Thinking about removing factory oil cooler from OBS Ford F250

So I've got a nineties F250 that I'm thinking about removing the factory oil cooler from. It's got the 5.8l small block and has a water to oil heat exchanger that I think came as part of a towing package. A towing package on this truck just seems kind of silly as the 5.8 is way too under powered to tow much anyway. The cooler is the type with an adapter that's sandwiched between the block and the oil filter.

I have a few reasons for considering taking it off. One is that the truck mostly sees short, back roads trips so I wonder if it does more harm than good by keeping the oil too cool. The hardest this truck ever works is occasionally hauling a 2500lb camper on hunting and fishing trips. Another reason I was thinking about removing it was so I could use up my stash of FL1a filters. The main reason I want to get rid of it is that I'm replacing all the hoses and the hose for the cooler is an extra fifty bucks. (Yeah, I'm a tightwad).

What do you all think?

As rooflessVW said a oil cooler will never keep your oil too cool, it will just drop it's temperature a little which will help it break down more slowly. I would keep it as is, because you said you do haul a 2,500 lbs camper and it's part of the towing package so it's there for a reason. If Ford felt that your 5.8 towing package OBS F-250 didn't need a oil cooler than they would have never included it in the package and saved themselves some money.

One more vote for keeping it. Oil/coolant heat exchanger is dual purpose. Since coolant gets hot much quicker, after start-up the OCHE will warm the oil. After warm-up it'll keep oil temps moderate since coolant has a huge radiator. I thought about retrofitting one on the Cooper (Cooper S comes with and Cooper without) and my main motivation is warm-up aka reduced dilution.

Actually the main reasons I am thinking about removing the cooler isn't for optimizing performance or oil temperature. I just feel like the truck doesn't need it the way the truck is used. Lots of these trucks came without the cooler, and removing it lets me use up a bunch of filters from my stash and saves me the cost replacing some expensive hoses.

If it was a factory option and you have no use for that function any longer, removing it wont hurt anything. I would hang on to it though just incase you ever decide to sell you can give it to the new owner who might want to tow.

It depends. If the engine is getting up to temp less quick without this oil/coolant heat exchanger, then it does "hurt" to remove it.
Did you read this post. He said short back road trips. Nothing is getting up to operating temp and it sure is not spending enough time there to do anything.

Yes, thats why I said it wont matter. Contrary to some statements above, the coolant does not get warm faster than the oil. They both start at ambient temp. But while the oil is being pumped to the cylinder walls, connecting rods, squeezed through bearing and absorbing friction and combustion heat the coolant is sitting behind a thermostat that has not opened yet and insulated in the water jacket in the block. The coolant always lags the block temp while the oil leads the block temp. And as soon as the thermostat opens cold water starts trying to take heat from the block and the oil.

Yes, thats why I said it wont matter. Contrary to some statements above, the coolant does not get warm faster than the oil. They both start at ambient temp. But while the oil is being pumped to the cylinder walls, connecting rods, squeezed through bearing and absorbing friction and combustion heat the coolant is sitting behind a thermostat that has not opened yet and insulated in the water jacket in the block. The coolant always lags the block temp while the oil leads the block temp. And as soon as the thermostat opens cold water starts trying to take heat from the block and the oil.
I have monitored coolant and oil temperatures, and this is completely backwards to what I have found on every engine I have owned. Coolant ALWAYS heats up faster than oil sump temperatures. By a large margin no less. I find the statement above to be wholly incorrect.

To the OP, leave to oil heat exchanger, it is as a matter of fact going to bring the bulk oil temperature up more quickly than without. (Source: I retrofitted a oil heat exchanger from a Forester XT onto my Scion FRS, there was a 10 minute faster oil warmup time from ambient, usually.)

I agree with @MacManus99 It is backwards. On an ambient start, the oil is circulating through ambient temp components while the stationary coolant in the coolant jackets around the cylinder walls, cylinder head and exhaust ports, absorbs the heat from combustion.

On a mild day driving around town, the oil temperature is likely to not even exceed the coolant temperature.

There's absolutely no doubt that coolant warms up quicker than oil and that's always been consensus everywhere. This is the first time in more than 30 years in this business I hear someone claiming the opposite. It's just absurd and not worth discussing.

So while I am really not looking for an argument, you are telling me that oil splashed onto cylinder walls and connecting rods right after combustion stays cooler that the water in the block. The block does not magically get hot. Like a pan on a stove full of water the pan has to get hot to transfer the heat to the water. Now if you are saying that the oil in the pan after it has gone through the cooler has cooled down before it goes back to the engine is colder than the water sitting stationary in the block waiting for the thermostat to open then I might agree. It really depends on where and when you measure the fluid. But if you run an engine for 4 or 5 min on a cool day I guaranty the oil coming out of the oil return will be hotter than the water drained from the radiator. The water cannot get hotter than the block but the oil can and does.

Last edited:
Back