Oiling failure ( this one may stump you)454//468--mark iv bbc

454 (468)

Gen iv block

Unknown builder

moroso 22162 oil pump not welded p/u tube

Average oil pressure 25 psi. No leaks, engine runs great. Added oil cooler lines to an existing sandwich adapter( inlet and outlet previously plugged).

During leak test in driveway, Oil cooler line ruptured, lost all oil, engine ran 30 seconds until I turned off ignition.

Repaired line, new oil 5w30, surprise 45 psi oil pressure reading,,,louder than normal noise from top end, turned off ignition.

Removed cooler lines from sandwich adapter, removed adapter to plug inlet and outlet. Reinstalled adapter with new oil filter of same brand. Turned on motor ZERO OIL PRESSURE.

Removed distributor, tried to prime pump with drill, very difficult to spin, and when finger let off drill switch, pump counter spun a half turn of the drill. Like a twisted rubber band. Ran primer in reverse thinking i could dislodge a jam in the pick up screen. Made gurgling sounds. No affect clockwise rotations were labored and few until bound up and forced a counter spin.
  • My theory is the galley downstream of the pump is blocked. How could this happen?

Attachments

• 74DAB5FC-6EA5-48CA-B7F4-EB382C54A678.jpg
    74DAB5FC-6EA5-48CA-B7F4-EB382C54A678.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 96
  • E54A7245-CFD9-444E-A724-F4CEA937A77C.jpeg
    E54A7245-CFD9-444E-A724-F4CEA937A77C.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I read about this condition somewhere, what are the repair options. And what on Earth could cause this on a pump with less than an hour of total run time on an engine that never exceeded 3k rpm?

And what on Earth could cause this on a pump with less than an hour of total run time on an engine that never exceeded 3k rpm?

Chi-Na

Remove and test the unit with a container of old oil into an empty can. I made an oil transfer pump for my used oil shop heater from a Ford 302 pump. It was pretty quick in operation.

Take the adapter off and install oil filter directly to the block. My guess is something isn't right with the oil filter adapter. Blowing a hose and then oil pump dead heads is the clue.
OMG. Talk about a catastrophic event. This one is going blow your minds.

i removed oil filter sandwich adapter and discovered that the small o-ring at the top was MISSING. I included a pic of a similar one. I think when I blocked off the inlet and outlet ports to the cooler on the adapter that the oil forced its way through the small oring and sucked or pushed it into the block. So where would it have traveled and could that be in the pump? ***?

talk about a huge mistake. What could fix this besides removing oil pump???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 34
Back