Help! 454 OMG. Talk about a catastrophic event. This one is going blow your minds. i removed oil filter sandwich adapter...

OMG. Talk about a catastrophic event. This one is going blow your minds.

i removed oil filter sandwich adapter and discovered that the small o-ring at the top was MISSING. I included a pic of a similar one. I think when I blocked off the inlet and outlet ports to the cooler on the adapter that the oil forced its way through the small oring and sucked or pushed it into the block. So where would it have traveled and could that be in the pump? ***?

talk about a huge mistake. What could fix this besides removing oil pump???

454 gen iv moroso higg volume pump, zero oil pressure, new filter dry after using priming tool. Hard to spin pump with tool, actually reverses drill half turn when finger off switch. Running pump in reverse makes gurgling sounds in pan.

Attachments

• E3646E5C-E92D-4B17-B246-04599BC4E3BA.jpeg
    E3646E5C-E92D-4B17-B246-04599BC4E3BA.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 100
Sounds like the pump has something it it or the intake screen has plugged. Why remove the sandwich? Is cooler bad.

I wonder if your plate didn't have a relief valve or had a malfunctioning relief valve. In that case you'd need to loop the inlet and outlet instead of blocking them, correct?

e: nevermind, saw in your other post they were plugged before

Last edited:
This is the second thread on this same subject.

From the earlier post .
"Removed distributor, tried to prime pump with drill, very difficult to spin, and when finger let off drill switch, pump counter spun a half turn of the drill. Like a twisted rubber band. Ran primer in reverse thinking i could dislodge a jam in the pick up screen. Made gurgling sounds. No affect clockwise rotations were labored and few until bound up and forced a counter spin."

I would say the missing Oring is what is jamming the oil pump.

Yes, so my options appear to be
1. Raise motor enough to remove oil pan, replace oil pump.
2. Maybe use air pressure blast through pressure gauge port on block, to dislodge oring
3. Completely disassemble motor and clean.

what else?

what about a chemical that could break down oring?

I think when I blocked off the inlet and outlet ports to the cooler on the adapter that the oil forced its way through the small oring and sucked or pushed it into the block.

Generally you can't just block them, you would have to loop them.

The adapter is to run the oil through the cooler, so if you block that path, - no oil.

No answer for the o-ring though.

Need to pull the pump apart and fish the o-ring out of it, OR just let it crank, cut up the o-ring and send it into the filter. O-ring material vs metal pump gears? Pump will win. Only caveat is this - if it’s driven by the tube from the distributor, it’s possible the tube won’t be up for the task. (I’m not familiar with the 454 or where the limits are on the design).

-m

Yes I reposted the topic because For some reason, i guess i was tired. Im realizing that chemical removal of oring is not a good idea. Im wondering if air pressure through the sensor port will help.

Attachments

• E57629D0-DDCB-496C-A288-970A59A91934.jpg
    E57629D0-DDCB-496C-A288-970A59A91934.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30
Thanks everyone. So heres the deal. Pulling this motor is not an option for me. I face losing the car as it is for pennies on the dollar, or just maybe playing a longshot at figuring this out.

heres where I need help....cause im still speculating on the oring being the culprit. It may be a stuck relief valve.

1. If oring is in the block, where is it?
a) i am reading zero oil pressure
b) pump binds and counter spins after clockwise rotations when priming but not in reverse so possibly pressure is building downstream of pump binding the pump gears or its penetrated the pickup screen which i cant see happening.

Attachments

• 00EE3AC0-FEB2-4A06-B188-76E51620AEFC.jpg
    00EE3AC0-FEB2-4A06-B188-76E51620AEFC.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
I looked at the other thread too.

Can you elaborate on how the oil cooler is blocked off? There is a loop in the photo in the other tread. But you mention taking the adapter off to plug it. Again you cannot simply plug the holes in most cases because the sandwich adapter has no other path for the oil to reach the engine.

Also just to verify: Everything was fine until you tried to add the cooler lines, the line ruptured (define ruptured? Did you use the wrong type of line) however you did se 20 psi more pressure with the oil cooler in the system?

What is the history on this car? We are talking about a car right, because your picture is from "Iboats"... I can't read the whole parts list you posted, was there something in particular you were trying to call our attention to?

I don't see how the o-ring would work its way back to the pump, if the o ring is in fact clogging in the oiling system it nearly has to be in the main oil gallery after the sandwich adapter. (or perhaps in the cooler)

Does this sandwich adapter have any part numbers or manufacturer identification on it?

I concur with mounting the filter directly to the engine.

Not that this matters… Are you 100% sure there was an o ring? FWIT the oil filter/bypass adapter that bolts to the block (factory) is a machined surface and doesn’t have an o ring.

Back