Help! 454 OMG. Talk about a catastrophic event. This one is going blow your minds. i removed oil filter sandwich adapter...

MIND BLOWN! Oil pump removed by cutting hole in oil pan and bending tab on scraper, oil pump bench tested and working. I am now brainstorming next move.
Removed oil filter.
What are you guys thinking about to explore what the blockage could be?

Attachments

• CE455185-1244-4FF6-BE8F-D06DE6314A47.jpeg
    CE455185-1244-4FF6-BE8F-D06DE6314A47.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 48
  • CAC08BF1-8B8F-4051-A04B-6104A738AA7D.jpeg
    CAC08BF1-8B8F-4051-A04B-6104A738AA7D.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 22741464-C0BE-41EE-88A9-8CEE61ED5E5D.jpeg
    22741464-C0BE-41EE-88A9-8CEE61ED5E5D.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 36AFCA95-921A-49CB-BFCA-322E1317A382.jpeg
    36AFCA95-921A-49CB-BFCA-322E1317A382.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 48
Was there oil at the filter pad when you ran it with the sandwich removed as mentioned a number of times?
Only observed oil in center of filter when adapter was blocked off at inlet and outlet. Filer completely dry after last ignition and priming

UPDATE:
Air injected into oil pump port on maincap easily comes out at oil filter feed port on block.

On the bench, air also moves through the oil cooler adapter.

So blockage must be in the block galley leading from the filter. Any ideas on how to locate that blockage?

QUESTION! Some believe plug in picture migrated under pressure past far filter path creating blockage to block. So according to picture i will post of diagram, if i blow air from oil pump side and plug nearest filter feed with my finger. If no air comes out of block then i can determine if plug has migrated past second path port. Correct?

Attachments

• EC7434DB-B933-447D-A173-6E682DFFC8AC.png
    EC7434DB-B933-447D-A173-6E682DFFC8AC.png
    339 KB · Views: 12
Update: so i blew air into main cap oil pump feed, blocked first path with my finger and air think i felt air come out of far filter path to block. What does this mean? According to diagram it means there is no plug. Sooo zero oil pressure is from a blockage past the two filter paths. What on earth could have caused the blockage if not a migrated plug or bearing ball as used in later builds?

Attachments

• AC1C08C7-B2D9-4B27-8711-DBD328F2B0D4.png
    AC1C08C7-B2D9-4B27-8711-DBD328F2B0D4.png
    339 KB · Views: 10
I'm a Mopar guy - so take this with a grain of salt - but just gonna share a couple thoughts. What if your initial problem was caused by the blocked off adapter, and your current problems are caused by no plug (as in the builder forget to ever install the plug)? Your attachment says that failing to replace the plug would cause erratic oil pressure and no flow through the filter, which is what you've got...

Update:
Pump works in bucket with priming tool.
Adapter is clear.

Air pressure test results:
No blockage from pump to filter.
No blockage from skirt oil galley pressure port to filter.

No changes to engine have been made since last zero pressure reading. Seems ive reached a dead end.
Any more ideas out there?

I'm a Mopar guy - so take this with a grain of salt - but just gonna share a couple thoughts. What if your initial problem was caused by the blocked off adapter, and your current problems are caused by no plug (as in the builder forget to ever install the plug)? Your attachment says that failing to replace the plug would cause erratic oil pressure and no flow through the filter, which is what you've got...
Just found that plug is present from a second, better quality air pressure test

Update:
Pump works in bucket with priming tool.
Adapter is clear.

Air pressure test results:
No blockage from pump to filter.
No blockage from skirt oil galley pressure port to filter.

No changes to engine have been made since last zero pressure reading. Seems ive reached a dead end.
Any more ideas out there?
No ideas for you other than you are turning this into a slow motion train wreck on fire.

On the off chance zero pressure was an anomaly or something that mysteriously corrected itself, gonna put it all back together and see if the fault condition reproduces.
BTW cutting open the oil pan to replace oil pumps is an old technique i read about in a racing journal 20 years ago. A sandwich style plate- gasket- panel to close it up does the trick.

Keep you posted.

Lol yes. Love it.

raise your hand if you can change out your oil pump in a random parking lot or side of the road in less than an hour and drive away.
👋👋👋👋👋👋

Back