runner/ hobby car. Hoping to get to 300k before I consider moving on.

Obviously leaving is my barely-running and rusted out 1994 530i. Will be scrapped soon.

That leaves 2 vehicles as candidates for the last spot.
2012 Kia Forte 97k miles: Owned from new, in the middle of putting a new fuel tank in it due to rust (steel fuel tank in the salt belt). That's the first non-maintenance issue so far with this vehicle. Couple open recalls need to be addressed, including the anti-theft "update".
2009 Honda Accord 4 cyl 209k miles: Needs VTC actuator, would probably do timing chain while in there. Not original owner, but been in family from new. Losing a fair amount of oil between changes, but for the sake of this exercise, let's assume it's a leak and not burning (no tailpipe smoke). Will obviously diagnose that issue before committing.

Typically, I'd automatically take the car with lower miles. However, the disparity in perceived quality between the two brands gives me pause. I do 100% of maintenance and repairs and am trying to minimize the amount of time I spend wrenching on things that aren't the X5. Primary use for this 3rd vehicle would be 20 miles of in-town commuting per day. Insurance is slightly less expensive on the Honda, but it's close enough to be considered immaterial.

Which vehicle would you keep and why?

The lower miles an newer years is normally a good thing. The Hyundai/Kia motors well maybe not always but at least still get covered under extended warranty.

Which do you like more? For the Honda VTC look up Spring-Start.com. You might be able to just replace the spring in it. Many videos out there on how it works and the issues.

Run some HPL EC30 in them to clean up. Maybe the piston soaks as well as PCV's. All documented well here at BITOG and other places.

Then you can switch to better cleaning oil like full HPL. Maybe try the Valvoline Restore and Protect, use it for the top offs for now.

Knock on wood my daughters 2.4L '08 CRV with 235k doesn't really burn any. link to the pictures in HPL cleaner thread. HPL engine cleaner.

After you figure out what, find a decent place that does Fluid Film or Woolwax and get it sprayed underneath.

Unless you have a parking problem, why the desire to unload either of them? On the other hand, I'd get rid of both and replace with something more fun.
Eliminating redundancy, primarily. Don't have a need for 3 FWD appliance sedans.

Constrained by space to 3 vehicles on my property, anything above that would have to be street parked.

Get rid of the Accord - timing chain and actuator work, plus large oil burning/leak issue and high miles?
That year of Kia Forte engine is rock solid and will go for miles, replace tank, rustproof, and motor on.

Which would you rather add another 100k to, the 200k Honda or the 100k Kia? To me the Honda is more car, it's not just the make, it's a larger sedan class and with it has better engineering and durability.

Imagine both in seven more years. Look for 2005 Kias and 2002 Hondas still on the road and see what shape they're in.

Back